IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

9b Chamberyonia macrocarpa showing some nice color

Reeverse

8 hours ago, HtownPalms said:

Looks great! I have some seedlings. I can't wait for the day that they are big enough to throw out red leaves. 

They often throw red leaves when still in the seedling stage. 

• Like 2

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

8 hours ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

They often throw red leaves when still in the seedling stage. 

Ok, good to know. Thanks!

37 minutes ago, HtownPalms said:

Ok, good to know. Thanks!

Harlon, unfortunately they stay in the seedling stage a long time.

Jon Sunder

On 10/1/2020 at 10:02 AM, Fusca said:

Harlon, unfortunately they stay in the seedling stage a long 

Ok, I didn't know that. Mine germinated this summer, so I guess I better get used to them being tiny for a while. Until then I will just enjoy everyone else's through pictures!

56 minutes ago, HtownPalms said:

Ok, I didn't know that. Mine germinated this summer, so I guess I better get used to them being tiny for a while. Until then I will just enjoy everyone else's through pictures!

Mine are nearly 3 years old from germination and the latest leaf showed some red color, but only briefly.  It resides behind shade cloth and isn't much larger than last year and still has not gone pinnate yet.  Hopefully next season it will start to pick up speed.  Maybe yours will fare better with more favorable conditions over there.

Jon Sunder

Wow! Three years and not pinnate with only a little red! At least I know what to expect. Had I not heard this i would start thinking I got the wrong seeds.