IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

How to prune bromeliads

Gonzer

Didn't want this to get lost in the other bromeliad post so bear with me. Once your pride and joy has flowered and and starts getting a little ratty looking it's time to prune for pups. Exhibit 1...

Cutting the leaves will allow light and air and water to nourish the pups

1015201134_HDR.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and cut even when the centers still show some vibrancy. Mainly for space sake bt also for the much needed light.

1015201135_HDR.jpg

Edited by Gonzer
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Even when you think that your bromeliad has given all it can and looks like crap, with your finger scratch around the soil near the base. Many times a pup is hiding just below soil surface as shown here. This plant's been supplying pups since the Civil War but we managed to squeeze one more out. Offset just to the right at base.

1015201140_HDR.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

I lost a bromeliad to my dog chewing it to shreds.  For someone reason I kept it. All the leafs are gone.  4 pups now growing off the trunk.  Crazy. 

My dog is well behaved, but the raccoons occasionally tear up the Neoregelias.  :mellow: 

San Francisco, California

On 10/16/2020 at 1:25 PM, Gonzer said:

Cutting the leaves will allow light and air and water to nourish the pups

I should be providing a photo for my question, bupt didn't want to wait to go and take one.  I have an Alcantarea imperialis which is actually a pup off one I was growing in my old garden acquired when it was still Vriesea imperialis.  As it gets older there are a bunch of old dead brown leaves around the base even though the plant is still a ways off from flowering.  Should I be removing those old dead leaves to allow all the little pups at its base to get more light?  I feel a little guilty cutting them off, but they are brown and dead "leaves" if this is the correct term for bromeliads.  Thank you in advance for the advice.   I'm on third generation plantings from my original plant now with this second gen being my largest.

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

3 hours ago, Tracy said:

I should be providing a photo for my question, bupt didn't want to wait to go and take one.  I have an Alcantarea imperialis which is actually a pup off one I was growing in my old garden acquired when it was still Vriesea imperialis.  As it gets older there are a bunch of old dead brown leaves around the base even though the plant is still a ways off from flowering.  Should I be removing those old dead leaves to allow all the little pups at its base to get more light?  I feel a little guilty cutting them off, but they are brown and dead "leaves" if this is the correct term for bromeliads.  Thank you in advance for the advice.   I'm on third generation plantings from my original plant now with this second gen being my largest.

Cutting off dead leaves? Depends on which side of the fence you stand. Some folks like the natural look while others prefer the manicured look. Alcantereas, IMO, look much more decent when cleaned. The grass pups that that grow at the base will definitely benefit from a cleaning, no doubt about it. Be careful though. Dead leaves with no pups nearby can usually pull off if given a fast yank. Leave that have pups growing above or below a dead a dying leaf base should be cut off to avoid accidentally separating the small guys from Ma. Funny, I remember someone once told me that people who like the natural look often rooted for the East German women in the Olympics. (it was funny at the time)......still is.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Bump. Just got an alcantarea imperialis. Lots of grass pups on it. At first I didn’t know what they even were. @Gonzer How do I successfully remove and grow the grass pups? Thanks! 
Dustin

1 hour ago, Dusty CBAD said:

How do I successfully remove and grow the grass pups?

I have successfully removed them once they are about the size that you can get a finger inside the cup or vase portion, and don't bother with anything smaller on Alacantarea imperialis.  I use clippers and a small hand shovel to get down and try to get a root or two, but have broken them off with no roots and had them establish.  Good luck.

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation