IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Royal turning yellow/crimson/brown

NickJames

So one of my field grown royals (the one that is growing much slower than its sister) now has the oldest fronds turning yellow/crimson/brown. The new growth in the middle that is not yet fully unfurled appears to be a nice deep green. Should I be worried? I knew it was growing more slowly and still had some burnt edges from being planted in a very dry spring but the additional changes on the foliage is Worrying me. Should I be worried?

10A5096F-7B4C-4C7A-A3B2-388C1175A2F9.jpeg

How long ago did you plant it?

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

@NickJames  One was given to my by @palmsOrl earlier this year.  I plopped it into the ground out in the open after a short adjustment period.  It seemed like it was sulking for a bit and it seems to have needed more time to adjust to full day summer sun.  The new fronds it is putting out are a nice deep green, but some of the old ones have a similar look to yours.  Whatever the folks with more expertise have to share will probably be relevant to my palm as well if it isn't just minor transplant shock and adjusting to more sun.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

I have one in a pot. Due to the recent scorching weather, the older fronds have burned badly and the frond which is opening up is green as green can be.

16011780746045237002949183022081.jpg

IMG-20200925-WA0084.jpeg

IMG-20200925-WA0088.jpeg

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

24 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

How long ago did you plant it?

March. It was BLISTERING HOT and dry. 

I know I’ve mentioned and compared in other threads But the other field grown one that got planted is about twice as thick now and the fronds are just much better looking. It’s definitely growing a lot faster. Here’s the other one that’s planted 40 feet from it. 

016AF0D0-54FC-4B22-A378-3AB55F3A5000.jpeg

• Like 1

It also doesn’t help that my husband looked out at it today and said “it’s dying.” Telling me one of my palms is dying it like shooting me. LOL. 

3 minutes ago, NickJames said:

It also doesn’t help that my husband looked out at it today and said “it’s dying.” Telling me one of my palms is dying it like shooting me. LOL. 

Palm growing in Florida can be defined as moments of joy (when they mature and flower), and vast stretches of boredom (while they mature over the years) punctuated by moments of sheer terror.  Ex. Jan. 2010, Dec. 1989, Jan. 1985, husband/wife/sig.other says palm is dying... 

I wouldn't count this one out just yet, especially if it is still growing.  How much fertilizer has been applied?  Any chance this is a case of missing minor nutrients?

@GottmitAlex I'm definitely no botanical ID expert, but it looks to be a Foxtail in your photos.  Similar symptoms to the royal, though. 

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

4 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

Palm growing in Florida can be defined as moments of joy (when they mature and flower), and vast stretches of boredom (while they mature over the years) punctuated by moments of sheer terror.  Ex. Jan. 2010, Dec. 1989, Jan. 1985, husband/wife/sig.other says palm is dying... 

I wouldn't count this one out just yet, especially if it is still growing.  How much fertilizer has been applied?  Any chance this is a case of missing minor nutrients?

@GottmitAlex I'm definitely no botanical ID expert, but it looks to be a Foxtail in your photos.  Similar symptoms to the royal, though. 

It's a foxtail alright. Exposed. South facing. Hasn't been moved. 

1601180046485930137066045762826.jpg

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

It's a foxtail alright. Exposed. South facing. Hasn't been moved. 

1601180046485930137066045762826.jpg

Have you ever had issues with spears opening? Mine has a long spear that still hasnt opened. This same spear was growing when i got the foxtail, and now a second spear is coming in. I now have 2 spears on this foxtial at once, not sure if this is normal. I got this foxtail on June 24th, that means this spear has been around unopened for up to 4 months if i added all of that correctly.

Edited by JLM
added info

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

41 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

I don’t think fertilizer is an issue because it’s had just as much as its sister. I’ve applied MicroLife Ultimate, PalmGain, Lutz palm spikes for slow release Methods....and also have used MicroLife liquid. 

I guess it’s possible not as much rootball was captured when it was transplanted in my yard. 

14 minutes ago, JLM said:

Have you ever had issues with spears opening? Mine has a long spear that still hasnt opened. This same spear was growing when i got the foxtail, and now a second spear is coming in. I now have 2 spears on this foxtial at once, not sure if this is normal. I got this foxtail on June 24th, that means this spear has been around unopened for up to 4 months if i added all of that correctly.

No. What has happened was the two new spears/leaves (upon bringing it home) were shorter than the previous ones.  But no, they open one right after the other. And I love the way they do it. Like no other palm. The tips of the leaflets appeared to be cut by a kindergartner using special alligator-toothed construction paper scissors.  They're gorgeous. 

IMG-20200925-WA0114.jpeg

• Like 1

Hopefully mine opens right up soon. Might need boron?

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

I had one that looked like that for years - didn't like my heat (it still grew like a rocket). Now it looks quite normal.

Edited by mlovecan
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Lardos, Greece ( Island of Rhodes ) 10B

1.9 km from Mediterannean Sea

no telling where the palms came from, and how they were treated.  Two palms can get different treatment.  Neither looks like its busting out for a royal yet and they dont do that the first year anyway, so Im gonna say it was field grown but more recently dug up.  Mine were sitting in large plastic boxes probably for a growing season and were notably fat at the base, showing they were well watered.   How fat a royal is depends largely on watering consistency.  I suspect both are recovering still from being dug up and time will heal the wounds.  Dont overfertilize in response to this, not needed as you have had plenty of rain and royals are not so sensitive to nutrients.  Just give it some time, keep it watered.   They will be vulnerable this winter so be prepared to cover them or add lights.  As times goes by and they establish they will get more cold hardy.  Mine werre larger, sat there for a while after planting not alot of growth, started to push leaves at the end of the second growing season after planting.  Royals grow HUGE roots systems which extend far from the trunk.  Yours have small ones a recent plantings, and not much leaf area for photosynthesis, they will fill out I think.  The only other possibly I can think of is perhaps something in the soil, test your pH as this can vary considerably due to construction debris.  When I moved in 10 years ago, many royals in my neighborhood were neglected, owners don't even use palm fertilizer, they had to be told there was such a thing.  Today all are well established and most seemed to really pop in growth the last two wet years.

• Like 3

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

• 2 weeks later...

Pics from today of the one I was worried about. The new growth still looks good? It was just so shocking to see all the old growth brown so suddenly....

724EA620-CDEF-4CBE-BF7D-2D9E2536E685.jpeg

B13D0649-6665-493F-8867-C0F5097E1EAC.jpeg

E170157C-5269-42BF-A533-302E170260EA.jpeg

44692EBB-994D-4BE0-B46A-4FB33483D9DD.jpeg

A4E54B64-ACCE-4559-8F11-3EDF1D1CA330.jpeg