IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Where have I been?

BS Man about Palms

Howdy! 

I thought I would update some as my attendance has been sporadic here for a while.. like everyone, life has twists and turns, but the biggest thing lately kind of has to do with my avatar..as such.

Loyal readers will know I used to Autocross heavily (low-budget parking lot racing). but I enjoyed it and was Nationally ranked.. (I took 2nd in the Nation in SCCA in 1998 in my class in my avatar car)

Anyway, I behaved pretty well and did not purchase another vehicle for 10 years, but a few years back, I had the opportunity and the itch and the flood gates opened!!

First up, I bought this. A 2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP coupe manual 5spd.. Last year, I won my local championship against various Porsches and Corvettes.

20171231_135350.jpg

• Like 8

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Then, I decided the Pontiac was not the fastest quirky car to have in class, so I looked for an orange Lotus... couldn't find one.. so I bought this.. (Still have the Pontiac)

105942919_3180545322006147_7767339718818083682_n.thumb.jpg.b79428b7f6874cc12ef3ac5d7bb7b7cf.jpg

But then I sold it.. (new owner shown, getting ready to drive away in it..) 2005 Lotus Elise

• Like 4

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

2 months after I bought the dark blue one, an orange one showed up with less miles, 5 miles from the first one!!

A 2005 Lotus Elise in Chrome Orange... KEEPING this one!! (And won two races for 2 races in it this year!)

107531196_614577595845493_2769050174419463157_n.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

And I just kinda splurged to add a little monster to the mix... 

I added a 2008 Lotus Exige S240 to the mix... (shown after a fun first day track outing, pre wash)

118843411_2366559400318091_10465691542716915_n.thumb.jpg.3dcc77a3e1c58fbe722ac2dc2efe5948.jpg

If I keep this up, I may have to change my avatar to a Palm... or ..an A/C unit?..lol

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

I've wanted an Elise since they came to the USA and then wanted an Exige even more!  I like those S 240 waaaaay too much!  Have too many cars and keep trying to continue selling down (although I may look at an 88 Alfa Spider Quad project this weekend) Does the S 240 have the touring pack or no? Being a road track kinda guy I wouldn't want that option.  So, what's next? Perhaps a 2-Eleven?

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, BS Man about Palms said:

Then, I decided the Pontiac was not the fastest quirky car to have in class, so I looked for an orange Lotus... couldn't find one.. so I bought this.. (Still have the Pontiac)

105942919_3180545322006147_7767339718818083682_n.thumb.jpg.b79428b7f6874cc12ef3ac5d7bb7b7cf.jpg

But then I sold it.. (new owner shown, getting ready to drive away in it..) 2005 Lotus Elise

Whooo... you had us worried.  I see that you have taken good care of the weeds next to the driveway, wouldn't want those to get neglected.  So is that you late on Saturday nights that I hear on the Coast Highway with the rpm's wound up between our Leucadia speed bumps???

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Last year, I won my local championship against various Porsches and Corvettes.

Just shows that the driver is more important than the machine.  Bill drove me from Oceanside to Fallbrook, I had no idea we could get there so quickly !  :mrlooney:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

San Francisco, California

As a fellow car nut I understand how time consuming the car hobby is! My dad raced SCCA in the mid-90s. There is an MSR track 6 miles from my house that always has events going on. Taking my kids later today after they get out of school. Im more into restoring classic cars, but my boys love supercars. I sometimes hear people on palmtalk say how expensive the palm tree hobby is. Compared to the car hobby this is practically free! Your Lotus is awesome!

• Like 1

Lotus makes some fun cars! Ferrari’s and Lamborghini’s are actually a little too big for my taste, something smaller like a Lotus is ideal I think. :greenthumb:

• Like 2

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

Always wanted a Lotus... Only real sports car I ever had was a very old Kurtis Kraft... Fun car, but crazy fast... Wish I still had it... 

You have the bug, for sure:yay:...

Butch

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Eastendr said:

Fantastic, but when do we get to see the TVR?!

Too much work to move all of the potted palms?  :P

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

3 hours ago, HtownPalms said:

I sometimes hear people on palmtalk say how expensive the palm tree hobby is. Compared to the car hobby this is practically free!

^^^ Ya got that right!!!

I've mentioned it before but I think we need a "Show car thread" there's a lot of us who have all sorts of cool cars & trucks from one extreme to the other I've noticed in peoples palmy pics.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

@NOT A TA start a thread with you car next to your palms haha 

Ha, I started a thread while you posted this^^^!  Join in! Share a pic or a few!

• Like 1

Ahhh Bill, nothing beats a true obsession! :lol: Glad to know (and see) that you're having lots of fun, and when it comes to having fun there's no better time than RIGHT NOW! B)

• Like 1

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

We should try racing down Whittier Booley to the Dark Tower thru East LA some early ungodly hour of the morning . . . .

• Like 2

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

9 hours ago, Eastendr said:

Fantastic, but when do we get to see the TVR?!

Heres 4 of them... lower left is my avatar car...

103507536_1091911164535634_7316091169392295936_n.thumb.jpg.ec82a6818c69ef61af6e59f7747fa7e4.jpg

OK.. so more details...

lower left,  79 TVR 3000S, my avatar car

upper left, 68 TVR Tuscan V8

upper right, 77 TVR Taimar Turbo

lower right, 72 TVR "Hybrid" with a 302 Ford in it..

• Like 3

12 hours ago, NOT A TA said:

I've wanted an Elise since they came to the USA and then wanted an Exige even more!  I like those S 240 waaaaay too much!  Have too many cars and keep trying to continue selling down (although I may look at an 88 Alfa Spider Quad project this weekend) Does the S 240 have the touring pack or no? Being a road track kinda guy I wouldn't want that option.  So, what's next? Perhaps a 2-Eleven?

It has Track Pak, Touring Pak and factory LSD.. Reflash to 260 too..

Bill, glad to see ya still around and like probably all of us, you have a passion other than palms.

One car I would love to have you just can not get here in Oz. The Dodge Challenger Hellcat. What a monster. Would love one.

Either that or the Jeep Trackhawk upped to 1000HP. It’s the Cherokee with the Hellcat engine. So powerful it’s just stoooppiddddd......

• Like 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

8 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

It has Track Pak, Touring Pak and factory LSD.. Reflash to 260 too..

'factory LSD' ?  I could have used that in 1969.

• Like 1

San Francisco, California

22 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

2 months after I bought the dark blue one, an orange one showed up with less miles, 5 miles from the first one!!

A 2005 Lotus Elise in Chrome Orange... KEEPING this one!! (And won two races for 2 races in it this year!)

107531196_614577595845493_2769050174419463157_n.jpg

Probably one of the most perfect autocross cars. On the highway though they are scary small. Great toy.

• Like 2

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

• 1 month later...

Here is a "sorta" yard update using the Exige washed about 3 weeks ago..125212937_1503418296510359_3981140061064364962_n.thumb.jpg.1499eae3506af7238d5aad599c4d6550.jpg

Among other things than these playtoys, I am waaay behind on yard maintenance again.. I need to make a dent on these weeds before rainy season starts!!

• Like 1

This is so awesome! I am actually a big fan of racing as well as palms. I tried driving a Ferrari on an autocross course years ago and loved it. Don't think my wife would approve of me doing it these days.  I have been barking up that tree for years but apparently it's too dangerous. Bill you have some awesome cars there! Definitely better than my Dodge Dart with a 1.4 turbocharged Fiat 500 engine and 6 speed manual transmission. Definitely fun to drive but not fast enough for autocross. 

• Like 1

Hi Bill, Nice to catch up with you and actually see your cars! I recall a few years ago we had a conversation about Ginetta? I've always liked Lotus too. Glad to see you're still getting younger! :D

• Like 1