IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

how much do you estimate you used on Palms?

Palmfarmer

As in money.  $XX,XXX - definitely 5 figures. Most of it went to hardscape materials, mulch and other landscaping supplies.  The palms were actually the cheap part.

• Upvote 3

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Regarding what? Water usage? Fertilizer?  Or do you mean spent on palms ?

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

3 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

As in money.  $XX,XXX - definitely 5 figures. Most of it went to hardscape materials, mulch and other landscaping supplies.  The palms were actually the cheap part.

As the saying goes:  For every $5 palm, invest in a $10 hole.

• Like 3

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Not sure what you mean by how much used. How much what used? 

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Assuming you mean “spent” instead of “used”.

Don’t think about it to be honest. Also not sure of the purpose of wanting to know that information. 

19 minutes ago, Palms Brisbane said:

Assuming you mean “spent” instead of “used”.

Don’t think about it to be honest. Also not sure of the purpose of wanting to know that information. 

Spent sorry, not native english speaker.

• Like 1

I've spent a few hundred on cement blocks to terrace a hill side to plant maybe 50 bucks worth of palms.  LOL  Then there are the irrigation timer, irrigation hose, shade cloth, and of course Blood Sweat and Tears.   LOL

• Like 1

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

Most of the $ would be overseas collecting trips.

Absolutely great value for money. What memories and adventure

Steve

• Like 3

"Invested" in palms is a good word to use. Time, money, work, sweat. Unmet expectations mixed with dazzling, long-awaited rewards. The cultivation of care and patience. Seems like a healthy hobby.

• Like 2

Palms were cheap here in florida.  My borassus Aethiopum was $20, beccariophoenix alfrediis and archie myolensis(my most expensive archies) were $30, copernicia baileyana was $40 for 5 gallon size that is now 15' tall, bismarckia that is now near 30' tall was $25.  All told ~65 to 70 mostly mature palms in my yard cost less than 5k with one palm costing more than one third of that.  I paid $90 each for two roystonea regia that had 4' trunk, $3 each for archie alexanders.  SO for the palms less thab 5k.  My previous yard in arizona had lots of hardscaping including a pool and it was more like 90k in hardscape alone.  I have installed $3500 worth of landscape pavers on all borders some with raised beds.  Fertililizer runs about $300-350 a year for the palms.  Watering 2x a week is free from the HOA well.  I do sometimes water manually in addition but the cost is low.  I have also spent $2500 replacing grass(#&#$!), Im done with grass as its the most expensive to maintain with all the treatments for several varieties of bugs that feast on bermudagrass each year.  The last cost is trimming and I do all my own in palms but the live oaks on my back border have aready cost $900 to trim ~4 years ago and they need it again.  I also had to pay about $700 to remove some badly placed palms one caryota mitis up against the house had to go and I removed a weevil killed bismarckia, and one large livistona decora.  My recommendation is when you plant too densely, figure it out before they get too big, as a palm with 10' trunk is much more expensive to remove than a non trunking palm( I can do that myself).  Many here have made planting mistakes, that is how we learn.  

• Like 2

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

I personally feel that asking folks how much $$$ they spend is a wee bit too intrusive (if that is the basis of your post) for a public forum.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

If you want to save money get seeds or bareroot seedlings.  I have 6 teddy bears and 8 dyctosperma album that cost a total of $50.  They were small bare root seedlings in january-march 2020 when I bought them and now they are 3-5 gallon size.  I also have (3) 5-10 gallon copernicia hospita that I paid $20 each for as strap leafers a couple years ago.  Bigger palms cost more, smaller ones are very reasonable still.  My neighbor across the street paid some guy to edge his shrubs in concrete with rebar and it cost him 2k, another guy had his driveway coated in epoxy for 2500.  I have bought 50 palms (5 gallon size or smaller) for that.   Ten years later the concrete edging has aged, the epoxy coated driveway has faded, but I have palm forest that is more beautiful than ever.  Plus my gardening has a big health benefit, keeps me active and outside more than I would otherwise be very likely reducing my healthcare costs.  

• Upvote 4

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Not many of us develop a passion for palms at an early age or any age with the ability to purchase land/house with the time to engage in this addiction.

Some simply have the money to buy there garden fully mature and build on it, or have a blank canvas and purchase mature palms. I have seen some fantastic gardens created this way, very impressive when done well.

Very few of us have the time and long term dedication to establish their garden from seed or seedlings. Most move house two or three times in there life, so would be pointless. 

But as more of us realize the benefits, there are so many ways how a garden of your making not only improves your lifestyle, but others around you, regardless of your age. Can't put a price on it!

I have added one snapshot in the 35 years of snapshots.

Regards

IMAG0100.jpg

• Like 4

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

I think if you literally had to add up the monetary cost of it, then you dont really love it. I dont want to know.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I’m 6 years in and I’d estimate $350-400 over that period, not including potting soil, fertilizer, pots, etc., most of that other stuff gets used for my other plants as well so I can’t include that.

The majority of the money I spent was on a handful of “must haves”, my single most expensive palm was $75 including shipping costs. I generally get my hardy stuff (zone 7-8) very young, usually in the seedling stage, and my tropicals are mostly beat up clearance deals that recover nicely.

I live in an apartment so I’m restricted to what can fit on the small outdoor patio (south facing, thank God), also somewhat restricted by climate (zone 7), but some of my “seedlings” are now full on landscape ready palms that have braved extreme heat, cold, tropical storms, and snow. Hoping to *finally* plant them in the ground next year.

• Upvote 2

You first. ^_^ 

But seriously, what one spends is not what makes one happy with the garden. Some people must limit themselves to palms in pots, for many different reasons. Some live where palms are very rare and expensive, even restricted in some ways; others live where they can be cheaper than a hamburger. Some have good climate for palms, some don't. Some must pay for expensive water, while some get more rain than needed for the palms to thrive. There isn't much point to discussing $ spent on palms and equipment unless you are considering starting a big commercial nursery.

• Upvote 4

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.