IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Parajubaea double/triple/quadruple planting?

LivistonaFan

Has anyone pictures of Parajubaea planted as multiples? I'd like to plant these 4 Parajubaea tvm as a group. Since their eventual stem diameter is considerably smaller than that of tvt, I assume it should be feasible? Will their stems curve outwards due to competition if I plant them as close as possible or will they just grow straight? I also have 4 even slightly smaller P. sunkha, but I am not willing to experiment with them. What do you think?

DSC_5223.thumb.JPG.7993eaea5f2b7249e586fa8bfba49203.JPG

• Like 2

Personally, I don't think this would look good.  To my eye, fat palms don't look great in multiples, generally speaking.

• Upvote 2

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

32 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Personally, I don't think this would look good.  To my eye, fat palms don't look great in multiples, generally speaking.

Thank you for your honest opinion. I read somewhere that their bare trunk is only 15-18 inches in diameter and that didn't sound too much. I thought I was onto something as my climate is too cold long-term for such nice Archontophoenix doubles or triples. I could also plant them in a row with about 5ft space between each of them. Like that, I could use them as a screen against a street above the property. Would that look better?

2 minutes ago, LivistonaFan said:

Thank you for your honest opinion. I read somewhere that their bare trunk is only 15-18 inches in diameter and that didn't sound too much. I thought I was onto something as my climate is too cold long-term for such nice Archontophoenix doubles or triples. I could also plant them in a row with about 5ft space between each of them. Like that, I could use them as a screen against a street above the property. Would that look better?

Maybe a pic of the area would help?  And actual location?  These are still very large palms and you wouldn't be able to see individual crowns at that spacing.  

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

16 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Maybe a pic of the area would help?  And actual location?  These are still very large palms and you wouldn't be able to see individual crowns at that spacing.  

If the crown will look like that from Gary Levine's Microcarpa than there is no need to see an individual crown, but it would still be a nice screening:

The location is east of Nice, France at 43-44°N at some elevation but nicely protected by the Alps.  Rather short, warm-hot summers (like San Jose in July and August, nights are a bit warmer though due to higher air humidity). Cool and rainy in autumn and winters could be like those of Crescent City, Ca (if I am looking at climate stats of Californian cities). plantmaps.com lists the location as 10a, but that is BS although the last 2 winters indeed were cold versions of 10a and 10b. I don't have any photos of the actual location where I want to plant these, but here you can look at some of my palms:

• Like 1