TexasColdHardyPalms

Big monsters

TexasColdHardyPalms

Stopped by to take a look at a few jxbf1. A few of these are getting pretty big @ close to 5'+ diameter.  Just as big as the fattest jubaea I've seen. 

20201010_124445.jpg

• Like 14
  • Upvote 5

kinzyjr

Thanks for sharing, @TexasColdHardyPalms!  Wonderful palm!  A lot of Jubaea in there!

Swolte

Woah, what a monster! How old is this specimen?

Chester B

Wow. Super impressive!

Collectorpalms

It does look like what I picture a jxbf1 should look like. A pregnant pindo right now. Was this a manual cross pollination? Jubaea is very dominant in trunk. Can’t see the overall crown or leaf detail. Anymore info On these Or pictures? ? Location.? I see a lot of sandy loam. Most palms love that if they have drip irrigation water. Are any coming to Texas?

Edited by Collectorpalms

OC2Texaspalmlvr

I absolutely love this palm !!! :yay: We must see more of it =) 

• Upvote 1

TexasColdHardyPalms

Some seed pics. Also managed to score a several hundred butia Paraguayensis seed.  

20201015_113911.jpg

• Like 5

jwitt
On 10/10/2020 at 8:27 PM, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Stopped by to take a look at a few jxbf1. A few of these are getting pretty big @ close to 5'+ diameter.  Just as big as the fattest jubaea I've seen. 

20201010_124445.jpg

The palm also looks to be getting big! Wow!

Fusca
8 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Some seed pics. Also managed to score a several hundred butia Paraguayensis seed.  

20201015_113911.jpg

This is interesting because these BxJ F2 seeds resemble the "grandmother" Butia seeds more closely and the JxB F2 seeds resemble the "grandmother" Jubaea seeds.  I have a BxJ F2 juvenile that looks exactly like pure Butia and displays Butia growth speed.  Makes sense.  And it was nice of Spiderman to pose in the first photo for you!  :laugh2:

TexasColdHardyPalms

I have an f1 j x b that looks like a pure butia. I'd call anyone a liar that told me it was a jxb but I sprouted it from a jubaea seed myself so I have to believe it. 

Over the past few years while walking through lotus land and a few other grow areas with 40+ mature palms ive learned that f1 hybrids can vary almost as much as a pure butia. Basically anything with butia genes can span the entire spectrum of physical attributes.  Cocosoid hybridization is a crapshoot. 

• Upvote 1

TexasColdHardyPalms

I also gathered several thousand jubaea seed so texas will get another few thousand jubaea planted over the next few years, plus 20-30 more f1 hybrids based on historical natural hybrids.

• Like 2