IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Fruit collected from fruiting butia in College Station

Teegurr

The form of this Butia is really nice, almost looks like it has some Jubaea in the mix, hopefully your seeds will come true to form. 

• Like 2

what street is this, just curious!

Ryan

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

23 hours ago, 8B palms said:

The form of this Butia is really nice, almost looks like it has some Jubaea in the mix, hopefully your seeds will come true to form. 

I would have to agree,  those dont look like normal Butia Odorata. Maybe JxB not sure how early they seed tho 

T J 

It looks a lot like my Butia with similar color, just a little further along.  Lots of variation in the species.

1989894895_rsz_B.odorata.thumb.jpg.93a9e934fbb575c6660fb5a9d3628b9e.jpg

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

That is also a really cool Butia. The problem is when they are small and cheap you don't always show their true form, by the time they do they get pricey..

On 10/2/2020 at 8:51 PM, Collectorpalms said:

what street is this, just curious!

Ryan

Langford

Gotcha, on Glade just two blocks away you will find a highly neglected 20 year plus Butia. pre 1999.

Edited by Collectorpalms

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

11 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

Gotcha, on Glade just two blocks away you will find a highly neglected 20 year plus Butia. pre 1999.

I've seen it. That one is impressive still.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2020 at 7:51 PM, Teegurr said:

20201002_184009.jpg

20200910_075122.jpg

Good luck germinating these! I collected around 20 back in June and July and I haven’t had any germination yet with the peat/perlite baggy method with bottom heat. They need a lot of patience and I have heard of just 0 success at all. I’ve seen stratification popped around with some cold hardy palms and this might benefit from it.

• Upvote 1

I've had best results germinating Butia seeds that I stratified in my refrigerator for a few weeks before sowing.  Easier still is finding already germinated seeds in the old leaf boots of the parent tree.  It's amazing how many of the taller Butias have volunteer seedlings growing in their old leaf boots.

• Like 2

Jon Sunder

5 minutes ago, Fusca said:

Easier still is finding already germinated seeds in the old leaf boots of the parent tree.  It's amazing how many of the taller Butias have volunteer seedlings growing in their old leaf boots.

Have about 7 currently in mine

• Upvote 1

I have had miserable results with the baggie method when it comes to Butia. Community pots with potting soil in the backyard has worked for me very well here in Austin.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Dimovi said:

I have had miserable results with the baggie method when it comes to Butia. Community pots with potting soil in the backyard has worked for me very well here in Austin.

I'd have to agree with you - I don't think I've ever germinated one in a baggie.

Jon Sunder

I went from 2 consecutive years of nothing germinating, then finally 19 days.  For me was a tip from a member to remove the the embryo from the "walnut shell like outter covering".  I might have used pliers, channel lock pliers to make the shell crack, then pick at it without hurting the embryo.

• Upvote 2

Survived Feb. 9, 1971 & Jan. 17, 1994 earthquakes   Before Palms, there was a special airplane

619382403_F-117landingsmallest.jpg.0441eed7518a280494a59fcdaf23756d.jpg

Now I remember, large bench vise.  Set the seed in the recess where the screw holding the jaws on, cover with towel/rag and safety glasses...

Survived Feb. 9, 1971 & Jan. 17, 1994 earthquakes   Before Palms, there was a special airplane

619382403_F-117landingsmallest.jpg.0441eed7518a280494a59fcdaf23756d.jpg

4 hours ago, TheMadScientist said:

Now I remember, large bench vise.

Yes, the last time I germinated Butia seed was using this method.  There are often multiple embryos in each seed so it's possible to get multiple plants from a single seed. 

• Like 2

Jon Sunder