• Similar Content

• aztropic
      By aztropic
      The Copernicia species has proven itself another winner in the CA and AZ low deserts. Many Caribbean natives seem to do very well here,taking a liking to our dry,alkaline soils.
      This is my biggest Copernicia berteroana on the left,that I grew from seed I collected on the IPS sponsored trip to the Dominican Republic in 2006. Rather fast growing,but the most frost tender cope I grow. It can replace an entire canopy in 1 season.
      On the right is Copernicia macroglossia,the petticoat palm.(sans petticoat) It has to be tied up due to the planting location,but will be released after it grows a few more feet of trunk.

aztropic 
      Mesa,Arizona

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I've been under the weather for the better part of a month due to side effects of a 2nd covid vaccine in April following a 1st covid vaccine in March following a bout of Covid-19 the whole month of Nov. The side effects of those triggered attacks of chronic migraines and Meniere's disease that affected my ability to stand and walk a straight line. Last week my husband went out of town to visit the grandkids alone as I am not fit to travel farther than the CVS pharmacy. So, I've been unable to sell or ship any of my bodacious seeds or plants.
      But he's due home later today and I'm hoping to sell again to supplement my limited income and afford an order from Floribunda.
      A few weeks ago on a day I could stand and walk, we paid a visit to the Fort Myers palm parks to see what was going on. Most of the palms looked healthy if a bit scruffy. I believe because of Covid, Ft. Myers Public Works doesn't devote a lot of time to these parks aside from mowing grass. In the past, grounds keepers scrupulously trimmed the palms, including inflorescences and infructescenses. 
      Imagine my surprise when we discovered two Copernicias were seeding profusely:
      1. Copernicia baileyana
      2. Copernicia prunifera
      We found the ground covered with black prunifera seeds and I filled a 13g trash bag with them. The baileyana seeds were just starting to ripen but I managed to find some of those. I am willing to make another collection if enough people are interested in them. I seldom see fresh seeds of either species available anywhere. And if Ft. Myers' groundskeepers ever get back on track, my windfall seeds source will disappear again.
      But before I post topics in the Sale Forum or venture into downtown FM, I want to gauge interest in seeds of these palms. Does anyone want them? How many? As these seeds are the size of large marbles and a chore to clean, I plan to sell them by the piece, which is what most people do here, say $0.20 to $0.25 each + shipping. Anyone interested?
      I got photos of the mother palms below
      Copernicia baileyana, Ft. Myers, FL, 2021

Copernicia prunifera, Ft. Myers, FL, 2021 - Fronds looked silver/blue to me

• JANAIY
      By JANAIY
      Today I see a yellowing leave stem, it’s the 7th leave and some rust like spots. I don’t like it and am concerned. What is it and what should I do to stop it? 
      Since they like water not sure if she got too much. Hope somebody know Leo an assist?! 

• aztropic
      By aztropic
      My Copernicia rigida finally seems to have taken off this year with our record breaking heat waves. It's actually been planted in that spot for about 10 years now from a small seedling,but has just begun producing its first few upright fronds.Its been very slow for me, (maybe too much shade) but I'm hopeful it has an accelerated growth rate from this point forward. 

aztropic
      Mesa,Arizona

• aztropic
      By aztropic
      Had a Copernicia berteroana freeze and die this past winter,so a new planting space just opened up,in an already full garden.Decided to go with another species of Copernicia for the replacement.Here's a super blue yarey I grew from seed I collected in habitat,in Cuba.Let's see what it can do,now that it has space to stretch its roots!

aztropic
      Mesa,Arizona