IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trachy growth this year .

WSimpson

My Trachy has put on a lot of new trunk this year .

Last year's growth was less . You can see 2 years of growth by looking at the distance between 2 years of inflorescences which in the picture is last year's inflorescences and the year before that year's inflorescences  , and that looks like about 8" . This year's growth is all the fiber above last spring's inflorescences which looks to be closing in on 2 feet of new trunk . 

How much growth have y'all seen on your Trachys ?

Thanks ,

Will

Two years of inflorescences plus this year's fiber above that .

50490098347_9f6a0de8b7_b.jpgUntitled by william simpson, on Flickr

Edited by Will Simpson
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Fastest growing has done about 28” of trunk since April. The slowest only around 3-4”. There is a wide variability among them even when planted next to each other I find. I have about 3 dozen in the ground of varying sizes. 

• Like 2

Thanks Chester . That is some incredible growth at your place .

I used to fertilize twice a year and water the piss out of all my palms in warm weather . I may do that again next season to see how much growth I can get out of them . 

I stopped fertilizing my Washy because it's getting so big it's getting hard to protect  . I won't fertilize that one any more . 

Will

If all my palms grew like that I'd be happy.  Trachycarpus really seem to do the best in this area of the country.  I fertilized this palm only once this year, usually I do once a month for at least 3 months but for whatever reason didn't get around to it.  It is located in one of the wetter spots in my yard in nice dark clay so that it what they really seem to like.  All of the ones I have in more sandy soil in my southern facing front yard don't nearly grow as fast.

I really want to start fertilizing again just to see how much of a difference it makes . All my Trachys added trunk but I'll have a good baseline now to see what the  difference next season .

Nice!  I have two that are going gangbusters this year.  Besides trunk growth I'd saw fronds are 1-2' longer on each

Here is trunk size on one at different dates

Trachy trunk height

3/2018  8"

6/2019 18"

8/2019 24"

4/2020 31"

6/2020 36"

8-2020 41"

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Nice growth Allen . 

I'm going to fertilize next year after not fertilizing this year . I'll be able to see how much of a difference it makes .

Will

• Like 1

On 10/17/2020 at 1:33 PM, Will Simpson said:

Last year's growth was less . You can see 2 years of growth by looking at the distance between 2 years of inflorescences which in the picture is last year's inflorescences and the year before that year's inflorescences  , and that looks like about 8" . This year's growth is all the fiber above last spring's inflorescences which looks to be closing in on 2 feet of new trunk . 

Thanks ,

Will

is there a way to shave a windmill palm and get all the hair and spikes off in my opinion the hair and spikes make it ugly but everyone likes what they like. :)

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

51 minutes ago, climate change virginia said:

is there a way to shave a windmill palm and get all the hair and spikes off in my opinion the hair and spikes make it ugly but everyone likes what they like. :)

Boxcutters and lots of hours.

how long does a trachycarpus fortunei take to get a 1 foot trunk from seed

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

38 minutes ago, climate change virginia said:

Varies quite a bit, I'll wild guess 6 years.  

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

On 10/22/2020 at 1:55 PM, climate change virginia said:

I was in a defibering frenzy about 7 years ago and I learned a lot . Only defiber the totally dead petioles . If there is any juicy petiole base tissue don't defiber . I did so much damage to so many Trachys by defibering too high on the trunk . I killed some beauties too . As of now I have about 3 of my Trachys where I have started to defiber them . I stopped the second I saw white petiole bases . So I've only defibered about a foot of trunk on those 3 Trachys . I haven't defibered any of my Trachys for a few years so thanks for reminding me that it's time to do a little more work on the trunks . 

I use a sharp pair of hand clippers and scissors to defiber the trunks .

Will

6 minutes ago, Will Simpson said:

I was in a defibering frenzy about 7 years ago and I learned a lot . Only defiber the totally dead petioles . If there is any juicy petiole base tissue don't defiber . I did so much damage to so many Trachys by defibering too high on the trunk . I killed some beauties too . As of now I have about 3 of my Trachys where I have started to defiber them . I stopped the second I saw white petiole bases . So I've only defibered about a foot of trunk on those 3 Trachys . I haven't defibered any of my Trachys for a few years so thanks for reminding me that it's time to do a little more work on the trunks . 

I use a sharp pair of hand clippers and scissors to defiber the trunks .

Will

thanks I think I should just keep it on if I ever grow a trachy

~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

15 hours ago, climate change virginia said:

Ok so this is 10 years from seed20201026_123702.thumb.jpg.0668323500bffe092d4fae88b4082c96.jpg

Scissors for scale.  In ground for 6 years.  Shade to part shade.

This is 5 years from a 3 gallon blue pot....

20201026_114950.thumb.jpg.0138abb4b8c4e4439cb2b6c74a0cdbcf.jpg

The top of the shed is just about 11 feet tall.  It got less sun when it was in the shadow of the shed and there were more trees pre 2018.  Morning sun only then.  Now 1/2 day.   It is happy.

• Like 4

Those are nice .

I wouldn't defiber the one in the first picture but you could check the bigger one . I'd  start by pulling on the very bottom fiber . Sometimes fiber is rotten there and you can yank it off by hand . Then you could pull down on the lowest petiole base and see if it is totally dead  . It looks to me that you might be able to cut a couple petioles bases at most . Again , don't cut the white juicy petiole bases . They should be dead all the way to the trunk . Then you can cut them off .

Will

9 minutes ago, Will Simpson said:

wouldn't defiber the one in the first picture but you could check the bigger one

So I'm kind of weird and like the shaggy trunks of windmills.

However I've been tugging on the leaf bases of my mule for years.  I'm excited to see some naked trunk under there.  Haha

I plan on leaving some Trachys with fiber and I will defiber others as I can depending on how much totally dead petiole bases they have . I think I will always tug at the bottom fiber on all my Trachys  in case it is rotten and just pulls off . That will leave at least a little  defibered trunk on all of my Trachys .

48 minutes ago, Joe NC said:

Ok so this is 10 years from seed20201026_123702.thumb.jpg.0668323500bffe092d4fae88b4082c96.jpg

The top of the shed is just about 11 feet tall.  It got less sun when it was in the shadow of the shed and there were more trees pre 2018.  Morning sun only then.  Now 1/2 day.   It is happy.

wow thats good for 10 years but I think a washingtonia is faster

~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

• 4 weeks later...

My Trachy grew about 2.5 feet of trunk this year. It's a crazy fast grower and has grown close to 13 feet since I planted it in 2016. This pic shows its growth the past year from November 2019 to November 2020.

IMG_2650.JPG

On 10/17/2020 at 1:33 PM, Will Simpson said:

Thanks ,

Will

At least 12”...it was a wet summer here and my Trachy is happy...getting it ready for winter and hoping for the best...I cut my inflorescence off since my Trachy is the only one around and I want it to direct energy to growth and not seed production...this past winter was really nice to my palms...hope this winter is a repeat of last.

4704FF8D-DB12-4750-9563-8ABA1BCC64A9.thumb.jpeg.f85578bd3f9e41fa6d621fc86c29c17a.jpeg

• Like 3

On 10/26/2020 at 10:52 AM, Joe NC said:

Very nice...  is that a brugmansia I see??

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

31 minutes ago, SailorBold said:

Very nice...  is that a brugmansia I see??

Yes.  That thing is a beast.   Has to be over 12' tall this year.

brug.thumb.jpg.6c72241fac95ce7bdc13094441fdfa7f.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Joe NC said:

Yes.  That thing is a beast.   Has to be over 12' tall this year.

brug.thumb.jpg.6c72241fac95ce7bdc13094441fdfa7f.jpg

Thats amazing!  Does it freeze to the ground every year?  Pretty root hardy??   I have one in a pot..  Datura is native here but not sure how well these can take heat and sun...  

Thats beautiful...

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

4 hours ago, SailorBold said:

Does it freeze to the ground every year?  Pretty root hardy??

It does freeze to the ground every year, and the stems die during pretty light freezes.  It has always come back from the roots, and it seems to have a really beefy and fleshy root system.

Also the easiest thing to propagate, just chop off any piece and it will root in water.  

• Like 2