IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Can you tie up all fronds on a palm and still make it grow?

Palmfarmer

I have done this regularly when cramming my barrel-grown Washingtonias and Livistonas into my greenhouse for overwintwering. I don´t try to keep all the fronds. I cut the ones which reached a horizontal position to save some space. The palms keep growing through the winter and the stems on newer fronds get a bit elongated but on the whole the palms survive this treatment fine. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bismarckiafan said:

I have done this regularly when cramming my barrel-grown Washingtonias and Livistonas into my greenhouse for overwintwering. I don´t try to keep all the fronds. I cut the ones which reached a horizontal position to save some space. The palms keep growing through the winter and the stems on newer fronds get a bit elongated but on the whole the palms survive this treatment fine. 

ok i was just thinking since i have seen this phoenix being tied up for a year right besides a wall in town, wonder if they try to make it grow tied all up untill it grows above the wall. Or maybe there is some error they done. 

this will reduce the plants water needs while growing new roots but of course the growth rate will drop off.  Sometimes when transplanting the main concern is water loss and exposed leaf area means water loss in dry climates as the plant will transpire to cool itself from the heat that is created by light absorption and photosynthesis in the pallisade mesophyll layer.  Getting rid of the heat necessitates the loss of water.  IF you tie up the leaves, photosynthesis drops a lot and so does water loss.

• Upvote 3

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank