IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Citrumelo looking festive

WSimpson

Hundreds of fruit this year . It really look good when it's cloudy outside because the bright yellow  fruit contrasts really well when it's less sunny . I'll add a cloudy picture when the weather permits . Zoom in to see that it is loaded   :

50506499768_58f1df65bd_b.jpgUntitled by william simpson, on Flickr

A closer look :

50507364587_0a6656bee4_b.jpgUntitled by william simpson, on Flickr

Edited by Will Simpson

2 hours ago, Will Simpson said:

Added this bad picture quality picture  that was taken early in the morning when the fruit is easier to see due to less sun on the plant . . 

Nice!  Not familiar with this citrus but looks like a winner for zone 8.  Is the fruit any good?  I'm getting my first Orlando tangelo and Myer's lemon soon.  I planted a Rio Red grapefruit this spring so perhaps some fruit from it next year.

Jon Sunder

1 hour ago, Fusca said:

Nice!  Not familiar with this citrus but looks like a winner for zone 8.  Is the fruit any good?  I'm getting my first Orlando tangelo and Myer's lemon soon.  I planted a Rio Red grapefruit this spring so perhaps some fruit from it next year.

The fruit is pretty bitter but maybe with a little sugar added it might taste OK ? It is a combination of Poncirus trifoliata  and a grape fruit , with  hardiness at least  4F which is the lowest it has seen here since I planted it . 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, amh said:

Good looking tree, what do you do with the fruit?

I always try and juice some of the fruit ,  but I found the person  who sold me the plant as a small tree  and he wants the seed from all the fruit . He sells palms at a Charlotte farmer's market and told me that if I gave him the fruit I could pick out a plant from some of the plants he's selling at the  farmer's market .

Maybe I'll take a trip down to Charlotte ?

27 minutes ago, Will Simpson said:

The fruit is pretty bitter but maybe with a little sugar added it might taste OK ? It is a combination of Poncirus trifoliata  and a grape fruit , with  hardiness at least  4F which is the lowest it has seen here since I planted it . 

Might work with gin.

In my opinion Poncirus Trifoliata has a pleasant but sour taste, I've not noticed the bitterness in the juice.

26 minutes ago, Will Simpson said:

I always try and juice some of the fruit ,  but I found the person  who sold me the plant as a small tree  and he wants the seed from all the fruit . He sells palms at a Charlotte farmer's market and told me that if I gave him the fruit I could pick out a plant from some of the plants he's selling at the  farmer's market .

Maybe I'll take a trip down to Charlotte ?

He's probably using them for root stock.

Trading the seed for a palm sounds like a good deal.