IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

How hardy is Trachycarpus Nova?

knikfar

There is almost no information online about the Trachycarpus Nova's hardiness. I planted three of them in my Raleigh, a warm zone 7b, yard this past spring and now I'm worried about them making through our winters. I plan on protecting them on extremely cold nights this year but that's not something I'd like to do every year. Does anyone have some expertise they can share on this? 

If small I'd protect them in 1st winter.  I don't know nova hardiness.  Here is the protection thread

• Upvote 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

I have 4 in the ground here in Wilmington.  They all had spear pull this past very mild winter (which was like a zone 9 minimum temps).  However, they were all 3 gallon size at best.  The ones in full sun recovered from the damage quickly.  The one in full shade is still a bit sad looking and the one that gets only morning sun is just now looking good.   They definitely put on hieght much quicker than a seedling size regular windmill.  I'm hoping they gain hardiness as they trunk.  I think I have the "wide leaf" form of Nova?  They basically look just like a typical windmill to me.  

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Joe NC said:

I have 4 in the ground here in Wilmington.  They all had spear pull this past very mild winter (which was like a zone 9 minimum temps).  However, they were all 3 gallon size at best.  The ones in full sun recovered from the damage quickly.  The one in full shade is still a bit sad looking and the one that gets only morning sun is just now looking good.   They definitely put on hieght much quicker than a seedling size regular windmill.  I'm hoping they gain hardiness as they trunk.  I think I have the "wide leaf" form of Nova?  They basically look just like a typical windmill to me.  

That's good info. This past winter was really warm. I've noticed the trachys don't do as well in sandy soil. That they actually prefer clay over sand. I used to spend a lot of time in the Greenville NC area and I noticed the trachys always looked ragged there after winter but the ones here in Raleigh looked just fine. 

1 hour ago, knikfar said:

actually prefer clay over sand

Drspite being the rest of the area being generally quite sandy, I actually have very heavy clay soil with a bit of loam on top.  The Trachys in my yard do seem to love it.  (Well except princ.) The small nova seem to benefit from (or need) full sun more than windmills of the same size.

I have grown waggies and regular windmills from a similar small size, and they all usually had some sort of spear pull every winter until they get a foot or so of trunk.

The nova just seemed a bit extra willing to loose a spear after a really mild winter.

Can confirm. Have a young Nova and lost a spear during its first and very mild winter (temps in the high 20s or 30s). Grew right out of it. I heard that they do get hardier with age, are probably a bit less hardy than the typical species, but they should be able to handle a 7b when healthy and in a good spot.  Mine's in shade and slower than expected. 

I had a bunch  of novas grown from seeds. Some had spear pulls during a week of an arctic cold front where temps dipped to 18F. This one pictured is the hardiest of the two and is going into its third year. It was protected only by a frost cloth last year. No supplemental heat as I’m a zone 8b. 
Has put out 2.5 fronds this year in full sun. Has a long clean elegant base than the regular fortunei.

ED9D51C9-F59D-4272-B0ED-2F2D26BA5FF3.jpeg

Edited by southpacific73

All trachy spear pull when young.  We planted a lot of 5g nova in oklahoma 7b that have done just fine the last 3 years. 

11 hours ago, southpacific73 said:

I had a bunch  of novas grown from seeds. Some had spear pulls during a week of an arctic cold front where temps dipped to 18F. This one pictured is the hardiest of the two and is going into its third year. It was protected only by a frost cloth last year. No supplemental heat as I’m a zone 8b. 
Has put out 2.5 fronds this year in full sun. Has a long clean elegant base than the regular fortunei.

ED9D51C9-F59D-4272-B0ED-2F2D26BA5FF3.jpeg

Nice!  I had to look twice, in that light at first I thought you had a prize variegated Trachy! LOL

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

All three of mine were 5 gallon when I planted them early this past spring. So my plan for this winter is to purchase three 32 gallon clear trash cans and put those over each one on nights when temps fall below 25 degrees. I'm hoping that will be enough. 

DSC_5225.thumb.JPG.cb806df3af09d5f87f106577536d32cc.JPG

Planted this one last summer. It didn't receive any protection in winter, also there is no canopy over it. It came unfazed through its first winter as well as similar sized T. fortunei. One T. wagnerianus spear-pulled though. Winter has been unusually mild however: lowest temperature was only about -6°C/22°F, but there were several nights at about -3 to -5°C and many cold windy days (typical for 49°N).