IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cocothrinax azul

bubba

Not a Coccothrinax but a very blue Copernicia. Still a stunner!

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

very Nice! Love Fan Palms, and Blue ones always nice!  The Azul is very cool Palm, and wish one would grow faster here in CA... Finding them also an issue in CA.

That looks like A Hospita to me as well.... Very ncie Palm   Another tough grow in CA.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Briank said:

very Nice! Love Fan Palms, and Blue ones always nice!  The Azul is very cool Palm, and wish one would grow faster here in CA... Finding them also an issue in CA.

That looks like A Hospita to me as well.... Very ncie Palm   Another tough grow in CA.  

Brian,

You should try a Copernicia or two, out here.  I’ve tried a number (in pots and the ground), and have found them to actually be fairly trouble free growers.  They’re typically not too fast, but steadily put on mass, and the growth is appreciable.  But, like others have mentioned, you would want to plan ahead for sun in the future.

• Like 1

Aztropic,

I trust your expertise much more than many of the incorrectly labeled palms at ANSG but just to show I did not pull a hat trick:E07BDA89-5423-4477-B259-2B4E717291E1.thumb.jpeg.df9ce708290d605639710c91ba63404f.jpeg

• Like 2

What you look for is what is looking

This is Coccothrinax macroglossa Azul in my  Grey  Garden at the beach . Lower center.

2081DE70-FD18-4BDA-8CA3-A7BB175CB9C1.thumb.jpeg.dde772b95bc8cc30158f6291b83579ce.jpeg

• Like 7

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

A closeup of Coccothrinax macroglossa azul trunk to help show plant characteristics; aiding in ID. Notice the burlap texture,thin unarmed petioles,and seed structure of this rather fast growing coco.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

1601310505392702793861019804060.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

I think this is a very elegant Coccothrinax that is the perfect size for a small urban landscape.

• Like 3

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

No question that the palm I photographed was a Copernicia or unlikely a Latania.

What you look for is what is looking

Definitely Copernicia with armed petioles! :lol:  (maybe bring the ID mistake to the attention of the garden curator)

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 2

Mesa, Arizona