IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Raspberry Pi Wheater station experience?

Palmfarmer

Hey does anyone have any experience using this as a simple wheaterstation and for recording tempratures? How was the accuracy? 

1 hour ago, Palmfarmer said:

Hey does anyone have any experience using this as a simple wheaterstation and for recording tempratures? How was the accuracy? 

I use Raspberry pis to monitor water quality.  The new pi has 8GB RAM which makes it quite usable with a database to guard your readings.

The OS normally used with the Raspberry is Raspberry OS which is a Debian derivative of GNU using the Linux kernel.

I use a USB to RS485 serial adapter over which I run the Modbus protocol and connect up to 247 ModbusRTU sensors to monitor whatever... At the moment I am monitoring Turbidity, pH, Suspended Solids, Contact conductivity, temp and Dissolved oxygen.

There are a plethora of sensors available on the market ranging from hobby quality to professional quality. The sensors I use range in price from 3000 to 4000 dollars each and are being used in the monitoring of water treatment plants.

You can go to http://asasens.asaambiental.mx to see the reporting modules that I have written to display the readings collected. The user is huesped and the password is Password!. with capital P.

This account has privileges for display purposes only and does not permit the user to see privileged commands or sensitive data like Log access.

Richard

Edited by GDLWyverex
  • Like 1

Yes, my weather station is built around a DS18B20 1 wire temperature sensor connected to a raspberry pi. A long cable, just of cheap speaker wire  runs a good 30m from inside the house to the sensor out in the yard.  I hand made a Stevenson screen for the sensor using plastic pot plant saucers. It has been logging temperature every 15min, for nearly 4 years now.  Screen and sensor is mounted on a pole above grass in the most exposed part of the yard.