IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Let's see some Roystonea oleracea's

Palmaceae

I really like these palms, they grow very fast and here is proof. This is a time span of 1 year 6 months. The first picture show the 2 of them  planted in my Cape Coral garden, then a few months later we moved to St Pete and transplanted them there. The new pictures are them today in St Pete.

RO Capture.PNG

1003201553_HDR.jpg

1003201554c_HDR.jpg

1003201553d_HDR.jpg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

This has been in the ground for close to 20 years.  It's the one I'm leaning against, but this picture was from 2008. I can't believe it's the only one on file.  I'll have toget out the tripod and get another tomorrow. 

2008-08.JPG

• Like 3

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

Steve, is the one across from it R. regia? If so this could be a useful comparison photo. But they look very similar...

Very fast for me as well. 2yrs in the ground  from a small 3gal. I'm in East Central Florida .5 mile from the coast. 

20201004_124649.jpg

• Like 3

I would also assume any of those pictured are regia unless otherwise informed.  R. borinqueana on the other hand, has a much darker crownshaft and most of the other species skinnier trunks.

5 hours ago, Frond-friend42 said:

Steve, is the one across from it R. regia? If so this could be a useful comparison photo. But they look very similar...

Yes it is.

• Like 1

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

21 hours ago, WaianaeCrider said:

This has been in the ground for close to 20 years.  It's the one I'm leaning against, but this picture was from 2008. I can't believe it's the only one on file.  I'll have toget out the tripod and get another tomorrow. 

2008-08.JPG

Ok, took this one today but must have been a different camera.  .  Oh crap.  Better camera means bigger file.  Can't upload it..  Will try to get the wife to use my cell phone tommorrow.

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

20 hours ago, WaianaeCrider said:

Ok, took this one today but must have been a different camera.  .  Oh crap.  Better camera means bigger file.  Can't upload it..  Will try to get the wife to use my cell phone tommorrow.

Today's picture.  Sorry for double post under a slightly different topic.  Got the wife to take this one.

Roystonea oleracea-2020-10 (2).jpg

• Like 3

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

Looks awesome! The Regia seems to be growing faster in terms of height but the color of the Oleracea pops much more. 

Here is my trio of Roystonea oleracea. Here on the windward side of tropical Hawaii Island, R. oleracea and R. regia are very popular and familiar landscape items. With familiarity, they can be told apart in a glance. R. oleracea has a hemispherical crown (correct terminology??). The leaves don't hang down. The color is a deep emerald green. Leaflets are in two planes crossing at the rachis. I think the leaflets are wider. On darker green R. regia, older leaves hang down for a time before dying. Leaflets are at all angles. R. oleraceas tend to get taller. The trunks on these guys are massive.

The picture was taken when the sun was just in the wrong place, sorry. At the bottom center, there is the faintest glimpse of the top of a 5-gal orange bucket.

1062497198_Roystoneaoleraceagroup_MLM_100620.thumb.JPG.4babdcdd16536ba35e17944858d8dc75.JPG

Edited by mike in kurtistown
name error
  • Like 2

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

If you ever get to O`ahu guys and gals you need a trip to the Lyon Arboretum in Manoa Valley.  Somewhat off the beaten path is a stand of Roystonea oleracea that are MASSIVE AND TALL.  I haven't been there in years but back then they must have topped 80' tall.  I neet a trip there again SOON.

• Like 1

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

Hear are some big ones at my farm. They are more massive than the Cuban royals, and the flower spikes are quite different. These have been in the ground seven or eight years, easy 50-60 ft tall. They haven't had a challenging winter yet (Fort Lauderdale).

Screenshot_20201014-193923.jpg

• Like 1