IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Big monsters

TexasColdHardyPalms

Stopped by to take a look at a few jxbf1. A few of these are getting pretty big @ close to 5'+ diameter.  Just as big as the fattest jubaea I've seen. 

20201010_124445.jpg

• Like 14
  • Upvote 5

Thanks for sharing, @TexasColdHardyPalms!  Wonderful palm!  A lot of Jubaea in there!

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

It does look like what I picture a jxbf1 should look like. A pregnant pindo right now. Was this a manual cross pollination? Jubaea is very dominant in trunk. Can’t see the overall crown or leaf detail. Anymore info On these Or pictures? ? Location.? I see a lot of sandy loam. Most palms love that if they have drip irrigation water. Are any coming to Texas?

Edited by Collectorpalms

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

Some seed pics. Also managed to score a several hundred butia Paraguayensis seed.  

20201015_113911.jpg

• Like 5

On 10/10/2020 at 8:27 PM, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Stopped by to take a look at a few jxbf1. A few of these are getting pretty big @ close to 5'+ diameter.  Just as big as the fattest jubaea I've seen. 

20201010_124445.jpg

The palm also looks to be getting big! Wow!

8 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Some seed pics. Also managed to score a several hundred butia Paraguayensis seed.  

20201015_113911.jpg

This is interesting because these BxJ F2 seeds resemble the "grandmother" Butia seeds more closely and the JxB F2 seeds resemble the "grandmother" Jubaea seeds.  I have a BxJ F2 juvenile that looks exactly like pure Butia and displays Butia growth speed.  Makes sense.  And it was nice of Spiderman to pose in the first photo for you!  :laugh2:

Jon Sunder

I have an f1 j x b that looks like a pure butia. I'd call anyone a liar that told me it was a jxb but I sprouted it from a jubaea seed myself so I have to believe it. 

Over the past few years while walking through lotus land and a few other grow areas with 40+ mature palms ive learned that f1 hybrids can vary almost as much as a pure butia. Basically anything with butia genes can span the entire spectrum of physical attributes.  Cocosoid hybridization is a crapshoot. 

• Upvote 1

I also gathered several thousand jubaea seed so texas will get another few thousand jubaea planted over the next few years, plus 20-30 more f1 hybrids based on historical natural hybrids.

• Like 2