IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sprouting Chamadorea radicalis - share your tales

DoomsDave

Hello guy's here are Chamadorea radicalis seeds that I germinated from Dave.  My question is how big do they have to before I can pot them in individual pots.  Thanks.20210408_140223.thumb.jpg.5d730fafb43290acf4fc9e8c922aa794.jpg

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Reyes Vargas said:

Hello guy's here are Chamadorea radicalis seeds that I germinated from Dave.  My question is how big do they have to before I can pot them in individual pots.  Thanks.20210408_140223.thumb.jpg.5d730fafb43290acf4fc9e8c922aa794.jpg

Wait till they get three seedling leaves more or less

Use well drained soil keep on dry side as @sashaeffer recommends.

• Upvote 2

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

3 hours ago, gtsteve said:

There you go @amh .  Male Chamaedorea microspadix X female Chamaedorea radicalis.

I've given them all away now but they grow up as you would expect... looking like a cross between the two.

But as seedlings one characteristic is long petioles/stalks, more obvious from a lower angle.

20210417_101116.jpg

Very cool.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, amh said:

Very cool.

Maybe they'll be fertile and have fertile, interesting babies of their own.

• Like 1

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

1 hour ago, DoomsDave said:

Maybe they'll be fertile and have fertile, interesting babies of their own.

I have both species sprouting right now; about what age do these two species reach reproduction?

The Chamaedorea genus may be great for hybridization.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, amh said:

I have both species sprouting right now; about what age do these two species reach reproduction?

The Chamaedorea genus may be great for hybridization.

I have had Radicalis for at least 10 years. they have flowered the last 2-4 years. They survived the 2021 Freeze. I planted them in different locations in my yard to see how they would handle the sun, but they are too far apart. 

I would like to dig them up and move them close together. They are single stem and I think they a group planting would be better. 

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 2

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

6 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

I have had Radicalis for at least 10 years. they have flowered the last 2-4 years. They survived the 2021 Freeze. I planted them in different locations in my yard to see how they would handle the sun, but they are too far apart. 

I would like to dig them up and move them close together. They are single stem and I think they a group planting would be better. 

That's why I'm so interested in the hybrids, a running or bunching  radicalis would be great.

38 minutes ago, Laaz said:

I have radicalis start fruiting in pots after two years from seed.

Wow mine are 3 yrs old an not fruiting, they are healthy and look good, but not fruiting.  My pots are fairly small, maybe that has limited growth

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

Cham rads can bloom and fruit very fast, in some cases in gallon pots a couple years from seed.

Zoom zoom to the moon.

• Like 1

I pot mine right up to 5 gal. & use my turface / garden soil mix. Here's one, I have quite a few flowering in pots.

20210419_153740.jpg

• Like 2

This is one of Perry from Slopalms "King Kong" radicalis I got years ago. It's in a planting bed, but also started flowering at two years old. This one is in fruit almost all year long.

20210419_154533.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

They are more drought tolerant, cold tolerant, and sun tolerant than I originally assumed.

But I don’t think they will bloom in 2 years from seed here in central Texas. I have potted ones and ones in the ground.

They tolerate neglect and no supplemental water.

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 2

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

Indded. I have found the grow much quicker in the free draining soil than in regular garden soil or in the ground.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Laaz said:

Indded. I have found the grow much quicker in the free draining soil than in regular garden soil or in the ground.

My local soil seem detrimental to most plants and no matter how much fertilizer and water I give in ground plants, the potted specimens do much better.

47 minutes ago, amh said:

My seedlings so far.

20210419_15_12_46.thumb.jpg.833c19b7533b70597697d7e7fb86ed6f.jpg20210419_15_12_51.thumb.jpg.132d5edf9869945c42d551f6fab331c9.jpg

Where did you get all your seeds?  I got some from Dave but was interested in some more.  Willing to pay for them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Reyes Vargas said:

Where did you get all your seeds?  I got some from Dave but was interested in some more.  Willing to pay for them.

I bought the bulk seed from Josh-O back in January; after the February freeze and power outages, I figured the seeds had rotted and solicited some more from Dave.

BTW, thank you Dave!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a couple of better pics of the tough survivors along with other unprotected companion plants.  So far 6 out of 10 have made a serious comeback with another pending...

rsz_c_radicalis.jpg

rsz_cradicalis.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

I mentioned that i planted my seeds too deep. The torrential rain this weekend made them easy to find but still no sprouts. Hope they didn't drown. 

21 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

I mentioned that i planted my seeds too deep. The torrential rain this weekend made them easy to find but still no sprouts. Hope they didn't drown. 

The warmer temperatures should help spur germination.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, amh said:

The warmer temperatures should help spur germination.

It was 94° here today so fingers crossed. 

• Like 2

I got some seeds from @DoomsDave about six weeks ago and most sprouted in two weeks.  I put them on perlite/coco mix in a plastic shoebox style container and stuck them in an incubator set at 85F.  Some of the fastest and easiest seeds I've ever germinated.  

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, Fallen Munk said:

I got some seeds from @DoomsDave about six weeks ago and most sprouted in two weeks.  I put them on perlite/coco mix in a plastic shoebox style container and stuck them in an incubator set at 85F.  Some of the fastest and easiest seeds I've ever germinated.  

I'm thinking I'll move my Dave batch to the heating pad if they dont germinate soon.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, amh said:

I'm thinking I'll move my Dave batch to the heating pad if they dont germinate soon.

How long ago did you plant Dave's seeds?  Mine took about 3 months to start to sprout.

• Upvote 1

No Dooms Dave seed for me, I didn’t get a reply. But that’s ok, hopefully someone can share with others???

Ryan -TX

On 4/19/2021 at 4:56 PM, Reyes Vargas said:

Ditto for me! I would like seedlings. 

Edited by Collectorpalms

On 4/19/2021 at 2:48 PM, Laaz said:

This is one of Perry from Slopalms "King Kong" radicalis I got years ago. It's in a planting bed, but also started flowering at two years old. This one is in fruit almost all year long.

20210419_154533.jpg

Can you collect and offer seeds? I can’t get my hands on any?? Those are nice!

Ryan

3 hours ago, Reyes Vargas said:

How long ago did you plant Dave's seeds?  Mine took about 3 months to start to sprout.

I started them about a month ago, but my night temperatures are still in the 50s and low 60s.

My other batch were very fresh and took about 2 months to germinate, but the mid February cold probably hurt.

Edited by amh
  • Like 1

On 2/28/2021 at 6:05 AM, gtsteve said:

No, but I get Female radicalis X Male microspadix all of the time, due to the Rad being under the big old Micro.

Any possibility of a metallica x radicalis or metallica x microspadix hybrid?

No Aaron, 

Ch. metalica, is in subgenus Eleutheropetalum, whereas both radicals and microspadix are in subgenus Moreniella.  According to Hodel 'Chamaedorea Palms,  The species and their Cultivation '92.'

My point being that if you look up the closely related species you are more likely to find a match.

"due to the Rad being under the big old Micro" That previous statement of mine was misleading, I should have added  'And the Rad and the Micro being in the same subgenus (closely related.) I hope that this helps you.

• Like 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

11 minutes ago, gtsteve said:

No Aaron, 

Ch. metalica, is in subgenus Eleutheropetalum, whereas both radicals and microspadix are in subgenus Moreniella.  According to Hodel 'Chamaedorea Palms,  The species and their Cultivation '92.'

My point being that if you look up the closely related species you are more likely to find a match.

"due to the Rad being under the big old Micro" That previous statement of mine was misleading, I should have added  'And the Rad and the Micro being in the same subgenus (closely related.) I hope that this helps you.

Makes sense, It appears that there are 8 subgenera.

• Like 1

I bought some from ebay back in February and they never sprouted. I tried contacting the seller and he cussed me off telling me that all palmtree seeds take long to sprout. Said: "They are not magic beans". lol ridiculous the seeds were totally dry and dead. Oh well :( waste of 5 dlls

Edited by Ivanos1982

Welp

We had a wild thunderstorm this morning and one of my pots of seeds is MIA lol. Found the saucer. Found a pile of dirt. So Mother Nature just guerilla planted some C. Radicalis somewhere in Walker County. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

My Dave batch is now germinating. Only 2 have popped up, but more should follow with warmer temperatures.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

What a great palm community we have here!  Nearly my first day after joining (after just snooping anonymously for awhile) Dave offered to send me some C.rad seeds as a welcome gift! Thanks again for that!

So here they are now, and it seems I'm getting a mix of heeled and straight up varieties.  How's this going for everyone else, a mix of vertical and low types for you as well?

Thanks!  

Jake

IMG_20210525_133215.jpg

• Like 2

On 5/3/2021 at 6:39 PM, Collectorpalms said:

No Dooms Dave seed for me, I didn’t get a reply. But that’s ok, hopefully someone can share with others???

Ryan -TX

See my PM. Sorry I missed  you. I get LOTS of PMs!

• Like 1

If you ever get more microspadix x radicals and are willing to ship them, please let me know. 

• 2 weeks later...

The radicalis I got from Cistus Nursery in Oregon at 2" last year is now a towering 4".

20210607_084315.thumb.jpg.1bd3b815ea8855cd39a867a16e95b632.jpg

The tag says "tops out at waist height." Is this right? I thought they got taller. If this isn't the trunking form, I'm trashing it. (I've issued this threat directly to the plant. Response has been inconclusive.)

Any suggestions for a way to add to the population; that is, sources for trunking-form plants on the upper Gulf Coast? 

• Like 1