IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Foxtail fronds rapidly browning after coming inside normal?

PalmX

Had this foxtail outside for the summer and brought him in a few weeks ago when it got cooler. The fronds are browning in sequential order from oldest to newest. The 3rd oldest frond is now starting to show the same symptoms.. so I figure it's time to figure out what's going on.

He gets a south facing window with a supplemental LED panel. Very well draining soil. Fertilized with PalmGain during the outside months.

Perhaps this is from under watering after bringing him indoors? Or just a normal hissy fit from being brought inside?

@Rickybobby do you experience this with your foxtail?

Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 5.42.33 PM.png

Edited by PalmX

Seems excessive to just be from a humidity change.. I'm thinking it was a lack of water? I pulled it in and probably left it for 2 weeks before the first water.

Edited by PalmX

My Foxtail did the same thing the first winter I owned it. I cut off all the dead fronds and sprayed the rest with copper fungicide. I read that they get a spotty mold that causes this decline. After I sprayed it down the "dying back" of the fronds seemed to stop almost immediately. I sprayed the heck out of it with the fungicide every 2 weeks. I did that over winter and haven't had anymore problems. Another forum member had the same problem with their Foxtail last winter. I advised him to do the same treatment. Not sure if he did it or something else, but I know he was showing pictures of the same and now healthy palm this summer. Good luck! 

On 10/12/2020 at 11:13 AM, HtownPalms said:

My Foxtail did the same thing the first winter I owned it. I cut off all the dead fronds and sprayed the rest with copper fungicide. I read that they get a spotty mold that causes this decline. After I sprayed it down the "dying back" of the fronds seemed to stop almost immediately. I sprayed the heck out of it with the fungicide every 2 weeks. I did that over winter and haven't had anymore problems. Another forum member had the same problem with their Foxtail last winter. I advised him to do the same treatment. Not sure if he did it or something else, but I know he was showing pictures of the same and now healthy palm this summer. Good luck! 

Thanks Htown. My problem seems to have paused after I gave it a good first watering since being indoors.

I'm skeptical of cutting off the fronds before they're ready to peel just because I've only got a handful of them and they're such slow growers.

Still waiting to hear from @Rickybobby . I think he might be the other person you're thinking of. I dug through some old posts and he had a similar issue.

Hi sorry haven’t checked the site in a week or so. Interesting. In my experience I take my foxtail from outdoors to indoors with zero issues. It is normal for a bit of shock and to loose a frond. What kind is soil are you using? Water schedule? Foxtails are so hardy I’ve never lost one including seedlings. Also mine is in a 12 foot room with floor to ceiling windows that faces north. But no supplemental light or heat 

Also humidity indoors doesn’t bother them. Unless you have a fan blowing on it constantly a dryer indoor environment shouldn’t bother. I still haven’t got any brown tipping on any of my foxtails