IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

King palm as a canary for Dypsis?

Phoenikakias

If I am able to grow outdoors an Archontophoenix alexandrae (at least for some decades long), what Dypsis spp are also suitable for my climate? King palm should be considered as the border sp for my climate's capacity.

I think that's a reasonable test. The biggest thing which I have espoused before is related to heeled Dypsis. They are VERY slow to develop a healthy root system and thus are CRITICAL to drainage. 
As I have noted elsewhere, if you have great drainage, almost no issue, but if drainage is a potential issue, plant high and mound the soil up. If too much water, it will shed the water off. If needs more, add more.

• Like 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

In general, not a great barometer at least in my climate...all in the Archontophoenix genus grow well here, but few of the Dypsis.

If you can grow kings, Dypsis decipiens, decaryii, and anything in the baronii/onilahensis complex are good bets.  The decaryii/leptochelios hybrid is also a winner here.  I am experimenting with D. heteromorpha as well.

Most if not all other Dypsis melt in my climate - not due to absolute lows (never under 30F) but due to persistent damp and cool in the winter.

• Upvote 2

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

I have an adult Archontophoenix cunninghamiana 'Illawara',  The Dypsis which grow for me are D. ambositrae, and D. baronii.  D. lanceolata is possible, but not yet conclusive.

• Upvote 1

San Francisco, California

Dypsis leptocheilos has endured two winters outdoors in pots in Fresno with minor spotting (similar climate to Ben's in Clayton, except with significantly more heat in summer.) I planted a 4-inch prestoniana from Hawaii around the same time. That one's been in the ground this whole time, and while it hasn't grown much, it also hasn't had any issues with our cold. My soil is very sandy though, so drainage is very sharp where I live. 

10 minutes ago, Darold Petty said:

I have an adult Archontophoenix cunninghamiana 'Illawara',  The Dypsis which grow for me are D. ambositrae, and D. baronii.  D. lanceolata is possible, but not yet conclusive.

Ah yes - I forgot D. ambositrae as well, and I have like 15 of them!  LOL!

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

2 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

If I am able to grow outdoors an Archontophoenix alexandrae (at least for some decades long), what Dypsis spp are also suitable for my climate? King palm should be considered as the border sp for my climate's capacity.

I was reading through the diversity of responses you received.  It will depend on whether absolute cold, extended cool and/or your summer highs are your climate's Achilles heel.  The combination of those will all determine which species will survive along with your Archontophoenix alexandrae.  In my climate it isn't the absolute coldest nights that are the problem, instead it is the times of extended cool during the winter that some species don't like.  Since many of the heeled solitary species tend to be slower, experimenting with one or more of the clumping species might be your next "canary" for growing other more challenging species.  At least try one or more of the clumping ones simultaneous with any of the large solitary species.  While slow to get going, the most tolerant of the large heeled Dypsis are probably decipiens (heat and excellent drainage) and prestoniana. 

In my climate I would recommend Dypsis onilahensis and heteromorpha as probably the most tolerant of highs and lows, without showing leaf burn.  On the opposite end of the scale are cabadaee, mayotte, lutescens, pembana and lanceolata (in increasing tolerance order).  The latter ones tend to show more leaf tip burn and spotting with extremes of heat and cold for me, while onilahensis and heteromorpha will almost always hold more good looking leaves which fall off on their own. 

Ben mentioned Dypsis ambositrae, which is somewhat variable.  I remember seeing a number of different specimens that Hilo Jason was growing in his Fallbrook garden several years ago.   Some faster than others, some more tolerant of sun.  I have experienced the same with the two I have in my garden.  So be aware if you try this species that there may be a couple of slightly different plants grown as Dypsis ambositrae which may appreciate more or less sun and have different growth rates. My slower one is showing more of a saxophone growth habitp from it's heel while the other seems to be more upright and appreciate a full sun position.  Good luck with whatever you select and share your results!

• Like 3

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

This is an interesting conversation. I'll add my two cents from inland SoCal.... summer highs in the 110 (43-45 Celsius) range...  winter lows generally around 32 (0 Celsius) , although in some years down to as low as 28 (-2 Celsius) for a night or two. 

Archontophoenix- Cunninghamia are pretty bulletproof. I've lost unprotected Alexandrae and Purpurea during the winter. Protected success with Maxima and Purpurea, Illawara and Beatricii. 

Dypsis- I've lost Carlsmithii, several Decipiens, Heteromorpha, Slick Willy.  Bulletproof seem to be Baronii, Onilahensis, Ambositrae, Pembana, Lutescens. Protected success with Leptocheilos, some Hybrids, and one Decipiens (out of 5-6 I've tried). Hoping for success with Prestoniana, Lafamazanga, Hovomantsira, Pilulifera, and a few others....... 

• Upvote 1

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

I agree, if you are growing Alexanders in Greece, you must be somewhere where you dont get continual temps near zero in winter. I killed 3 Alexanders during prolonged damp winters near zero. Climate change may change that as our winters the past 2 yrs have been milder. I haven't had to rush outside and wrap trees up in a panic. I have 14 cumminhamianas or hybrids  I think growing happily with little winter (or summer of 46oC burn). Dypsis leptocheilos should certainly survived. These are some of my archontophoenix which although not alexanders have not yet been identified. Any suggestions. They are 3 years old and growing at a phenomenal rate.

1689923184_105c2e9b8e8680e39f55bbba0b6a88dd1.thumb.jpg.832049515c60e8b08fc8d7c28b5273f5.jpg

• Like 2

Archontophoenix are pretty much bulletproof here, but we have long, cool winters so only a handful of Dypsis are proven winners. D decipiens, baronii and onilahensis are the most reliable. D ambositrae and albofarinosa have no real issues either other than being extremely slow. There are a few D decaryi around town getting quite large, but most don’t look the best coming out of winter. I’ve only ever seen one D lutescens do well, most look really ordinary but usually survive for a while. I have a D leptocheilos that was going ok at my old house but developed some root rot after transplanting and looks like it is now on it’s last legs in its new location. 

I’ve also had good luck with D arenarum and D cabadae x madagascariensis. Ive got a few more I’m experimenting with but only less than a year in the ground for D pembana x madagascariensis, prestoniana, pilulifera, madagascariensis, lanceolata and psammophila. 

Some that haven’t done so well: D carlsmithii, D pembana, D dark mealybug, D leucomalla and D robusta. They survive for a few winters but don’t get enough heat to grow. D Scottiana was a complete wimp and didn’t last a winter for me. 

Edited by tim_brissy_13

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

I know of one instance of Lanceolata growing in Italy (the peninsula not Sicily or Sardinia), which has also bloomed this year for the first time but soil is very sandy. Further I have managed to keep alive in my garden a Dypsis lutescens but it does not look really well. Two Dypsis plumosa (from seeds kindly gifted by DB) keep growing bigger in my cold frame. This is so far my positive experience with the genus.