IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal uresana potential in cool climates?

LivistonaFan

Being situated at almost 43°S on an Island, Hobart is the coldest Australian state capital in summer (cooler than Canberra, Sydney and Melbourne). Therefore I wouldn't have been surprised by a healthy looking Butia, Jubaea or Parajubaea, but I surely am by looking at this top-notch Sabal uresana which is growing there (according to the caption beneath the picture). It seems to be quite fast-growing if one considers the size of the crown and that's astonishing, because I thought they would need long, hot "Florida-style" summers to really thrive. If this is not the case, then it could be an excellent palm for those Mediterranean climates who cannot grow Bismarckia nobilis and even people in the Southern UK should consider planting one.

Can anyone confirm that this Sabal is located in Hobart (the background seems authentic to me) and maybe give a few more details about it's age, speed of growth etc.?

photo from palmpedia (http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/File:Post-338-0-74361800-1436373915nomolos.jpg):

Post-338-0-74361800-1436373915nomolos.jpg

• Like 4

Cannot confirm or deny if that photo is from Hobart, but in Melbourne they are very slow. I planted one about 6 years ago and it is still only about knee height. I’d be a bit surprised if they did well in Hobart to be honest. 

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

5 hours ago, LivistonaFan said:

Being situated at almost 43°S on an Island, Hobart is the coldest Australian state capital in summer (cooler than Canberra, Sydney and Melbourne). Therefore I wouldn't have been surprised by a healthy looking Butia, Jubaea or Parajubaea, but I surely am by looking at this top-notch Sabal uresana which is growing there (according to the caption beneath the picture). It seems to be quite fast-growing if one considers the size of the crown and that's astonishing, because I thought they would need long, hot "Florida-style" summers to really thrive. If this is not the case, then it could be an excellent palm for those Mediterranean climates who cannot grow Bismarckia nobilis and even people in the Southern UK should consider planting one.

Can anyone confirm that this Sabal is located in Hobart (the background seems authentic to me) and maybe give a few more details about it's age, speed of growth etc.?

photo from palmpedia (http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/File:Post-338-0-74361800-1436373915nomolos.jpg):

Post-338-0-74361800-1436373915nomolos.jpg

Looking at the address on the image it reads “nomolos” which is a Tasmanian Palmtalk member who I haven’t seen around for a while. It could well be a very old specimen from Tassie. 

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

It's stunning, mine has remained strap leaf for about 2 years, my brahea super silver grows quicker and it's like a snail. If mine gets to look like that I'll be well chuffed. 

I am 99% sure that specimen is from JSFGardens (Peckerwood) in Hempstead Texas. I recognize the large Pindo's behind it. Here's a pic I took a while ago from an almost opposite angle. Great palm (I am growing two).

Sabal Sonora.jpg

Edited by Swolte
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

I have one growing here in Portland. First year in the ground so kind of tough to say how quick it grows. I can say Sabal causiarum of similar size planted this year grow at least 2x the rate. 

11 hours ago, Swolte said:

I am 99% sure that specimen is from JSFGardens (Peckerwood) in Hempstead Texas. I recognize the large Pindo's behind it. Here's a pic I took a while ago from an almost opposite angle. Great palm (I am growing two).

Sabal Sonora.jpg

I think you are right:greenthumb:, the photo seems to be taken in Texas which explains why it is thriving. Somebody should change the false caption on palmpedia as I almost bought a Sabal uresana because of it and some other people might be tricked as well.

The temperature difference between Peckerwood and Hobart must be like day and night in summer.

Yeah the garden is now called John Fairey Gardens, the picture appears to be from there. Here are a few I’ve posted of their various Uresana.file.php?id=68408file.php?id=68407file.php?id=63794file.php?id=63793file.php?id=63792

They do well in Texas but are slow growing even here, atleast compared to say Bismarckia.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Sabal Uresana is slower than many other sabals even in florida.  Mine seemed to grow very slowly at first.  After about 5 years it started to put out more leaves. picking up som speed.  From a strap leaf seedling in 2011 it now has about 5' of trunk.  I have had similar growth from livistona chinensis in my yard.  Sabal causiarum came from the same source as a strap leaf 4 inch pot and now has 9' of trunk.  So for me the uresana has about half the trunk growth and a crown about 3/4 the width of sabal causiarum.  One thing I really like about sabal uresana is the light colored reflective leaves and how they tend to keep a landscape feeling very open and larger than it is.  Lots of dark green leaves make for a dark area that tends to feel a lot smaller.  

• Like 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank