MattyB

This thing is loving the heat. 

02358FF1-85D6-4EBF-947C-4B2ABBCEC1F3.jpeg

51A1203F-B6A2-4F02-A174-632C032CBC6E.jpeg

D93721D6-BCF1-4530-9A7A-34CA94CC9115.jpeg

• Like 23
  • Upvote 5

Stevetoad

Nice! Are any of your other ones trunking now?

MattyB

Steve, my other five are no where near trunking.  Too many years out on the dry rocky south facing slope with only hose water.  I finally got drip irrigation on them last year and they've perked up, but the one that's farthest along has a few rings of super skinny trunk so it's gonna be stunted.  I just don't think there's enough soil out there to support them becoming large.

Tracy
On 10/13/2020 at 11:23 AM, MattyB said:

51A1203F-B6A2-4F02-A174-632C032CBC6E.jpeg

D93721D6-BCF1-4530-9A7A-34CA94CC9115.jpeg

Looks great with that Ficus dam. next to it.  Hopefully your others will exceed your expectations now that they are getting the more consistent drip versus intermittent hose sips.

thallo

Great looking plants!! 

How many drip emitters (and what gallon/hr) are you using and at what frequency? I’m getting ready to install drip for my palms in a large raised bed behind a retaining wall. I used bubblers in my back yard but think they are really inefficient  

thanks!

trey

sonoranfans

50 minutes ago, carmel said:

What is a DD?

dypsis decipiens(DD) perhaps the most cold hardy crownshafted palm.  They take a long time to grow large but are spectacular palms as you can see.  The bigger they get the more awesome they look, but definitely a long term plan with growing these to size.  Mattys double is going to get more stunning every year.

MattyB
22 hours ago, thallo said:

Great looking plants!! 

How many drip emitters (and what gallon/hr) are you using and at what frequency? I’m getting ready to install drip for my palms in a large raised bed behind a retaining wall. I used bubblers in my back yard but think they are really inefficient  

thanks!

trey

Hi Trey. This D. decipiens has (2) 1gph emitters ran twice a week for two hours each time. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

dalmatiansoap

It didn't sound much on first glance, but after doing some math.....:36_14_15[1]:

Chris Chance

Matty looking amazing! I need to get me another to try!

Matt in OC
12 hours ago, MattyB said:

Hi Trey. This D. decipiens has (2) 1gph emitters ran twice a week for two hours each time. 

Matty, what’s your soil like here?

MattyB
3 hours ago, Matt in OC said:

Matty, what’s your soil like here?

It's about 18" of rocky topsoil on top of solid rock.  Heavy heavy mulch layer employed in order to keep soil insulated and to retain as much moisture as possible.  This is the deepest soil I have on my entire property.

• Upvote 1

Jim in Los Altos

AWESOME D.d Matty! Every time a boot falls from my oldest, I think I’m going to see a trunk ring. No luck yet. This triple has pulled itself way down into the soil over the years and I can see lots of trunk below the soil line if I pull some away from its base. Did yours pull itself down into the soil much? 

356EA476-7AB7-4DDF-B0DA-7B18B69AC974.thumb.jpeg.406bbcd59916d9b6d196c694e61ed981.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

elHoagie

WOW!!! That looks awesome! I really wish I could get these to grow at my place - I've planted probably 8 or 10 of these over the years, from 1 gallon seedlings to large 15 gallon size, and none survived for more than 3 or 4 years. I'm done trying at this point, but it's great to see photos of yours!

• Like 1

MattyB
On 10/16/2020 at 3:22 PM, Jim in Los Altos said:

AWESOME D.d Matty! Every time a boot falls from my oldest, I think I’m going to see a trunk ring. No luck yet. This triple has pulled itself way down into the soil over the years and I can see lots of trunk below the soil line if I pull some away from its base. Did yours pull itself down into the soil much? 

356EA476-7AB7-4DDF-B0DA-7B18B69AC974.thumb.jpeg.406bbcd59916d9b6d196c694e61ed981.jpeg

It did pull down but I’m not sure how much. I bet there’s a foot of trunk under there

• Upvote 1

DoomsDave

@MattyB wow great pics

Josue Diaz

freaking awesome!