Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
The Gerg

What’s in your Bullpen?

Recommended Posts

The Gerg

So what’s in your bullpen waiting to go in? I know most of us have plenty of potted palms around the yard or in your green house if you’re lucky enough to have one. But what is the palm(s) that you are eagerly looking for that right spot to put in the ground.

Below are a few that I’m looking for the right spot and/or waiting to redesign my front yard.

 

Kentiopsis pyriformis.

62B266E6-38EC-4B9F-BEF4-E50C39C50CD2.thumb.jpeg.945827012d717211b06a65ebef5717f3.jpeg

 

 

Dypsis prestoniana.

83121D2E-E5BA-4DFB-A8E4-38103AE4BAA6.thumb.jpeg.4e28119dfca33fe3a64c5495753fc41c.jpeg

 

Cyphophoenix elegans.

6289756C-B84F-4924-9F53-475DF0AEBD8D.thumb.jpeg.f4f6611c464d1d39f68b5956ec5a8872.jpeg

 

Dypsis saintelucii.

B431D5E2-250E-4DE6-8CA7-054E301521EA.thumb.jpeg.f01a411aa986dd105b00800641fa3e30.jpeg

 

Dypsis basilonga.

1BBE373C-D78F-4055-B1A9-E0D1860B98C5.thumb.jpeg.33dbba30bc9f7c6d8de237e0c87d4e52.jpeg

 

 

  • Like 12
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WaianaeCrider

I have 15 1 gallon pots from FB sitting in the shade house trying to get use to Wai`anae after their earlier life on the rainy B. Island.   They came in at the beginning of last month and I have been waiting for October to come so I could begin to plant.  We had 2.9" of rain yesterday.  That's more than the past 3 months total.  I'll post pictures as I get them in the ground.  Gotta wait a few days as the ground is gonna be WAY to muddy to dig.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GottmitAlex

Got a foxtail. Dont pay attention to the A.merillii  on its right.  That guy is my true thermometer. No supplemental heat and exposed for the past three years.  Poor thing. It's surviving.

16017914934331452929868938965723.jpg

  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PJP

Seems like we all have the same decorator who recommends black nursery pots on their patios.  I like the look.  For me its 

 

Dypsis Pilulifera

Dypsis Mananjarensis

Lemurophoenix Halleuxii

98E815C7-3099-4C4A-96E9-95C00B4CB3D4.jpeg

B0DE197B-7C81-42CC-8BD9-A2ED26281DFC.jpeg

9BDB62B4-7C18-4C7A-8CFB-A33EFBD7C393.jpeg

  • Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kaname-kun

Trying to find a place for Loxicoccus rupicola. Pretty much decided on where the Pinanga caesia, Pinanga maculata, Euterpe edulis "orange crownshaft," and Euterpe pracatoria "variegated" will go. I'm going to wait for the Dypsis maorojejyi to get more size before planting. 

Loxicoccus rupicola

Loxococcus.thumb.jpg.4084c09fa306f58d3e55926ae0ecbb32.jpg

Pinanga maculata and Pinanga caesia

Maculata.jpg

Euterpe edulis "orange chrownshaft"

Orange Crownshaft.jpg

Euterpe precatoria "vairegated"

Pracatoria.jpg

Dypsis marojejyi (with Marojejyi darianii)

Dypsis marojejyi.jpg

 

Edited by Kaname-kun
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Gerg

@PJP.....Haha! Yes, black pots all over the patio. That’s the look right?!

Wish I had a Lemurophoenix in my bullpen. :o 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Husain

I have 2 royal palms:

 

813CF21E-CA93-4A52-99D7-E9773842EFC6.jpeg

5C08BB66-2AEE-4244-8FEB-56EED42AB6A5.jpeg

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
John hovancsek

Cyphosperma tanga, pinanga declinata and licuala sallehana in first pic 2nd are geonoma undata and acaulis 3rd is areca laosnsis

16018312447817764236374579399769.jpg

16018314321391276715064506784356.jpg

16018316002727928632043135479607.jpg

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
realarch

Greg, your standbys look perfect as does the rest of ones in this post do. Pretty saaweet stuff.

Tim

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eastendr

I'm a palm n00b a starting with a blank slate - front, back and sides are practically empty. I recently completed Fence Building Odyssey 2019-2020, and now I'm ready to start planting PALMS! :)

Over the last year I've collected around sixty palms.

Here's about half of the pots waiting to go in (C radicalis, D lafazamanga, D lutescens, D Pembana, P rupicola, H forsteriana, R oceana, D albofarinosa, D prestoniana, K oliviforma, and a bunch of others I don't recall):

IMG_6197.thumb.jpg.a8d84e61a13db73df16e04a3e829ff26.jpg

 

I also had the pleasure of visiting @DoomsDave a couple of weeks ago (who was very generous with his time and gave me a great tour - thank you Dave!), and this morning I finally got around to planting a D Lafamazanga and a D lutescens from Dave's compound in ground :)

IMG_6202.thumb.jpg.54a0f0f96011b96427eead26cbba4886.jpg

  • Like 10
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Gerg

@Eastendr......Ahhh, a blank slate is always exciting. You’ve got some good stuff there. Design/plant wisely. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gonzer

TREVOR-HOFFMAN-KPBS-SD-DIRK-FLICKR.png

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Gerg
4 hours ago, Eastendr said:

@The Gerg I welcome all advice!

I had no discipline or patience. I just planted planted planted. So I’ve got situations like a beccariophoenix alfredii and a rhopalostylis sapida less than four feet apart. When they were planted at a much smaller size I was just willing to deal with it down the road. So far unfortunately they seem to be growing about the same speed. So I think it is important to consider speed of growth and mature size spread and height. I think ultimately if you have the patience you plant some larger trees to create some canopy and then go fill in between with some smaller trees that need some protection when young. 

Maybe its an optical illusion but in your picture it looks like your triangle palm is planted right up against the fence in the corner. Did you leave enough room for it to fatten up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jeff985

In the bullpen I have

Pic 1 - 2 R. Regias 

Pic 2 - Mystery palm. Possibly A. Maxima 

Pic 3 - B. Alfredii 

Pic 4 - K. Oliviformis 

E5D98F4C-9DE6-4C2A-A44C-4BD5F13D907F.jpeg

134C5DB8-3CF0-4D55-8B61-A696D19E0929.jpeg

10F2FB16-B386-4BEA-99D6-3A22847F8EBA.jpeg

4681376C-D87C-4CF5-97DB-6AFF83979AC0.jpeg

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eastendr
15 hours ago, The Gerg said:

I had no discipline or patience. I just planted planted planted. So I’ve got situations like a beccariophoenix alfredii and a rhopalostylis sapida less than four feet apart. When they were planted at a much smaller size I was just willing to deal with it down the road. So far unfortunately they seem to be growing about the same speed. So I think it is important to consider speed of growth and mature size spread and height. I think ultimately if you have the patience you plant some larger trees to create some canopy and then go fill in between with some smaller trees that need some protection when young. 

Maybe its an optical illusion but in your picture it looks like your triangle palm is planted right up against the fence in the corner. Did you leave enough room for it to fatten up?

Great points, all around. The self-restraint factor is hard, but the ones I've planted in ground so far I've attempted to give them enough space to enjoy the palm as it matures without getting crowded out. Looks like I need to start factoring growth speeds too when planting.

I did attempt to give the palms by the fence enough space to fatten up, although on reflection I probably miscalculated that with the triangle, but we'll see :) 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DoomsDave
11 hours ago, Eastendr said:

Great points, all around. The self-restraint factor is hard, but the ones I've planted in ground so far I've attempted to give them enough space to enjoy the palm as it matures without getting crowded out. Looks like I need to start factoring growth speeds too when planting.

I did attempt to give the palms by the fence enough space to fatten up, although on reflection I probably miscalculated that with the triangle, but we'll see :) 

Do keep us apprised of your progress!

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DoomsDave

A nice gallon Lanonia 

E3EE9C28-DEE4-477C-9A79-145BDEF89957.thumb.jpeg.c92da730901d6067cf7f1c1241ffb924.jpeg

  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TomJ

I am to A D D.

I plant almost everything straight away.

From 4 inches to 15 gallon.

I do have two Latania lontaroides in 1gl pots that will wait until next Spring.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DoomsDave

And I have others including a five gallon Kerriodoxa elegans I got from @Josh-O a while back.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Gerg
1 hour ago, DoomsDave said:

And I have others including a five gallon Kerriodoxa elegans I got from @Josh-O a while back.

Nice. I’ve actually got a little potted one myself tucked away in the back corner of the yard that I need to put in the ground.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Merlyn2220

For me at the moment...mostly cycads!  I have ~90 in my nursery area and only have a spot picked for a really bizarre triple - Encephalartos Laurentianus!  A lot of the others are "small filler" like Zamia Vazquezii and stuff.  But some are monsters like Natalensis from James760.  For palms I've managed to get most of them into the ground, so the only substantial ones I have still in pots are:

Butia Yatay x Jubaea and Jubaea x Butia Yatay from Patric

Arenga Engleri - 3 pots

Attalea Butyracea and Phalerata 1 gallon

Arenga Pinnata - one that just sulked in the ground and did nothing for ~1.5 years, I yanked it and repotted it and the new leaf opened in 3 weeks.  Go figure.

Copernicia Fallaensis, Gigas, Macroglossa, Prunifera seedlings

Dypsis Pembana - tons of triple seedling pots from PalmatierMeg

Corypha Lecomtei - 3G from ChuckG

Licuala Peltata v. Sumawongii - from Redlands Nursery eBay store

Chambeyronia Macrocarpa - 2 Hookeri and 2 Watermelon 1 gallon pots.

I'm basically planted out, so I really am not sure where some of these are going...  :D

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
redant
On 10/4/2020 at 10:11 AM, Kaname-kun said:

Trying to find a place for Loxicoccus rupicola. Pretty much decided on where the Pinanga caesia, Pinanga maculata, Euterpe edulis "orange crownshaft," and Euterpe pracatoria "variegated" will go. I'm going to wait for the Dypsis maorojejyi to get more size before planting. 

Loxicoccus rupicola

Loxococcus.thumb.jpg.4084c09fa306f58d3e55926ae0ecbb32.jpg

Pinanga maculata and Pinanga caesia

Maculata.jpg

Euterpe edulis "orange chrownshaft"

Orange Crownshaft.jpg

Euterpe precatoria "vairegated"

Pracatoria.jpg

Dypsis marojejyi (with Marojejyi darianii)

Dypsis marojejyi.jpg

 

That's quite a collection for FL, some real nice stuff.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
John hovancsek

After a year in the pen I finally set this l. Obicularis free

20200719_071957.jpg

  • Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
redant

To many to list, not even sure if I have the room :o 

IMG_7126.jpg

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WaianaeCrider

Starting to empty the "bull pen" from last months FB purchase.  Two in the ground today in the shade of an Australian Flame Tree and a Kukui Nut tree.

The "tee pee" over the Calyptrocalyx will have something mounted to give it late morning shade.  There seems to be a "hole" in my shade trees.  LOL

Chuniophoenix nana-20201008_133135.jpg

Chuniophoenix nana-20201008_133146.jpg

20201008_114204.jpg

20201008_114214.jpg

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
palmfriend

Greg,

you started this topic just minutes after I emptied my bullpen...

Since I am not have the luxury to buy any other palms than Arecas, bottle palms or

Ph. roebelleniis, I have to grow any other palm I like or want to grow from seed I can fortunately order internationally.

(Since I am mentioning this almost anytime my apologies in advance!)

However, when I found your thread I had just came back from the garden with a big satisfied grin because...

001-nb.thumb.jpg.ecdb5f83108c41ede3a6be1206561df7.jpg

...I had justed planted out my super-fast growing Neoveitchia brunnea (sprouted in June),

002-ll.thumb.jpg.b229ab0bc99dd46182edc6cc732940b4.jpg

...a Latania lodigessi (until now the only sprout I got) and...

003-rp.thumb.jpg.077d859533267ab045845d7d1b7661ef.jpg

 ...a hard to make out triple Attalea phalerata seedling, sprouted last spring, too.

(No worries, I will give this one more space when it grows up - hopefully...)

These fellas were the most promising during the last months (reg. leaves and roots) 

and so I decided to give them a chance to establish themselves with the remaining

summer heat which will last until early December...

However, I hope this comment still fits the bill ;) -

best regards from Okinawa -

Lars

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Gerg

They will be awesome Lars.

Of course they fit the bill. All palm pictures welcome no matter what the case may be. :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Merlyn2220
9 hours ago, palmfriend said:

 ...a hard to make out triple Attalea phalerata seedling, sprouted last spring, too.

(No worries, I will give this one more space when it grows up - hopefully...)

Hah, and I thought my triple planting of Encephalartos Laurentianus was ambitiously crazy!  :D  That'll be a really interesting cluster if they all grow up together!

1070002411_P1060531Laurentianustriple.thumb.JPG.2aebbff278a49a95a0c8b3aa02991aa3.JPG

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DoomsDave

My big kerriodoxa 

 

7C7383B4-57A1-4C59-B107-4D16D517334C.thumb.jpeg.985cee9edcddd04f2dbf644c1042a18e.jpeg

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DoomsDave

My big variegated Caryota mitis 

00561980-6DAA-4482-9C5B-A3C0EAD880EF.thumb.jpeg.0276cf826033a47ac02bfbea704a19f5.jpeg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kinzyjr

Both the bullpen and the farm system are full of future stars. 

Some of the prospects include: @DoomsDave's Franken Brahea hybrids, Medemia argun, Hyphaene thebaica, Jubaea chilensis, Coccothrinax argentataCoccothrinax borhidianaCoccothrinax miraguama var. havanensisCoccothrinax scoparia, Sabal mexicana, Archontophoenix cunninghamiana, Chamaedorea radicalis, Acoelorrhaphe wrightii 'Azul', Licuala peltata var. sumawongii, Neoveitchia brunnea,

These are all progeny from long-term survivors in the area:Archontophoenix alexandrae, Chamaedorea costaricana, Delonix regia, Dypsis decaryi, Dypsis leptocheilos, Dypsis lutescens, Livistona saribus, Ptychosperma elegans, Veitchia arecina, Washingtonia robusta, Wodyetia bifurcata

20201020_182548_Desk.jpg

20201020_182501_Racks.jpg

20201020_182522_TB.jpg

20201020_182541_Window.jpg

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Gerg
1 hour ago, kinzyjr said:

Both the bullpen and the farm system are full of future stars. 

:floor: Good one. And appropriate during World Series.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sonoranfans
On 10/5/2020 at 7:52 PM, TomJ said:

I am to A D D.

I plant almost everything straight away.

From 4 inches to 15 gallon.

I do have two Latania lontaroides in 1gl pots that will wait until next Spring.

Says a lot about your climate that they survive.  In arizona planting small will kill it unless its a washie or phoenix.  ALmost anything else under 15gal in AZ needed part shade.  In my area of florida the sandy soil and long spring dry season will stunt many palms smaller than a 5 gallon.  I had to pull (2) small copernicia hospitas that didnt like being put in sand at 2 gallon size.  Pots retain water better near the root areas thn our soils even with ammendedments, and until the roots get some size planting means a setback.  In rocky limestone soil like miami here the rain/humidity is more consistent, its always wet so small is probably ok.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
palmfriend
23 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

Says a lot about your climate that they survive.  In arizona planting small will kill it unless its a washie or phoenix.  ALmost anything else under 15gal in AZ needed part shade.  In my area of florida the sandy soil and long spring dry season will stunt many palms smaller than a 5 gallon.  I had to pull (2) small copernicia hospitas that didnt like being put in sand at 2 gallon size.  Pots retain water better near the root areas thn our soils even with ammendedments, and until the roots get some size planting means a setback.  In rocky limestone soil like miami here the rain/humidity is more consistent, its always wet so small is probably ok.  

I think that this is an important point. It definitely depends on your location when you can put a seedling in the ground! I am usually very impatient as well, putting seedlings often in the 

ground when still very young while thinking getting them adjusted asap might be the best. However, my losses are still marginal - so far so so good - but there are a few ones I am treating

like diamonds: I have got a bunch of C. renda hopefuls, trying to get them through the next (their 2nd) winter and maybe I will start a "test balloon" next year, we will see.

On 10/21/2020 at 10:14 AM, The Gerg said:

:floor: Good one. And appropriate during World Series.

No hijacking intended: World series here on Japanese TV starts (live from the US) at 9am - a perfect start in the day 

while having my morning mug :greenthumb::D

best regards from Okinawa -

Lars

PS: bullpen is filling up rapidly again, Veitchias (of all sorts) seem to like our climate

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Briank

My bullpen is over crowded!!!! And keeps growing! 
 

Butia x Jubea x Syagrus 

Chambeybronia Houilou (2)

anthocliesta Grandiflora 

Brahea Super Silver 

Pritchardia Hardyii 

prictchardia Napalensis

pritchardia Martii 

Pritchardia Beccariana Hybrid 

DYPSIS Prestoniana

Encephelartos Kizambo (3)

Trachycarpus Princeps (2)

King Palm Teracarpa (4)

King Palm Maxima (3)

Sabal Yapa (2)

Sabal M

Washingtonia Filifera (2)

Chambeyronia Macrocarpa Double 

 

Combo of these are back ups and also with the thought I hope to start another garden soon maybe somewhere else if I could find another property to buy    
 

Ive run out of room on my place rather quick lol   It’s a jungle  

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...