• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Spring down under

cbmnz

Mixed bag this week. Third coldest Oct day on record (since 1970) on Thursday with high 9.9C would be  a below average day mid winter. Near miss of a late frost yesterday morning had the local growers nervous and get helicopters in air. I got away with a low +1.6C , nothing froze. Trying an A. Alexandrae as experimental planting,  has been in a pot outside since early June, protected by the house but that should have got it used to the climate before planting hopefully.

20201018_123906.jpg

• Like 1

Still mild here with high teens and just getting into the twenties just. Had a 3.1C minimum on Saturday morning. Too cold for October.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Looks like we get into the 20s C come Sunday and basically stay there for a bit. Rain has dried up though.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

26C on Monday forecast here. Warmest day in ages. 

29C and dry today. Very blowy. Forecast fog tomorrow morning. The weather has switched now. At the end of the week high twenties then rain on Sunday Monday possibly. The nights have come up in temp. We didnt have the fire on lastnight after we got to 27C yesterday. No need for it.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

What would you think if you saw this approaching towards home ?
122691997_4039623469387725_8987036837656196944_n.jpg.3238850c0faad9aa2c0f4c8ca656a010.jpg
122370095_4039623392721066_148621068970842931_n.jpg.17244e236c6127e664ca3f8ba1e03db2.jpg
So I jumped in the Ute and zoomed over to Bunnings for 100kg of Dynamic Lifter and 20kgs of Lawn fertilizer...
And not a single drop of rain !
Storm died in the ass before it reached the Northern Suburbs....all the rain fell out in the rural areas and Palmerston.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, greysrigging said:

122691997_4039623469387725_8987036837656196944_n.jpg.3238850c0faad9aa2c0f4c8ca656a010.jpg
122370095_4039623392721066_148621068970842931_n.jpg.17244e236c6127e664ca3f8ba1e03db2.jpg
So I jumped in the Ute and zoomed over to Bunnings for 100kg of Dynamic Lifter and 20kgs of Lawn fertilizer...
Storm died in the ass before it reached the Northern Suburbs....all the rain fell out in the rural areas and Palmerston.

You should got a barbie started, it would have poured down then!

21 hours ago, greysrigging said:

I only got 7.4mm out of that, the first rain in a couple of weeks. Every day is a day closer to the monsoon. Either today or tomorrow the sun is directly overhead. After that the sun is to our south for the next few months.

17 minutes ago, tropicbreeze said:

I only got 7.4mm out of that, the first rain in a couple of weeks. Every day is a day closer to the monsoon. Either today or tomorrow the sun is directly overhead. After that the sun is to our south for the next few months.

A quick fire 10mm in 10 mins ( Leanyer ) at lunchtime.

122780322_10158640427599451_1189785624231270880_n.jpg

37c forecast for Perth tomorrow but fortunately cooling down over the weekend with some rain forecast, hopefully we get some.

• Upvote 1

Could be a record set in Perth tomorrow.

10 hours ago, sandgroper said:

37c forecast for Perth tomorrow but fortunately cooling down over the weekend with some rain forecast, hopefully we get some.

Looks like some interesting thunderstorm activity coming through which will get through to the south coast. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tyrone said:

Looks like some interesting thunderstorm activity coming through which will get through to the south coast. 

I'm hoping for some rain Tyrone but I'm not too keen on 37c, I'm at work welding all day and not too pleasant at the moment,  fortunately I have a few cold beers in the fridge when I get home and it's my sprinkler day.

There is a low level heatwave forecast in the coastal regions of the Top End, and severe to extreme in the  inland areas and south west of Darwin in Katherine and the Gregory districts.
Gove Airport had a new Oct record max of 37.2c yesterday ( although the town site at Nhulanbuy had a 37.8 back in 1982. ).
There are a couple of +42c's forecast in Katherine which is up there in record territory for the RAAF Base at Tindal just south of Katherine.
I was working out along the Victoria Highway west of Timber Creek 12 months ago. Was brutal out there......over 60 days above 40c before Xmas. !

Perth the last 5 days ( typical spring weather down south, alternates between summer and winter )
29th - 31.6c
30th - 36.6c
31st - 25.3c
1st  - 16.2c and 20.6mm rain
2nd - 21.5c ( so far ) and 11.6mm
So the first 2 days of November have exceeded the monthly mean of 23.3mm.

• Upvote 1

Having a great Spring at the moment. Very warm, not much wind, but also keep getting 10mm of rain every day or three. As I posted in the travel log sub-forum, the countryside looks like this atm, grass is going ballistic. 

Since Oct 21, perfect growing temperatures

Oct 21 max: 21.6 min: 12.9
 Oct 22 max: 25.4 min: 11.4
 Oct 23 max: 24.6 min: 11.1
 Oct 24 max: 24.2 min: 14.9
 Oct 25 max: 25.4 min: 15.2
 Oct 26 max: 24.8 min: 12.3
 Oct 27 max: 24.2 min: 14.0
 Oct 28 max: 21.9 min: 13.3
 Oct 29 max: 22.8 min: 13.8
 Oct 30 max: 21.2 min: 15.3
 Oct 31 max: 21.9 min: 14.4
 Nov 1 max: 22.9 min: 12.3
 Nov 2 max: 24.4 min: 10.0

A new little find I spotted yesterday- despite being a little North, Morrinsville at 34m is right in a low part of large basin so may be wrong but think gets a little harder radiation frosts than some other central-upper NI towns. But clearly has not stopped this Bangalow or King from reaching  this size.

image.thumb.png.3b80102178d73dc44fb90358ab427dcb.png

A pws nearby

image.png.ac68f899e0e455ffdc0558e147becbaa.png

20201101_192249.jpg

Edited by cbmnz
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, cbmnz said:

Having a great Spring at the moment. Very warm, not much wind, but also keep getting 10mm of rain every day or three. As I posted in the travel log sub-forum, the countryside looks like this atm, grass is going ballistic. 

Since Oct 21, perfect growing temperatures

Oct 21 max: 21.6 min: 12.9
 Oct 22 max: 25.4 min: 11.4
 Oct 23 max: 24.6 min: 11.1
 Oct 24 max: 24.2 min: 14.9
 Oct 25 max: 25.4 min: 15.2
 Oct 26 max: 24.8 min: 12.3
 Oct 27 max: 24.2 min: 14.0
 Oct 28 max: 21.9 min: 13.3
 Oct 29 max: 22.8 min: 13.8
 Oct 30 max: 21.2 min: 15.3
 Oct 31 max: 21.9 min: 14.4
 Nov 1 max: 22.9 min: 12.3
 Nov 2 max: 24.4 min: 10.0

A new little find I spotted yesterday- despite being a little North, Morrinsville at 34m is right in a low part of large basin so may be wrong but think gets a little harder radiation frosts than some other central-upper NI towns. But clearly has not stopped this Bangalow or King from reaching  this size.

image.thumb.png.3b80102178d73dc44fb90358ab427dcb.png

A pws nearby

image.png.ac68f899e0e455ffdc0558e147becbaa.png

20201101_192249.jpg

It’s looking really green there.

We had a dry October after a wet August September but since Saturday weve had around 23mm of rain and thunderstorms but not as warm as you in the day. What you are getting now is our summer temps but the crucial differences to our summers is you are getting consistent rain as well. Beautiful weather.

• Like 1

Average high for Oct is 18C and November only 20C so these are summer temps over a month early, and warmer than normal nights as well.  What is unusual is how long it is going on for.  Hope you in WA keep getting rain through summer as well, perhaps  la nina will deliver that.

• Upvote 1

October temp averages for us this year were 9.0 min to 20.4C max. I think we were a degree warmer during the day than the long term average. 

Rainfall here for September/October has been average. But these are two very low rainfall months so average is very little despite it being the wet season officially.

We had a great dose of rain in Perth a couple of days ago, we had above average rainfall for November on the first day of the month!

• Upvote 1

Cow of a day in Darwin ( Airport ) 35.9c ( 96.6f ) and likely 2c warmer out at my son's place in Palmerston ( 20klm inland ) where we were pouring a shed slab.
16.2 cubic meters.  6.30am start ( to beat the heat....lol ).....28c, DPs 24c, RH 80%.....and a 4.00am downpour just to steam the morning up some.....

20201106_070214.jpg

20201106_072704.jpg

20201106_085502.jpg

Finally got some good weather this weekend with blue skies and temps in the 20s. Been dealing with cloud and drissle and driving easterlies that are just a bit too cool off the cool southern ocean for the last few days. The winds have been gusty unrelenting and annoying.

On 11/6/2020 at 6:25 PM, greysrigging said:

Cow of a day in Darwin ( Airport ) 35.9c ( 96.6f ) and likely 2c warmer out at my son's place in Palmerston ( 20klm inland ) where we were pouring a shed slab.
16.2 cubic meters.  6.30am start ( to beat the heat....lol ).....28c, DPs 24c, RH 80%.....and a 4.00am downpour just to steam the morning up some.....

What a coincidence, I was pouring a slab on Friday as well.  Been hosing it down regularly. High temps are drying it out too quickly.

gwn20110616c.jpg.b21d609b2694f99bdfa89361e7818273.jpg

On 11/6/2020 at 8:58 PM, greysrigging said:

Been a hot day, now a cooling storm.... !

It's the typical split around Noonamah, you can see the rain dissipating as it approaches. Only got 4mm out of that.

• Like 1

The dog days of November.... 
"

Darwin sets another Daily Heat Record and Darwin’s Hottest start to November.
-Palmerston Weather 7.11.20
36.2C at the Darwin airport beats 35.3C from 1979. This makes it the 2nd Daily Heat record in just 7 days. The other being 36C on the 2nd.
The November record still stands at 37.3C from 1.11.2018.
However, now these high temps may not be close to all-time records, but with the 1st week of November now having a maximum temp average of 35.36C, it is now the hottest 1st week in November on record, even surpassing the 1st week in 2018 when it set the monthly record of 37.3C. That week averaged 34.8C (3rd hottest 1st week). In comparison, the long term average is 33.3C for the same time period.
Hottest 1st week in November are now:
1st 2020 (35.36c), 2nd 1993 (34.99c), 3rd 2018 (34.77c and holds Nov record). But anything can happen in the next 3 weeks. Back in 2015, that year would currently sit in 19th and then ended up being the hottest November on record, averaging 34.7C. Will 2020 end up being the hottest November? Stay tuned....
Other notable temps in the NT (nothing unusual)-
37.2C at Noonamah and Middle Point
39.4C at Tindal
40.4C at Jabiru, Oenpelli and Boroloola
40.9C at Ngukurr
41C at McArthur River Mine
This months highest in the NT stands at 43.3C on the 4th at Lajamanu airport. This place nearly killed me in ’76 and looks to continually try for the locals.
NT Nov record still stands at 46.1C at Rabbit Flat, 18.11.1990.
BOM-Heatwave Situation for Saturday, Sunday, & Monday (3 days starting 7/11/2020)
Areas of low-intensity to severe heatwave across parts of northern Australia, with small areas of extreme heatwave across the Top End. Low-intensity heatwave conditions are also forecast in southeast WA and western SA.
123513413_4739802252728924_9091446355599305117_n.png.1dfa2899cede16c994247e657e69fc71.png

Those temperatures are alien to me, but so would the -4C we see some mornings ( last was winter 2015) be to a NT resident. Have been to Houston, Tx in a mid summer heatwave there 20 years ago. Decided to walk the 500m from hotel to a place to get some lunch and nearly didn't make it!  

4 minutes ago, cbmnz said:

Those temperatures are alien to me, but so would the -4C we see some mornings ( last was winter 2015) be to a NT resident. Have been to Houston, Tx in a mid summer heatwave there 20 years ago. Decided to walk the 500m from hotel to a place to get some lunch and nearly didn't make it!  

Yes, you have to be acclimatised to cope with the heat....36.6c at the Airport  today, our 4th +36c day this month. High humidity and DP's too.... these are our 'dog day's' before the monsoon breaks. I was out out my son's place this arvo pouring water on the new slab and pouring beer down my throat....haha....jeez its been a brutal week, even by Darwin standards !
And funnily enough, southern Territorians in the Alice Springs district would see -4c most winters.....the Alice record is -7.5c ( 18.5f )

Got to around 24C today with the rh around 80%. It’s a nice balmy humid evening here. Tomorrow will be thunderstorms rain high winds and even the possibility of small hail as an intense low pressure cell moves in. The farmers will be cursing the timing of this one. I weeded and cleaned up an area that was severely damaged by frost today. Put about 60kg of fertiliser out and hopefully the rain will wash it all in. Then when the warm humid weather returns we should start to see some strong growth.

Absolutely pouring down here at the moment, they say we'll get more tomorrow and then it will come back towards the end of the week. I think November may break a few records for rainfall in Perth! I love it :D

Pelting down here now. We will exceed the November average rain of 48mm this year. I think we are at 37mm and it's only just begun. Thursday is the only non rainy day this week and we've got thunderstorms and heavy rain back by next weekend.

22 hours ago, greysrigging said:

Yes, you have to be acclimatised to cope with the heat....36.6c at the Airport  today, our 4th +36c day this month. High humidity and DP's too.... these are our 'dog day's' before the monsoon breaks. I was out out my son's place this arvo pouring water on the new slab and pouring beer down my throat....haha....jeez its been a brutal week, even by Darwin standards !
And funnily enough, southern Territorians in the Alice Springs district would see -4c most winters.....the Alice record is -7.5c ( 18.5f )

Good point I didn't think of. NT goes all the way down to Alice Springs. I See Queen palms can grow there. (Desert palms resort)

1 hour ago, Tyrone said:

Pelting down here now. We will exceed the November average rain of 48mm this year. I think we are at 37mm and it's only just begun. Thursday is the only non rainy day this week and we've got thunderstorms and heavy rain back by next weekend.

Same here, something has flicked the switch and rain in abundance. Heavy rain Sat night. Again overnight, sunny this morning but steady rain and thunder all afternoon. Will stay green all summer at this rate.

4 hours ago, cbmnz said:

Same here, something has flicked the switch and rain in abundance. Heavy rain Sat night. Again overnight, sunny this morning but steady rain and thunder all afternoon. Will stay green all summer at this rate.

Yeah. This little area if it continues like this could be western NZ. The climate here doesn’t feel like mainland Australia much anyway.