IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Commercial Building Cycad n Palm Collection

Briank

I have a customer I’ve been going to for maybe the past 4-5 yrs.  The commercial lot is filled with Cycads and Great Palms.  

Maybe someone on here knows the owner as the person who owns these building Lots in El Cajon is a Cycad n Palm Nutt.  Have seen several spots in El Cajon I have customers in.  Finally took some pics to share.   Not a Cycad guy but these are stunning.  Please post what they are if you notice for me.  

Enjoy.   Oh, and the reason I took a pic of the One Bismarkia is because it’s actually a Double.  Never seen one before.  The second it much smaller but interesting to see what happens down the road lol. 

375F9DA4-C365-46EE-B5C1-1713E67AB31D.jpeg

4679F7EA-59A3-47A6-B9A1-16CACF764968.jpeg

C8DB4BE8-C330-4958-9825-838EC5290CA5.jpeg

F4AC74AE-6946-459F-ABD4-EB93D39D71BB.jpeg

009C9129-A5D0-4542-9F16-5268E2649396.jpeg

5E1B43AA-F438-4BA4-A35A-002A75A5BD45.jpeg

0FEE289E-1091-49CB-9049-652CCBAF82C0.jpeg

3CF5D336-A276-4FC5-9278-D398EE98F6BC.jpeg

3C28344C-EBA1-4848-83FC-4240BA378F7F.jpeg

8AD44490-B96D-44E1-B296-B88B865B7C73.jpeg

1F5FE656-6963-4F72-A992-D491E0F9050B.jpeg

AFDDE20E-DAF7-431F-96F2-E1596DFB7B7C.jpeg

E748FB20-25B5-4133-BA79-011CCF504E08.jpeg

BB4E13AF-C02C-437E-A364-5E7518D3EC85.jpeg

8B8A86B3-8DFC-4DB9-9104-A052EB15B2C0.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frond-friend42 said:

Bismarck, Butia, Livistona chinensis, Majesty palm and a bunch of cycads. How'd I do?

Pretty good.  There’s also several Jubaeas, Jubea X Butia Hybrid.   Small Beccariophoenixs.   Think Livi Decora is the tall one.   There’s more than I posted but wanted to see if people could tell me what all the cycads where.   Some macrozamia, Cycas.   I think the tall upright ones have to be Laurentianus or Whitelockii maybe.  I don’t know.   But they awesome 

• Like 1

One of my shops is around the corner from there. If i remember right thats Gregg Hamanns property. He also has an awesome garden that he opened up to us a while ago. He has some other palms there that are inside the property too. When I go to my El Cajon shop I always make a visit there. Phil from Jungle Music did a post on it years ago. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

20 hours ago, Briank said:

There’s more than I posted but wanted to see if people could tell me what all the cycads where.   Some macrozamia, Cycas.   I think the tall upright ones have to be Laurentianus or Whitelockii maybe.

I don't know the Macrozamia species very well so won't try to id species on those but on the large Encephalartos it would be helpful to see the detail (closups) of the leaflets to identify species.

9 hours ago, Stevetoad said:

If i remember right thats Gregg Hamanns property. He also has an awesome garden that he opened up to us a while ago.

Steve it sure looks like the same property.  Great link to Phil's old post on it too.  The Palm Society meeting held at Gregg's was a not to miss event.  Definitely a garden worth traveling to see if it ever gets back on the agenda for another meeting.

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

56 minutes ago, Tracy said:

I don't know the Macrozamia species very well so won't try to id species on those but on the large Encephalartos it would be helpful to see the detail (closups) of the leaflets to identify species.

Steve it sure looks like the same property.  Great link to Phil's old post on it too.  The Palm Society meeting held at Gregg's was a not to miss event.  Definitely a garden worth traveling to see if it ever gets back on the agenda for another meeting.

I was on Oahu when they had it. I’m still bummed I missed it. Doubt the opportunity will come up again. 

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

23 hours ago, Stevetoad said:

One of my shops is around the corner from there. If i remember right thats Gregg Hamanns property. He also has an awesome garden that he opened up to us a while ago. He has some other palms there that are inside the property too. When I go to my El Cajon shop I always make a visit there. Phil from Jungle Music did a post on it years ago. 

Yes it is.   He has several around the area.  I do not know him but I have several customers inside his Comm buildings. Cool to see him develop these properties.  Great stuff to see. 

Yep, Gregg Hamanns place. Inside the "Atrium" is even more spectacular. His office basically has the best view of the palms inside. If he is there, not busy atm, he may pop out to see you if you show an interest. Great guy!

• Like 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

On 10/16/2020 at 8:54 AM, BS Man about Palms said:

Yep, Gregg Hamanns place. Inside the "Atrium" is even more spectacular. His office basically has the best view of the palms inside. If he is there, not busy atm, he may pop out to see you if you show an interest. Great guy!

Greg's atrium is awesome I had the privilege of touring it about 10 yrs ago with some fellow palmtalkers. There was a c renda and many other jewels in there that will not grow outside here. There are offices on either side of the atrium with koi ponds. And lots of rare and unusual palms and exotics. Truly a great work environment 

• 1 year later...

Those are some awesome palms and cycads!  I'd guess the big Encephalartos are mostly of the Whitelockii-ish type, but the second does look a lot like Laurentianus.  At least the trunk does and the fronds are big enough and the leaflets are kinda twisty.  Really awesome!!!

These are pictures of my office.  The large Encephalartos are Encephalartos whitelockii from Uganda about twenty years from seed.  The large Livistona is L. decora (formerly decipiens), although the shorter palm in the background is L. chinensis.  The Macrozamias are M. montperriensis from Australia!  No one mentioned the Jubaea chilensis or the Dypsis decipiens in the last two photos!

I'm glad someone is enjoying them besides me!

Gregg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1