Sign in to follow this  
WaianaeCrider

Beccariophoenix alfredii

WaianaeCrider

Weather man been promising rain for a week.  Had about 0.04".  LOL  But it has been cloudy w/high humidity and seems like good planting weather.  One more in the ground before lunch from the September order from FB.  This would be the 4th out of 15.

20201018_110239.jpg

20201018_110254.jpg

20201018_110325.jpg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 2

DoomsDave

@WaianaeCrider, give that thing room. Soon it will be a monster. And a beautiful one!

Kind of like a humongous French Poodle Dobie.

• Like 1

Mike Evans

Why the shade cloth?  BA love full Sun, even when small.

• Like 1

sonoranfans
9 minutes ago, Mike Evans said:

Why the shade cloth?  BA love full Sun, even when small.

yep no need for any shade for BA.  They grow 2x as fast in full sun with more leaves too.  If you want to it be happy those trees within 15' need to go.  These are huge palms when happy and they should do very well in oahu.

WaianaeCrider
5 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

yep no need for any shade for BA.  They grow 2x as fast in full sun with more leaves too.  If you want to it be happy those trees within 15' need to go.  These are huge palms when happy and they should do very well in oahu.

Always use something for shade for a start.  These were grown on the Big Island where it's a lot cooler and cloudyer.  It will come down soon.  After creating the terrace I put it up before I had determined what to plant there.

Edited by WaianaeCrider
Additional information

krishnaraoji88
On 10/19/2020 at 2:26 PM, WaianaeCrider said:

Always use something for shade for a start.  These were grown on the Big Island where it's a lot cooler and cloudyer.  It will come down soon.  After creating the terrace I put it up before I had determined what to plant there.

The BA actually tolerated going straight to sun. This was one of the easiest palms I got from Floribunda, the BF mostly died from hating the sand calcerous soil over in my area.

WaianaeCrider
9 hours ago, krishnaraoji88 said:

The BA actually tolerated going straight to sun. This was one of the easiest palms I got from Floribunda, the BF mostly died from hating the sand calcerous soil over in my area.

When I started building the terraces and put up the shade cloth the Haole Koa had no leafs and it was blazing hot there.  That area had never been used by me and had only seen water from the sky so the deep soil was very dry.  I began watering as soon as the terrace was done to build up ground water/moisture.  That also sprouted at least 50 million Haole Koa seeds that have been falling there for the past 50 years. LOL  After about a month of watering the Haole Koa have really filled out and I'm sure I can take down the shade clothe.  This "storm" the past few days has only brought about an inch of rain, but it's come slowly and not done any erosion.  I was worried because just before it I walked around the place and tossed out 100 lbs of palm fertilizer.  I was worried it would all get washed down to the ocean in a heavey down pour.

• Like 1