• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Beccariophoenix alfredii

WaianaeCrider

Weather man been promising rain for a week.  Had about 0.04".  LOL  But it has been cloudy w/high humidity and seems like good planting weather.  One more in the ground before lunch from the September order from FB.  This would be the 4th out of 15.

20201018_110239.jpg

20201018_110254.jpg

20201018_110325.jpg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 2

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

@WaianaeCrider, give that thing room. Soon it will be a monster. And a beautiful one!

Kind of like a humongous French Poodle Dobie.

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

9 minutes ago, Mike Evans said:

Why the shade cloth?  BA love full Sun, even when small.

yep no need for any shade for BA.  They grow 2x as fast in full sun with more leaves too.  If you want to it be happy those trees within 15' need to go.  These are huge palms when happy and they should do very well in oahu.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

5 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

yep no need for any shade for BA.  They grow 2x as fast in full sun with more leaves too.  If you want to it be happy those trees within 15' need to go.  These are huge palms when happy and they should do very well in oahu.

Always use something for shade for a start.  These were grown on the Big Island where it's a lot cooler and cloudyer.  It will come down soon.  After creating the terrace I put it up before I had determined what to plant there.

Edited by WaianaeCrider
Additional information

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

On 10/19/2020 at 2:26 PM, WaianaeCrider said:

Always use something for shade for a start.  These were grown on the Big Island where it's a lot cooler and cloudyer.  It will come down soon.  After creating the terrace I put it up before I had determined what to plant there.

The BA actually tolerated going straight to sun. This was one of the easiest palms I got from Floribunda, the BF mostly died from hating the sand calcerous soil over in my area.

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

9 hours ago, krishnaraoji88 said:

The BA actually tolerated going straight to sun. This was one of the easiest palms I got from Floribunda, the BF mostly died from hating the sand calcerous soil over in my area.

When I started building the terraces and put up the shade cloth the Haole Koa had no leafs and it was blazing hot there.  That area had never been used by me and had only seen water from the sky so the deep soil was very dry.  I began watering as soon as the terrace was done to build up ground water/moisture.  That also sprouted at least 50 million Haole Koa seeds that have been falling there for the past 50 years. LOL  After about a month of watering the Haole Koa have really filled out and I'm sure I can take down the shade clothe.  This "storm" the past few days has only brought about an inch of rain, but it's come slowly and not done any erosion.  I was worried because just before it I walked around the place and tossed out 100 lbs of palm fertilizer.  I was worried it would all get washed down to the ocean in a heavey down pour.

• Like 1

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae