aztropic

Copernicia rigida

aztropic

My Copernicia rigida finally seems to have taken off this year with our record breaking heat waves. It's actually been planted in that spot for about 10 years now from a small seedling,but has just begun producing its first few upright fronds.Its been very slow for me, (maybe too much shade) but I'm hopeful it has an accelerated growth rate from this point forward. :rolleyes:

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20200930_181909020.jpg

IMG_20200930_181936921.jpg

• Like 11

GottmitAlex

Very nice

• Like 1

Meangreen94z

Your yard is too cool. If it were up to me I would be out in Phoenix with you guys. 

• Like 1

sonoranfans

Another amazing growing feat in the sonoran desert!:greenthumb:  Nice job scott, one day those cactus might be a bit close eh? 

aztropic

With rigidas slow rate of growth,cacti won't have any problems for many years to come.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 1

Silas_Sancona
23 minutes ago, aztropic said:

With rigidas slow rate of growth,cacti won't have any problems for many years to come.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Agree, they ( any cacti/ pretty much anything else nearby ) and the rigida will likely adjust their spacing over time, just as they would in habitat.  Cacti below it ( 7' o clock position ) a Turk's Cap? ( Melocactus )

aztropic

No. Melocactus do not seem to do well in the ground here. I have several in pots though that I've had over 20 years. The cactus in question is Coryphantha elephantidens,a beautiful fall bloomer with large,highly scented, pink flowers.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

16015706004187346446915304015998.jpg

IMG_20190925_160643831.jpg

IMG_20190925_160653019.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

aztropic

Just recently lost this Melocactus azurus,which, as you can see, was ancient.:(

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

16015712344486845586189307231081.jpg

Silas_Sancona
1 minute ago, aztropic said:

Just recently lost this Melocactus azurus,which, as you can see, was ancient.:(

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

16015712344486845586189307231081.jpg

Yea, that a bummer:(...  Had ( technically still have ) a small Melocactus bahiensis the base of which decided to rot entirely.. Still "alive" and hoping it will re-root.. Lost a couple others i'd brought with from FL.

• Like 1

SWFLchris

Here is a nice one 

CF81C45D-7B94-4523-BF0B-86CE5C44E885.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

aztropic
On 10/1/2020 at 9:51 AM, aztropic said:

No. Melocactus do not seem to do well in the ground here. I have several in pots though that I've had over 20 years. The cactus in question is Coryphantha elephantidens,a beautiful fall bloomer with large,highly scented, pink flowers.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

16015706004187346446915304015998.jpg

IMG_20190925_160643831.jpg

IMG_20190925_160653019.jpg

Another fall blooming cactus I always look forward to is this Ferocactus. Again,large,brightly colored,highly scented flowers!

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20201004_142916295.jpg

IMG_20201004_142943347.jpg

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• xoRudy
      By xoRudy
      Hello ladies and gents, 
      On September 27th, 2020 my third child was born. On that exact day I also planted a Bismarckia In my front yard. This was not planned at all, my wife was having some contractions throughout the previous night and some in the morning but nothing too serious. That morning I planned on doing some planting and followed through with the plans. Right after the Bismarckia was in, my wife told me it was time to go to the hospital (Barley even had time to take a picture and water the palm). Long story short, here we are a year later, God willing, and I decided that it’s only right to take a picture each year to see both of their growths. This Bismarckia is now my daughters palm.

Sep 27, 2020 (Top Pic)
      Sep 27, 2021 (Bottom Pic)

• xoRudy
      By xoRudy
      Good afternoon, 
      I was scrolling down my camera roll and I realized that I took some pictures of my palms in only two parts of my yard almost exactly a year ago. I figured I’d take some photos today and see the comparison in growth over the year. Enjoy! (I know my palms are close, that’s how I want them )
      First & Third photo are from August 22, 2020 (before)
      second and fourth photo are from September 1, 2021 (after)

• xoRudy
      By xoRudy
      After a long hunt for a Green Bismarckia last year, finally found one and bought it from @Joe palma. I planted it in the ground on August of 2020. I was a bit concerned for it due to the health state of it, location of hole, time of planting and the climate here in Maricopa, Arizona. The winters touch the 20s and the summers touch the 118s. After using shaders for the months of August, September, and October (2020). Then wrapping it with a blanket on the cold winter days, I can now say that it’s grabbed and now growing. The growth of the palm over this year hasn’t been too crazy but the overal health, color, and look of the palm is amazing. I also haven’t used shaders this summer and it hasn’t skipped a beat.

August 2020 (Top Photo)
      August 2021 (Bottom Photo) 

• aztropic
      By aztropic
      The Copernicia species has proven itself another winner in the CA and AZ low deserts. Many Caribbean natives seem to do very well here,taking a liking to our dry,alkaline soils.
      This is my biggest Copernicia berteroana on the left,that I grew from seed I collected on the IPS sponsored trip to the Dominican Republic in 2006. Rather fast growing,but the most frost tender cope I grow. It can replace an entire canopy in 1 season.
      On the right is Copernicia macroglossia,the petticoat palm.(sans petticoat) It has to be tied up due to the planting location,but will be released after it grows a few more feet of trunk.

aztropic 
      Mesa,Arizona

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I've been under the weather for the better part of a month due to side effects of a 2nd covid vaccine in April following a 1st covid vaccine in March following a bout of Covid-19 the whole month of Nov. The side effects of those triggered attacks of chronic migraines and Meniere's disease that affected my ability to stand and walk a straight line. Last week my husband went out of town to visit the grandkids alone as I am not fit to travel farther than the CVS pharmacy. So, I've been unable to sell or ship any of my bodacious seeds or plants.
      But he's due home later today and I'm hoping to sell again to supplement my limited income and afford an order from Floribunda.
      A few weeks ago on a day I could stand and walk, we paid a visit to the Fort Myers palm parks to see what was going on. Most of the palms looked healthy if a bit scruffy. I believe because of Covid, Ft. Myers Public Works doesn't devote a lot of time to these parks aside from mowing grass. In the past, grounds keepers scrupulously trimmed the palms, including inflorescences and infructescenses. 
      Imagine my surprise when we discovered two Copernicias were seeding profusely:
      1. Copernicia baileyana
      2. Copernicia prunifera
      We found the ground covered with black prunifera seeds and I filled a 13g trash bag with them. The baileyana seeds were just starting to ripen but I managed to find some of those. I am willing to make another collection if enough people are interested in them. I seldom see fresh seeds of either species available anywhere. And if Ft. Myers' groundskeepers ever get back on track, my windfall seeds source will disappear again.
      But before I post topics in the Sale Forum or venture into downtown FM, I want to gauge interest in seeds of these palms. Does anyone want them? How many? As these seeds are the size of large marbles and a chore to clean, I plan to sell them by the piece, which is what most people do here, say $0.20 to $0.25 each + shipping. Anyone interested?
      I got photos of the mother palms below
      Copernicia baileyana, Ft. Myers, FL, 2021

Copernicia prunifera, Ft. Myers, FL, 2021 - Fronds looked silver/blue to me