IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Warning

JLM

Not happy with my dog this morning :badday:

I guess its closer to being open then it ever has though.

20201015_075725.jpg

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 4 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 4 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 2 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

One of my dogs ate the spear of a two 5 gallon queens at my old house. Those palms are now planted at my new house and absolutely thriving even better than the queens bought as 15 g. Best of luck!

• Like 2

Only problem @Tjohnson, my climate is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too cold for a Foxtail. This guy has to be potted up its whole life until it gets too big. This spear has been here since i got it back in early Summer. Its now pushing a second spear, hopefully that one doesnt get eaten!

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 4 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 4 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 2 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/16/2020 at 6:06 PM, JLM said:

Only problem @Tjohnson, my climate is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too cold for a Foxtail. This guy has to be potted up its whole life until it gets too big. This spear has been here since i got it back in early Summer. Its now pushing a second spear, hopefully that one doesnt get eaten!

Same dog chewed the rest of the foxtail up.He chewed the topof the second spear. Growth point seems to be okay, this thing is going to need some TLC before it will look normal again. All fronds got chewed off.

I Feel the pain! My neighboors bit my Giant Bird of Paradise to Pieces and started playing with my Bismarckia as well. I made a makeshift fence for now and by the grace of good the Giant bird is growing up again from just a few cm stumps. 

Anyone here know any good deturents that can be used?

• 2 months later...

Its on its way to a beautiful recovery!

20210205_100348.jpg

• Like 4

I'm only guessing here about deterrents.  But there are some meant for deterring possums based on mixtures of pepper, chilli and garlic. 

The mucking around may be worth it.

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

1 minute ago, Dunedin Steve said:

Try spending more time with him -- The dog -- not the palm.   

He's usually always with me, he follows me around the house, i take him outside in the backyard as well. He gets plenty of attention throughout the day ^_^
Can i say he is attached much? Yes! He's not been fixed yet, but ill be spending that whole time with him while he recovers too. The other three dogs dont chew on nothing but rogue sticks in the yard and the toys that we have for them. Although the culprit hasn't chewed on any palms since he chewed a frond off my Queen, he learned quickly. But he is my baby, and i love all of them!

• Like 1

Mine doesn't chew on plants, but he sure gets jealous when I spend time on them. I live in an apartment, and he knows he's only allowed to pee on trees that grow in the ground - if it's in a pot, he might sniff it but no "watering" lol 

20210202_184124.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Mine doesn't chew on plants, but he sure gets jealous when I spend time on them. I live in an apartment, and he knows he's only allowed to pee on trees that grow in the ground - if it's in a pot, he might sniff it but no "watering" lol 

20210202_184124.jpg

Dogs are amazing, i dont get why but they just are. At least until they chew your palms, then you have to have a word with them.
It is really hard to imagine sometimes that they are animals, they are a part of the family, and they have such great personalities.
Otherwise, awesome animals that love to be loved and love to give love!

Edited by JLM
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, JLM said:

Dogs are amazing, i dont get why but they just are. At least until they chew your palms, then you have to have a word with them.
It is really hard to imagine sometimes that they are animals, they are a part of the family, and they have such great personalities.
Otherwise, awesome animals that love to be loved and love to give love!

Mine sleeps in the bed with me, watches tv (but he's only interested in cartoons and sports), and basically he's my kid. He meets me at the door when I come home from work and gives me high-fives every day. I mentioned in another thread, the only time he's ever gotten into any of my palms was when I used an organic (made of poop) fertilizer. I dunno why dogs like poop so much but whatever lol. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Mine sleeps in the bed with me, watches tv (but he's only interested in cartoons and sports), and basically he's my kid. He meets me at the door when I come home from work and gives me high-fives every day. I mentioned in another thread, the only time he's ever gotten into any of my palms was when I used an organic (made of poop) fertilizer. I dunno why dogs like poop so much but whatever lol. 

All of our dogs sleep with us, except for the one that prefers to sleep on the floor. Thank goodness she prefers the floor because she's the biggest lol
One of the girls (2 boys and 2 girls) likes to eat some of the soil out of my pots every now and again, ive wondered why the soil has been getting lower then i caught here eating it a couple of months ago.

• Like 1

I've only got the one for now - I pulled him out of a shelter 7 years ago. But if this job lasts and I end up getting a house, he needs a little brother to keep him company. 

I used to kennel him when I first adopted him, but he was smart enough and learned how to jam the latch on his kennel. I'd think it was locked, and I'd come home to my bed being messed up and fur everywhere. He'd run back to the kennel and hang on to the door when he heard my truck pulling up(I've got a very loud exhaust on it). After that, I just let him do his own thing and no issues lol. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

I've only got the one for now - I pulled him out of a shelter 7 years ago. But if this job lasts and I end up getting a house, he needs a little brother to keep him company. 

I used to kennel him when I first adopted him, but he was smart enough and learned how to jam the latch on his kennel. I'd think it was locked, and I'd come home to my bed being messed up and fur everywhere. He'd run back to the kennel and hang on to the door when he heard my truck pulling up(I've got a very loud exhaust on it). After that, I just let him do his own thing and no issues lol. 

The first dog we got when we moved to Florida was rescued from the county shelter. Glad we picked him up when we did, because even though we had the papers signed and everything set up,
they were about to send him to a local college to get poked on for testing :badday:
We got him in May of 2017.
The second one we found at a big adoption event at the fairgrounds, she was a little baby and now she's a big 70lb baby lol
We got here in late Spring of 2018.
The third and fourth are twins! My Dad's co-worker's dog had puppies, and he let us have as many as we wanted. We took two of them out of the many that were there. We got them on the last day of 2019.

• Like 1

I picked this guy out of the mug shot line-up. They always put the bandanas on them and they look all happy with their tongues out - Sancho looked really stand-offish and apprehensive and I said "THAT'S MY DOG!" - I went up to the shelter to meet him, and all the other dogs ran to the fences all jumpy and excited. Sancho just sat in the corner eyeballing me for an honest 10 minutes before he very slowly walked up to me. 

Best decision I've ever made. Now he's happy, outgoing, social butterfly, loves everyone. Doesn't bark, doesn't growl, really weird for a Chihuahua but I'm ok with it. If I could just get him to stop chasing every woman he sees, we're golden - but then again, I did name him Sancho so it makes sense. 

• Like 1