Sign in to follow this  
NatureGirl

Dypsis leptocheilos seeds?

NatureGirl

Any Interest in Dypsis leptocheilos aka (Teddy Bear Palm)? Price would be  $8/50 or $15/100 plus shipping. I don’t have these on hand but can drive down and pick up if enough interest. Easy to sprout. 
Beachpalms@cfl.rr.com

1C420229-26F8-40E3-A2F7-FBB842CC5678.jpeg

• Like 4

Eastendr

Absolutely!

DoomsDave

I'll take 100!

NatureGirl

OK Great, thanks for responses. I will go pick them up this week!

NatureGirl

My seedlings from last year...

3830988D-D60A-4760-8F24-05A8E65AE728.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Reeverse

I would take some for sure

NatureGirl

Gonna pick up 1000 tomorrow.

Tjohnson

Anyone know the trick to germinating these? I picked up 1000 from a PlamTalker with 0% germination and it’s been months.

Johnny Palmseed
5 minutes ago, Tjohnson said:

Anyone know the trick to germinating these? I picked up 1000 from a PlamTalker with 0% germination and it’s been months.

Funny you should ask on this thread. The trick is to get some from @NatureGirl. I don’t know what it is but she always has good stuff. If you have 1000 and no germination, those seeds are duds.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

NatureGirl

Thanks for compliment Johnny! 

1 hour ago, Tjohnson said:

These are easy to sprout when fresh, my experience is about 6 weeks (With Heat). But can sometimes take up to 2 months. If it’s been longer than that, and you have zero germination, chances are they are old, dried out too much, or had been laying on ground too long. (Tiny bugs can get to embryo when On ground too long).

• Like 3

DoomsDave

This species is so so worth any trouble to grow!

My two big ones are the stars of my garden show, everyone swoons over them. They're about 20 feet tall now, my heart jumps with happiness every time I gaze into those glossy green and fuzzy red crowns.

I've found for growth: warmth (not desert heat, alas), plenty of moisture, etc., like for king palms (Archies) EXCEPT they are NOT swamp things that like boggy conditions. Keep in well-drained well watered soil, and you'll have palms to plant make people swoon, or give as gifts that are gratefully received. (Or plants for sale.)

They're NOT fast like King palms, but so totally worth the wait.

Meg if I had more room I'd take all 1,000 but I don't want to be too big of a pig.

• Upvote 2

Johnny Palmseed
1 hour ago, DoomsDave said:

Meg if I had more room I'd take all 1,000 but I don't want to be too big of a pig.

Meg’s not here. I believe she lives in another part of Florida.

DoomsDave
4 minutes ago, Johnny Palmseed said:

Meg’s not here. I believe she lives in another part of Florida.

EEEK

@NatureGirl sorry

But, the palms rock and so do the seeds.

Fusca

I agree with John - Charlene has great seeds!  Just some additional info, I collected a couple of green fruits from a Dypsis leptocheilos that had fallen from the tree since there were no ripe fruit around.  I didn't expect anything but both seeds germinated after about 6 months! 

• Like 3

NatureGirl

I have no problems shipping internationally, costs are high though, sometimes more expensive than the seeds. Also, I must use a customs form and declare detailed contents.  Palm Seed, Genus and species.

• Like 1