IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Black Sphinx Date Palm Offshoot Wanted

Palmcycasnut

Hello all, i was wondering if anyone in Arizona has a Black Sphinx date palm offshoot they want to sell? Or if anyone has a shippable sized one anywhere else in the country? Thank you :greenthumb:

13 minutes ago, Palmcycasnut said:

Hello all, i was wondering if anyone in Arizona has a Black Sphinx date palm offshoot they want to sell? Or if anyone has a shippable sized one anywhere else in the country? Thank you :greenthumb:

Thinking the only way to access authentic Black Spinx offsets would be to contact  someone connected with ASU's Date Palm collection.. Have heard talk of offered offsets in the past, but hard to say whether or not that is true.

Yes I've tried them,  very sporadic sales/auctions of offshoots. Tried for 3 years to get one from them and no luck. 

I have a seedling grown from a black sphinx date you're welcome to have,but it will take another 10 years of growing to figure out if it's male/female,and if the fruit will be true to type.

I've previously raised a batch of medjool variety from the grocery store dates,watched some of them mature, and they actually DID reproduce true to type! It's worth a shot...

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Nice! Nothing like a fresh "medjool".  Well Scott not sure i wanna wait 10 years just for it to turn out to be a male :wacko:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/28/2020 at 12:38 PM, aztropic said:

I have a seedling grown from a black sphinx date you're welcome to have,but it will take another 10 years of growing to figure out if it's male/female,and if the fruit will be true to type.

I've previously raised a batch of medjool variety from the grocery store dates,watched some of them mature, and they actually DID reproduce true to type! It's worth a shot...

Do you ship? And if so would you charge for the seed?

Most people avoid shipping actual live plants as there is just too many things that can go wrong along the way. (bless the ones who do!) Not to mention the time involved to prepare the shipment,cost of shipping supplies involved,and a trip to the post office and back.Unless it's a high value plant shipped in it's growing container,it's just not worth putting forth the effort,or taking the risk, for me.

To help you better understand the situation,USPS postage alone for medium/large flat rate box is $15/$20 which is already a deal breaker for many people. Add in an hour minimum of your time,shipping supplies,plus the cost of raising the plant. Guess I could have just given a quick,1 word answer which has to be...  "NO"

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/28/2020 at 9:13 AM, Palmcycasnut said:

I have access to Black Sphinx pups directly off the mother plant. Only way to be sure you’re going to have true-to-variety dates.  Should fruit in a couple years.

Going to get a couple myself after the first of the year.  Could dig an extra.  Shipping is a little rough as mentioned above - do you ever make it down to Arizona?

• 3 weeks later...

I grew out some black sphinx date palms from fruit I picked up at the black sphinx grove in AZ.  I put two more plants in the ground last spring and gave several plants away.  Will be interesting to see what they do. 

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/arts/the-mysterious-date-palms-of-phoenix-6582888

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 12/7/2020 at 6:51 AM, ahosey01 said:

I have access to Black Sphinx pups directly off the mother plant. Only way to be sure you’re going to have true-to-variety dates.  Should fruit in a couple years.

Going to get a couple myself after the first of the year.  Could dig an extra.  Shipping is a little rough as mentioned above - do you ever make it down to Arizona?

Hi! I am looking for Black Sphinx pups. Do you still have access to them?

• 5 months later...
On 12/7/2020 at 2:16 PM, ahosey01 said:

And I'm an idiot - you said "in Arizona." PMd you.

I'd love to get a couple pups 

Let me know price, details, if you wish.

Thank you.

On 12/7/2020 at 6:51 AM, ahosey01 said:

I'd love to obtain a couple.

Let me know ow price,etc. If you wish.

Here in Phoenix area  Thank you..