IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis leptocheilos seeds?

NatureGirl

Any Interest in Dypsis leptocheilos aka (Teddy Bear Palm)? Price would be  $8/50 or $15/100 plus shipping. I don’t have these on hand but can drive down and pick up if enough interest. Easy to sprout. 
Beachpalms@cfl.rr.com

1C420229-26F8-40E3-A2F7-FBB842CC5678.jpeg

• Like 4

Warrior Palm Princess, Satellite Beach, Florida

I'll take 100!

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

OK Great, thanks for responses. I will go pick them up this week!

5 minutes ago, Tjohnson said:

Anyone know the trick to germinating these? I picked up 1000 from a PlamTalker with 0% germination and it’s been months.

Funny you should ask on this thread. The trick is to get some from @NatureGirl. I don’t know what it is but she always has good stuff. If you have 1000 and no germination, those seeds are duds.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for compliment Johnny! 

1 hour ago, Tjohnson said:

Anyone know the trick to germinating these? I picked up 1000 from a PlamTalker with 0% germination and it’s been months.

These are easy to sprout when fresh, my experience is about 6 weeks (With Heat). But can sometimes take up to 2 months. If it’s been longer than that, and you have zero germination, chances are they are old, dried out too much, or had been laying on ground too long. (Tiny bugs can get to embryo when On ground too long).

• Like 3

This species is so so worth any trouble to grow!

My two big ones are the stars of my garden show, everyone swoons over them. They're about 20 feet tall now, my heart jumps with happiness every time I gaze into those glossy green and fuzzy red crowns.

I've found for growth: warmth (not desert heat, alas), plenty of moisture, etc., like for king palms (Archies) EXCEPT they are NOT swamp things that like boggy conditions. Keep in well-drained well watered soil, and you'll have palms to plant make people swoon, or give as gifts that are gratefully received. (Or plants for sale.)

They're NOT fast like King palms, but so totally worth the wait.

Meg if I had more room I'd take all 1,000 but I don't want to be too big of a pig.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

1 hour ago, DoomsDave said:

Meg if I had more room I'd take all 1,000 but I don't want to be too big of a pig.

Meg’s not here. I believe she lives in another part of Florida.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Johnny Palmseed said:

Meg’s not here. I believe she lives in another part of Florida.

EEEK

@NatureGirl sorry

But, the palms rock and so do the seeds.

I agree with John - Charlene has great seeds!  Just some additional info, I collected a couple of green fruits from a Dypsis leptocheilos that had fallen from the tree since there were no ripe fruit around.  I didn't expect anything but both seeds germinated after about 6 months! 

• Like 3

Jon Sunder

I have no problems shipping internationally, costs are high though, sometimes more expensive than the seeds. Also, I must use a customs form and declare detailed contents.  Palm Seed, Genus and species.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 10/21/2020 at 1:44 PM, NatureGirl said:

I have no problems shipping internationally, costs are high though, sometimes more expensive than the seeds. Also, I must use a customs form and declare detailed contents.  Palm Seed, Genus and species.

I have never filed a customs declaration whenever I was sending seeds to other countries than members of European Union. I have sent seeds to Mexico, Russia, Australia, New Zealand, French Guyana,  Canada and last but not least the USA several times. It is sufficient that I agree with customer, that the risk of seed getting consficated at the entrance point will be his only. And usually it works fine, only case that seeds did not make to the final destination was in a peculiar way France, where recipient got hold of an emptied parcel!

Edited by Phoenikakias

2 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

I have never filed a customs declaration whenever I was sending seeds to other countries than members of European Union. I have sent seeds to Mexico, Russia, Australia, New Zealand, French Guyana,  Canada and last but not least the USA several times. It is sufficient that I agree with customer, that the risk of seed getting consficated at the entrance point will be his only. And usually it works fine, only case that seeds did not make to the final destination was in a peculiar way France, where recipient got hold of an emptied parcel!

US Customs is cracking down on any plant material sent without phytos, etc. They can x-ray boxes & envelopes, see/read any paperwork and plants/seeds, then seize suspicious material. Things are changing regarding shipping plant material and people can no longer get away with lying or hiding what's in a box. RPS now includes non-negotiable phytos with its seeds and charges hefty fees for them. Other countries do or eventually will require the same. I can't provide phytos for my seeds without dealing with the devil - i.e., the US Gov't. No packet of seeds is worth the risk or misery.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

That ever single mail is going through x rays is hard for me to believe it. I had sent at least twice seeds in southwest and southeast of USA one year ago and yes, they arrived at their final destination. Last year I also had sent 2 x 50 seeds of Phoenix hybrid seeds to Texas by filling a special US declaration, which was effectively a reassurement that seeds were healthy, also this lot managed to reach the recipient. Not to mention that I had bypassed the rigorous inspections of New Zealand quite recently.  All that stuff about x-rays inspection of all inbound mail indinstiguishably is rather an intimidating scarecrow. Of course if a firm sends a parcel with  a logo printed  indicating a seed company and seeds amount to hundred or more those are primary objects of inspection. 

• 6 months later...

I am asking again if you have any Dypsis leptocheilos seeds this year since this post is closer too this year (2020) than the other (2019).

Thanks,

William

I too am bummed I couldn’t get any Teddy seeds this year. I went down in August to check out the trees myself, but there was only dead bloom stalks. I guess they took a rest this year. 

• Upvote 2

• 9 months later...

I may be able to get some. If I am successful, I will update on here. Would anyone be interested in some if I do find? 

7 hours ago, PalmMom007 said:

I have seedlings tho, variety of sizes if anyone would like. 

Can you ship to Texas? I know some growers can't. 

9 hours ago, DDavid said:

Photos?

9 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Can you ship to Texas? I know some growers can't. 

Yes, we are certified to ship to ALL states including TX, CA, and AZ . I am on my way back to the farm now and will get some pictures for you for seedlings. 

10 hours ago, DDavid said:

Photos?

Here you go! 
  Pics of my 7g and 1g seedlings. 
thanks,

shelby 

(239) 318-0460

57118DF5-CFE0-4BA3-A764-F554F372D3A5.jpeg

90342179-DE38-46F6-AF3A-EEF353F93919.jpeg

46A036A1-6B7E-47CD-80FA-259BF72F7520.jpeg

3D7025DB-741D-48FA-8E0C-0E7D0EC9446F.jpeg

D1805BC6-BC2C-4AFB-83F4-BAF2E8F81F8A.jpeg