IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Queen palm seed

Adam Halford

I’ve just come back from Portugal and gathered loads of seeds whilst there.. I couldn’t get up to the pods on the tree so I took some queen palm seeds from the base of the tree.. I soaked straight away and removed the outer pul and left in soak the remainder of the holiday, also wrapped in damp paper towel when I bought them home. Will these germinate as I’ve read they need to be picked when half ripe or else the ripening inhibits the germination??

cheers

2 minutes ago, Adam Halford said:

I’ve just come back from Portugal and gathered loads of seeds whilst there.. I couldn’t get up to the pods on the tree so I took some queen palm seeds from the base of the tree.. I soaked straight away and removed the outer pul and left in soak the remainder of the holiday, also wrapped in damp paper towel when I bought them home. Will these germinate as I’ve read they need to be picked when half ripe or else the ripening inhibits the germination??

cheers

I've germinated them fully ripe and picked up off the ground after a 28F advective freeze.  Hopefully you'll have similar luck.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

1 minute ago, kinzyjr said:

I've germinated them fully ripe and picked up off the ground after a 28F advective freeze.  Hopefully you'll have similar luck.

Ok pal nice one, u use bag method or pots? Living in uk so cold now but got a heat mat set around 80

@Adam Halford

I used an open container (solo cup with 50/50 potting soil/perlite mix) and bottom heat at around 90F.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

6 minutes ago, Adam Halford said:

I’ve read they need to be picked when half ripe or else the ripening inhibits the germination??

cheers

Not true... Ripe seed has a much better chance of sprouting.I'm still having queen volunteers occasionally pop up from a tree that was removed 3 years ago.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

I had a large queen I cut down and fallen seed kept sprouting for 2-3 years afterward like @aztropic is experiencing.  Fully mature seed that fell should sprout fine.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

@Adam Halford

I used an open container (solo cup with 50/50 potting soil/perlite mix) and bottom heat at around 90F.

How long u rekon they need a soak? Gathered them Tuesday and soaked overnight, peeled then soaked again till I left then I wrapped in moist towel

5 minutes ago, Adam Halford said:

How long u rekon they need a soak? Gathered them Tuesday and soaked overnight, peeled then soaked again till I left then I wrapped in moist towel

What you did as far as soaking and peeling mirrors what I did.  Germination started at about the 2 month mark in my case.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

42 minutes ago, Adam Halford said:

I’ve read they need to be picked when half ripe or else the ripening inhibits the germination??

I've read something similar, but agree with @aztropic.  As long as the fruit is removed or decomposed they germinate just fine.  I did a small experiment last year - collected green semi-ripe fruit and orange fully-ripe fruits that had fallen from the tree.  Cleaned all the seeds and planted them in the same medium and gave them the same growing conditions.  100% of the seeds from ripe fruit germinated while 0% of the seeds from the semi-ripe fruit germinated.

• Like 3

Jon Sunder

3 hours ago, Fusca said:

100% of the seeds from ripe fruit germinated while 0% of the seeds from the semi-ripe fruit germinated.

I love experiments like this ^^^.  Thanks for sharing!

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Adam Halford said:

cheers

I wish that were true. I get thousands of Queen seedlings every year from fallen fruit that doesn’t get cleaned up out of the garden. As long as the seed is fresh, it’s likely to germinate. 

Edited by Jim in Los Altos

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens