IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

CA grown Copernicia Pics Please

Briank

I have struggled to purchase or try to grow any Copernicia in my Landscape. 

The only ones I have seen grown well are in the Desert of CA.   I live 4.5 miles from Pacific Beach.  

Of the other Copernicia Palms I’ve seen in Gardens in So cal are Further East or Further North.   And some of those Were grown Elsewhere and Planted much larger from Beginning.  

Because they are so slow and the only 1 I have planted is and Alba that was about 3-5ga Size.   Generally the most common ones growers here sell are Prunifera and Alba. 

I love these palms as I scroll through Palmpedia or the Web, but I can’t get myself to try And grow one.   

Im asking if People on here have grown any from Seedling size or 5ga size in their garden that is now looking very good.  I know it won’t be like what we would see in Florida, Cuba or even Palm Desert but curious to any pics. 

can be any Copernicia I.e Fallense, Alba, Macgroglossa(not much of a fan of these) Hospita etc.  

Im located about 5 min East of Sea World, about 2 min from Palm Legend Wrights Place for Reference.   I get heat, but never above 87 degrees in middle of summers And have Clay soil.  

Thanks in Advance. 

brian 

I  have Macroglossa, Alba, prunifera and bailyana. All are easy to grow. Baily and Macro are very slow for me but steady. I know that  there are plenty of bigger ones in here. Hopefully Josh-O, Mattyb and Len will post some pics.  save some time and drop the bucks for the biggest you can find. 

• Like 4

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

5 hours ago, The Steve said:

I’ve posted this before, but here’s my macroglossa after about five years, planted from a three gallon.  Your climate is pretty similar to mine.74F4705A-5549-49C0-B537-918CD0D4C6DF.thumb.jpeg.0c3a39ea7e0f00e0241253f63b5e1962.jpeg73065A81-1BA8-4C31-A715-70D8D7C214AD.thumb.jpeg.2a4a98446314968930213c76643427e1.jpeg62A56327-A3AB-4396-93CE-1F1798533169.thumb.jpeg.1ca93d224b3ba2aa5220af2cfff79577.jpeg

Yeah remember seeing that Palm.  Just doesn’t do it for me.  At all.   I’ve seen joshs that are of good size.   Just doesn’t look like a palm tree to me lol.   Everyone got different taste.  We have pretty much the same climate your correct.   

Contemplating a Fallense type in my yard.   Have the Alba up front w maybe 3 Fronds on it.  

• Like 1

Copernicia x textilis (baileyana x hospita).  The first picture is when I planted it, I think this one was in a squat 10 gallon, while the other one in my backyard was larger.  Planted shortly before the phot on 12/3/2015, with the updated photo about 2 months shy of 5 years later (9/30/2020).  So while my plant was not a seedling, it does show what growth you can expect if you can find one that is a little bigger to start with.  As far as climate goes, lots of marine layer on the coast, so not the heat in my yard of areas even a couple of miles from the ocean.

20151203-104A0033b.jpg

20200930-BH3I1229.jpg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 3

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

18 minutes ago, Tracy said:

Copernicia x textilis (baileyana x hospita).  The first picture is when I planted it, I think this one was in a squat 10 gallon, while the other one in my backyard was larger.  Planted shortly before the phot on 12/3/2015, with the updated photo about 2 months shy of 5 years later (9/30/2020).  So while my plant was not a seedling, it does show what growth you can expect if you can find one that is a little bigger to start with.  As far as climate goes, lots of marine layer on the coast, so not the heat in my yard of areas even a couple of miles from the ocean.

20151203-104A0033b.jpg

20200930-BH3I1229.jpg

Interesting Hybrid.   Havnt seen that one for sale anywhere.   Looks like it slightly more than doubled in 5 yrs.   good spot for it.  

• Like 1

That texillis looks great!  Its a happy palm for sure.  I am wondering about its final size.  If its nearly as big as a baileyana, its gonna get tight just after trunking as the leaves go to full size.  My bailey sat there for years with ~30" leaves from stem end to tip of leaf, then after the start of trunking they started to get bigger.  they now measure 54"+ from end of stem to end of leaf.  

• Like 2

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Copernicia fallaensis in Vista, CA

Copernicia fallaensis

Copernicia macroglossa in Vista, CA

Copernicia macroglossa

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

I'm always up for learning new things!

Copernicia baileyana in Vista, CA

Copernicia baileyana

Copernicia baileyana in Palm Desert, CA

Copernicia baileyana

• Like 5

Copernicia baileyana in San Diego, CA

Copernicia baileyana

Copernicia hospita in Palm Desert, CA

Copernicia hospita

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, sonoranfans said:

If its nearly as big as a baileyana, its gonna get tight just after trunking as the leaves go to full size.  My bailey sat there for years with ~30" leaves from stem end to tip of leaf, then after the start of trunking they started to get bigger.  they now measure 54"+ from end of stem to end of leaf.  

I'm hoping it is somewhere between a baileyana and hospita in size, but one never knows with hybrids.  If it does get big, my guests will just have to park further to the other side of that parking area.  Fortunately, my wife and I use the back driveway and garage, so almost never park out front.

2 minutes ago, kylecawazafla said:

Copernicia baileyana in Vista, CA

I don't think any of Josh's were grown from small sizes in California, he acquired all those close to the sizes you have posted.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

On 9/28/2020 at 2:43 PM, Briank said:

I have struggled to purchase or try to grow any Copernicia in my Landscape. 

You should also consider the other palmate genus from Copernicia's region which is Coccothrinax.  I waited a long time before growing them because I had been told that they wouldn't do well on the coast (kind of like hearing that Dypsis decipiens, Bismarckia nobilis and others would be slow as molasses close to the beach).  After watching the others thrive, as well as a couple of other Cuban palms, I thought why not try Coccothrinax as well.  Since your focus is on specimens planted out small I'll share the two 1 gallon's that have thrived for me since planting.  First 2 photos of a Coccothrinax argentata, second 2 photos of a Coccothrinax "no ID" which I have been told is likely a C miraguama.  These won't be the statement plants that a Copernicia would be, but they are nice complementary palm with other larger species which you can definitely grow in your microclimate.

20200927-BH3I1221.jpg

20200927-BH3I1222.jpg

20200915-BH3I1093.jpg

20200915-BH3I1094.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Tracy said:

You should also consider the other palmate genus from Copernicia's region which is Coccothrinax.  I waited a long time before growing them because I had been told that they wouldn't do well on the coast (kind of like hearing that Dypsis decipiens, Bismarckia nobilis and others would be slow as molasses close to the beach).  After watching the others thrive, as well as a couple of other Cuban palms, I thought why not try Coccothrinax as well.  Since your focus is on specimens planted out small I'll share the two 1 gallon's that have thrived for me since planting.  First 2 photos of a Coccothrinax argentata, second 2 photos of a Coccothrinax "no ID" which I have been told is likely a C miraguama.  These won't be the statement plants that a Copernicia would be, but they are nice complementary palm with other larger species which you can definitely grow in your microclimate.

20200927-BH3I1221.jpg

20200927-BH3I1222.jpg

20200915-BH3I1093.jpg

20200915-BH3I1094.jpg

I love Mariguama,  but I really love the Azul type the most.   One day I’ll plant one of those.  They are just painfully slow. 

I have Trithrinax Acanthocoma growing well in back yard. 

And you were correct josh planted rather large Copernicia to start.  But he has a Small Fallense I’m considering. 

I’m truly out of Hot Sun Spot in front yard.  It’s a jungle now.   So these Sun lovers will have to go in back yard but just don’t have good Spots right now.    

I have been focusing on back yard w more Pritchardia collection lately but you never know a Spot might open somewhere sunny and be nice to have a Copernicia ready to go. 

I’ll eventually find a good size one hopefully to grab.   My Bizzys have grown at great speed but think that’s cause I’m just far enough from the beach that they grow faster. 

4 minutes ago, Briank said:

My Bizzys have grown at great speed but think that’s cause I’m just far enough from the beach that they grow faster. 

Actually Bismarckia's do fine along the coast, which was my point.  There are plenty of inaccurate assumptions, so sometimes you just have to try something and see how it does.  The one below in my Carlsbad rental has been flowering for a few years now, and this photo was last spring, so I know it's bigger now.

20200516-104A6614.jpg

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Tracy said:

Actually Bismarckia's do fine along the coast, which was my point.  There are plenty of inaccurate assumptions, so sometimes you just have to try something and see how it does.  The one below in my Carlsbad rental has been flowering for a few years now, and this photo was last spring, so I know it's bigger now.

20200516-104A6614.jpg

Nice.   So you have 2 places along coast that have great looking palms !  I want and need to buy another place to fill my Palm Addiction, something that has plenty of room.  Even if it’s north or east county I don’t need to have Dypsis growing everywhere.   I actually am the other way,  love tropical but I would like thec challenge of growing a large garden in More Heat sun.  I think I only have 2 Dypsis growing in my garden.  

I love larger robust palms.  Brahea Livistona Hybrids, even if they slow growing fan palms I think layering them looks great. 

maybe find something in Valley Center/Fallbrook or Jamul to get couple acres.   I just see a driveway lined w Mule Palms,  Jubea x Butia hahaha.   

Ive seen Copernicia in AZ so I would assume in coastal CA they are uncommon but noticeable20200321_155311_HDR.jpg.f63a8feb4ed8858fb694cff082d278a0.jpg

20200321_154332.jpg.0a35d4b499cee6ab0c335cd8afccc41a.jpg20200321_161006_HDR.jpg.538fe61ea629f8adc8dc2c139ead7c20.jpg

20200321_153724.jpg.dd0f4cb0e15be925fcda8277f2b10645.jpg

Edited by Mr.SamuraiSword
  • Like 2

I’m inland a bit in Temecula and have had good luck with alba and pruinifera

ECCA7754-125A-4A44-A6CD-2CA3FF15368F.thumb.jpeg.9ca139ca0c35c40509104434e9ac34e3.jpeg

D4434B28-4D3D-4F0B-B206-55D2A45D542F.thumb.jpeg.fda1a18e33aff944a76fd2611e8cf485.jpeg

A65DCB3A-21CC-4EF9-A2C4-FAA82592589D.thumb.jpeg.7e447bcb17a6fb563652cddd0f0f3738.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

My recommendations . If you live inland and not along the coast plant a copernicia !! You won’t be disappointed. Finally something the OC  collectors can’t compete with 

• Like 1

Not California,:lol:but still a nice bailey I grew from seed I collected in Cuba. Planted in summer 2014,it is now in a 15 gallon pot but needs to be planted soon as roots are escaping! 7 growing seasons now under its belt just to get to this size in my much hotter climate, can explain why larger copernicia specimens are rather expensive compared to other faster growing species.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

16017709583696014426266658727952.jpg

• Like 2

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

My 5 gallon Copernicia fallaensis has been even slower. Talk about an exercise in patience! :crying:

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20201003_173618415.jpg

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Seems as though one they get a little bit of size I would put them close to bismarkia speed for me once they start holding more than one spear it’s on!!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

Copernicia alba . 

image.jpg

This is the only one I have in ground.  About same size but mine only has 3-4 fronds.   

And another fallaensis 

image.jpg

Where did you get the Fallense? Josh has some not sure what size but I’m keeping my eyes out.  Tempted on this one.  

My recommendations . If you live inland and not along the coast plant a copernicia !! You won’t be disappointed. Finally something the OC  collectors can’t compete with 

I’m right on the line ! I live 4.5 miles off of the beach.  On top of the hill from Mission Bay.    It will grow.   I just hate how slow it is, and I’m running out of Hot places to plant.  Front yard is no go it’s a jungle.  

backyard has a Few Spots left. 

Copernicia Baileyana 

image.jpg

From this look, you look like your in Riverside area maybe off Van Buren 215 then head west ? Or Alessandro? Wood crest area?