IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

heat vs sun

xerophyte_nyc

So many factors involved in sustained palm growth...

so in an effort to stimulate a discussion, which do you think is generally better for sustained palm tree growth, all other things being equal:

70F soil temp and consistently sunny

-or-

80F soil temp but only partly sunny

Long Island, NY

Zone 7A

silk palm trees grow well all year in my zone

:P

(xerophyte_nyc @ Jul. 19 2007,16:24)

So many factors involved in sustained palm growth...

so in an effort to stimulate a discussion, which do you think is generally better for sustained palm tree growth, all other things being equal:

70F soil temp and consistently sunny

-or-

80F soil temp but only partly sunny

It probably depends on the species.  I can tell you that Bismarckias and some sabals will prefer the heat, as 70F soil temps are marginal even with arizona sun.  These palms tend not to grow much at all at 70 degree soil temps, but upwards from there they just wake up.  I cant tell you much about low sun conditions in AZ except in my shaded greenhouse.  There the archontophoenix do much better with the humidity, much less sun, good heat.

Things that I expect effect palm growth

1) humidity, good and bad for palm growth( eg, bad for braheas)

2) sun

3) heat

4) soil drainage

5) availability of nutrients, macro and micro.  Note that some micro nutirients are not available in certain soil types(mg, Fe in high pH soils, for example).

Overall this is a very complex question:  what contributes to good palm growth?  I consider myself fortunate to recognize some of these factors for the few palms that I do grow.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Mark,

most palms don't need continuous sunshine to grow well, or fast. Some palms will thrive in heat. That doesn't necessarily mean it must be sunshine 100% of the time.

From my own experience, I can say with certainty that the overwhelming number of palms will grow faster when exposed to high rainfall. I know that for a fact because I have planted numerous palms of the same species in different areas. Some areas are more shaded than others, which also means that the palms in those shaded areas get less rain (because of the canopy). Without exception, the palms that are more exposed and get more rain, are the ones that will grow the fastest. I should add that I also have a number of palms that gets plenty of shade from surrounding vegetation, but without the overhead canopy. In other words, the rain falls freely on those palms, and they are also fast growers.

Our weather here is probably 75% overcast and 25% sunshine. For most palms, and certainly all the rainforest palms, this is an optimal environment.

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Dear Mark  :)

i live in hot tropics(S.India)its humid,hot & wet also has lots of coastal influence when it comes to high humidity in daily evenings.our aircons flush out emermous amount of water from the rear evaporator coils..

but to my knowledge all palms don't grow well in all sun & all

heat condition.i find Med Fan dry up preety fast due to heat.

And also Raphilis.our temperatures here Avg from around 87 to 108 degrees farentheat.all the european palms have difficulty in open terrace kind of location.

but according to my observation the following varities are doing great in our climate they are _

1.Bismarkia (Silver form)

2.CIDP.

3.Breha Armeta.

4.Jubea's

5.Butia's

6.Rupicola

7.Bottle's

8.Foxtails

9.Oil palm

10.Date Palm(all varities).

11.Yellow Latania

12.Red Latania

13.Royals

14.fishtails

15.Livistonia

16.areca palms

17.beetle nut palm

18.coconuts.

19.Cycas(most of the varities)i know its not a palm.

20.travellors palm

21.washy's(all the 3 varities).

22.Talipot palms_since the report says its native to S,India & Srilanka.

23.Sabal's_SRS,Mexicana,Palmetto(For the moment)

24.Nolina(its not a palm)but grows like mad.

25.Bamboo's they love it here...

i will add the palms & plants species list,as i rememeber them in my place.

all the above varities said grow great in both with heat & sunlight to-gather...

Love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

I wonder if the soil temperatures in the deserts of Cali and AZ are too hot for some palms. The current soil temp in Phoenix (measured at what station, I don't know) is 99 degress. That is pretty darn hot.

The soil temp in my backyard right now is 72. While my bismarckia is a slow grower, my more tropical dypsis, veitchias and hyophorbes grow fairly fast. Would they grow faster at a soil temp of 75-80? Probably.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

(epicure3 @ Jul. 20 2007,12:26)

I wonder if the soil temperatures in the deserts of Cali and AZ are too hot for some palms. The current soil temp in Phoenix (measured at what station, I don't know) is 99 degress. That is pretty darn hot.

The soil temp in my backyard right now is 72. While my bismarckia is a slow grower, my more tropical dypsis, veitchias and hyophorbes grow fairly fast. Would they grow faster at a soil temp of 75-80? Probably.

I'm not sure where that came from(99 degrees), but I expect it was a dry desert soil with nothing growing in it.  Even a little water changes temps very quickly.  I dont measure my soil temps, but I do cool things off at the end of the day with some water this time of year.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

I agree with Bo.  Part sun is fine for even the most sun loving species.  If the warmth is there, they'll go.  Now complete, dark shade will probably hurt some sun lovers no matter what the temp.  But some sun is perfect.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)