IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal miamiensis 'Leu Garden' HUGE (hybrid?) Seeds for Sale

PalmatierMeg

My second Sabal miamiensis, grown from a seed I collected from a plaqued palm at Leu Botanical Garden in Orlando, FL, has produced its first crop of seeds. They are by far the largest Sabal seeds I have ever seen in person. I posted about them in a topic I link to below.

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/65324-sabal-miamiensis-leu-garden-huge-fruit-seeds/&tab=comments#comment-954404

So, are these seeds the offspring of a pure S. miamiensis or a hybrid between S.m. and another Sabal species growing in Leu Garden? I'm not sure and I believe no one else is either.

If you wish to learn more about S. miamiensis, read the following article from Palmpedia

https://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Sabal_miamiensis

I have another Sabal miamiensis that I received as a tiny seedling in 2008. It has been seeding for years and I thought it had large seeds - until now. This year I cut off its inflorescenses so its genetics would not interfere with the newer palm. However, I have seeds of my older S.m. remaining from 2019 to compare. My younger S.m. flowered and set seeds earlier than than the older. Those seeds also ripened 6-8 weeks earlier than any other Sabal. I finished harvesting them earlier this week. Sabal palm seeds in Cape Coral generally ripen from late Oct. through Nov. Not only are these seeds exceptionally large but they are also fewer in number than I have seen on any other Sabal except uber dwarf Sabal minors.

Photo 1:  Left) Six seeds of S. miamiensis 'Leu Garden' - compared to - Right) six seeds of my older S. miamiensis 'Original' from 2019

53355315_Sabalmiamiensisseedcomparison09-28-20.thumb.JPG.e52f4bd7dce3c8acdb04e5f50edac42a.JPG

I want to make these unusually large Sabal miamiensis 'Leu Garden' seeds available to PTers. I am also offering the remainder of my older miamiensis' 2019 crop at a discount. Sabal seeds are not short-lived like some palm seeds and these nearly year-old seeds should still germinate well. Perhaps some of you might wish to grow both sets of seeds side by side for comparison, then report back to the forum with results. I can package both sets for combined shipping.

Sabal miamiensis 'Leu Garden' Seeds:  25 @ $10.00 for the lot

50 @ $15.00 for the lot

100 @ $20.00 for the lot

Sabal miamiensis 'Original' 2019 seeds:  50 @ $8.00 for the lot

100 @ $12.00 for the lot

Shipping: $6.00 up to 300 seeds             No shipping outside the US.  No shipping to HI

Payment via Paypal

PM me if you are interested

Photos

Sabal miamiensis 'Leu Garden' seeds (top) and fruit (bottom)

810246033_SabalmiamiensisLeuGardenfruitnseeds0109-12-20.thumb.JPG.492ee3843c28fd6d1a13946d8162f405.JPG

Sabal miamiensis 'Leu Garden' mother palm, 2020

201789507_SabalmiamiensisLeuGarden0109-12-20.thumb.JPG.afb2e5406eb666e606c5505171c792c6.JPG

Sabal miamiensis 'Original' mother palm, 2019

2144657717_Sabalmiamiensis0210-28-19.thumb.JPG.9ccd536e0d90ecef4ce9c277f225055b.JPG

• Upvote 3

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

• 7 months later...

Do you have any seeds for sale from the Lew Garden specimen?

No seeds until end of the year

Meg

Florida

• 7 months later...

Hi, I have corresponded with you before, I am in the Redlands, SW of Miami and a collector of Palms. You said you would have Miamiensis seeds available later on this year.

So I am inquiring again. I received one group of 75 seeds from another source and have 60+ seedlings now but want as many genetic lines as possible. If you remember I an working with Sam VanLeer of Urban Paradise Guild. We wish to reintroduce the species into its native land. Sam does Pine-rockland restoration here in Miami-Dade County. We hope you can help us.

Thank you,

George Bailey

Seeds are available. Please PM me. I don't discuss sales on the open forum.

Be aware my mother palm may be a hybrid between S. miamiensis & S. mexicana.

My pure miamiensis aborted its crop of seeds this year.

Meg

Florida