IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Autumn palms in NE Fla St. Augustine, FL

Lou-StAugFL

@Lou-StAugFL Now that is my type of Autumn!  Thank you for sharing the photos!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Which species is that pinnate palm in the third to last photo Lou?

I had a fabulous time during my last day trip to St. Augustine.  We had dinner at a little restaurant by the shore that had a garden that reminded me a lot of yours.  Lots of zone 9b and  some zone 10 stuff, like banana, papaya, seagrape, Phoenix roebelenii, Dypsis lutescens, etc.  

Your garden is the perfect fusion of Deep South charm and the lush tropical touches made possible by the milder coastal Central Florida climate.

• Like 3

The palm in the foreground of the third to the last photo is Veitchia merrillii, Adonidia merrillii planted in large pots. But I have not had to move them in several winters so they will probably go in the ground in March.  I also grow beccariophoenix alfredii, Rhapis Excelsa, Livistona chinensis, Arenga engleri, Phoenix reclinata, archontophoenix cunninghamiana, Syagrus romanzoffiana, mule palm, pindo palm, Chamaerops humilis, Chamaedorea cataractarum, Chamaedorea elegans, chamaedorea microspadix, washingtonia robusta, washingtonia filifera, Phoenix roebelenii, Dypsis lutescens.  I do have some nice sized seagrapes, papayas, mango, starfruit and banana.  I am fortunate to be close to the Intracoastal Waterway so that keeps us pretty warm in the winter as well as the great live oak canopy that keeps frost off of everything in the backyard.  I've lived on this property almost 40 years.  Back in the late 70s and 80s we had much colder nighttime temperatures we were solid 9A then, for the past decade we have been much more 9B.  Fingers crossed for this winter.  It gets much colder and frosty just a couple miles inland from here on cold nights.  My bananas and papayas haven't lost any leaves the past three winters.  My carambola is taller than my house as is my mango.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Lou St. Aug, FL

The alfie in full sun is much nicer than the one under the oak canopy, but I wanted to make sure I still had one if it ever gets really cold. 

• Upvote 1

Lou St. Aug, FL

To my eye, that is an unusual looking Veitchia (Adonidia merrillii).  I actually like the look of your palm more that the typical Adonidia.  The trunk rings, color and texture look a bit different, but it is probably related to its particular growing conditions.  Maybe it is just me, who knows.

I would love to have an Adonidia that looks like that though.  Nice growing.

• Like 2

I wonder if because the Adonidia is grown in lots of shade from the oaks if that is what makes the trunk rings and color a little different?

• Upvote 1

Lou St. Aug, FL

Hey Don, here’s a pic of the Bizzies at my office, it’s a few block away from the TC Dike, real close to your relatives. 

B9B6ED18-9384-4F1B-8CCB-883FEA563F2F.jpeg

E4AB0625-92C6-48AF-982C-E43464FE1831.jpeg

• Like 4

On 10/1/2020 at 4:03 PM, Lou-StAugFL said:

I wonder if because the Adonidia is grown in lots of shade from the oaks if that is what makes the trunk rings and color a little different?

I'm sure that's it.  I actually prefer the appearance of some palms when shade grown, even if they grow in full sun in habitat.  Livistona chinensis for example.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2020 at 9:57 PM, palmsOrl said:
On 10/1/2020 at 3:03 PM, Lou-StAugFL said:

I'm sure that's it.  I actually prefer the appearance of some palms when shade grown, even if they grow in full sun in habitat.  Livistona chinensis for example.

I agree, shade grown, stretched out chinensis looks like a different (better) species than the stumpy, chlorotic, full sun plants in my hood.  Plus, those dudes are huge. 

Edited by topwater
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Aloha Lou, my wife and I just bought a home on Anastasia Island.  Glad to here you consider this area 9B.  The town of St. John where I moved from is notoriously prone to frost events.  The backyard of my new property faces south and is under canopy of a giant live oak and several laurel oaks.  Here's a list of palms I've grown up to 15 gallon container size since 2015 that I'll be putting in the ground:

licuala peltata var sumawongii

licuala ramsayi

chambeyronia macrocarpa

heterospathe cagayensis

dypsis basilonga

cyphophoenix nucele

caryota mitis variegata

schippia concolor

kentia forsteriana

ptychosperma schefferi 

dypsis carlsmithii

Great to here there are mangoes growing locally too.  That's the one thing I really miss about my other home in Brevard County.  Only other mango tree I've see this far north was in Palm Coast along the canals.

Cheers!

Edited by Kekoanui
  • Like 2

I have lived here since January 1983 but don't think I planted them until the early 90s since we had such bad freezes in 1989 and the early 80s.  So probably a little older than 25 years old.  Think they got especially tall because of the shade they were reaching for the sun.

• Like 1

Lou St. Aug, FL