IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trithrinax Campestris advice

Jubaea_James760

My Trithrinax Campestris is suckering &  creating a triple. This happened before & i just hacked it off but now I'm wondering whether to keep it? Its growing out in a weird area away from the other 2. Should I leave it be for a bit or chop it off? Does anyone have examples of theirs doing this & how it eventually will look? Please post pictures of yours & how you decided to let it grow.

20200925_205755.thumb.jpg.c7773a49d22829e54861af16ed33166a.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

I'd always let campestris do its thing.  I was lucky enough to get 4600 seeds this year. 

• Like 5

Interesting, I guess it may end up looking like this (pic found on the web). Not bad, right? Mine isn't doing this (yet) but I'd probably cut if it did. The reason being that I have it at a spot where I don't want the prickly trunk to get too far out. 

TxCamp.jpg

Edited by Swolte
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

I'd always let campestris do its thing.  I was lucky enough to get 4600 seeds this year. 

Holy cow, 4600 seeds! Amazing! Goodluck on germination :greenthumb:  I hear they can take long & have low germination rates but say you get 20% (low balling) thats 920 seedlings :yay:

• Like 2

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

2 hours ago, Swolte said:

Interesting, I guess it may end up looking like this (pic found on the web). Not bad, right? Mine isn't doing this (yet) but I'd probably cut if it did. The reason being that I have it at a spot where I don't want the prickly trunk to get too far out. 

TxCamp.jpg

I don't think I've seen this photo on the internet. That is 1 good looking Campestris there! Truly stunning imo. The palm literally splits in half (dichotomize) when its ready. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I'm going to leave it for awhile. Worse case down the line I don't want it it'll meet the Sawzall ;)

• 4 months later...

My thee T campestris really took off this year. It’s as if they took two years to get settled. This summer they however grew quite a bit. Two of them also produced new suckers. The new growth was almost like a new whorl of leaves at a time. See pics:

The second picture shows the new larger leaves nicely. 
On the 5th pic you can see the much more silvery new growth clearly. 

49FCF8E1-2D02-4CFF-B5F8-6C7E7839476B.jpeg

FB0BEAC2-557F-4D66-885E-617E916CA527.jpeg

35B93AE9-8856-4757-91C4-9F34D80E62A2.jpeg

FC580AC0-4CE2-4C3E-BF05-FF1A51B1B952.jpeg

6D858EC4-B758-4987-AF6E-ECCDC2541B48.jpeg

03A9207A-3D1D-4990-9F9B-FAEF6799FCB2.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Upvote 1

On 10/1/2020 at 8:22 PM, Swolte said:

TxCamp.jpg

This palm has to be at least 433 years old.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

@Marius, Nice set of Trithrinax Campestris! Mine did the same push of new leaves from the sucker as well. All at once. I've noticed my newest leaves are turning my metallic grey/silver-ishhh! I'm really pleased with this palm :D

Only thing is I wish I planted more like yourself :greenthumb:

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, James760 said:

@Marius, Nice set of Trithrinax Campestris! Mine did the same push of new leaves from the sucker as well. All at once. I've noticed my newest leaves are turning my metallic grey/silver-ishhh! I'm really pleased with this palm :D

Only thing is I wish I planted more like yourself :greenthumb:

It’s great to hear that someone else’s ones are growing the same way. These are my only palms that seem to push a flush out almost overnight 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 2/24/2021 at 7:30 PM, Marius said:

My thee T campestris really took off this year. It’s as if they took two years to get settled. This summer they however grew quite a bit. Two of them also produced new suckers. The new growth was almost like a new whorl of leaves at a time. See pics:

The second picture shows the new larger leaves nicely. 
On the 5th pic you can see the much more silvery new growth clearly. 

49FCF8E1-2D02-4CFF-B5F8-6C7E7839476B.jpeg

FB0BEAC2-557F-4D66-885E-617E916CA527.jpeg

35B93AE9-8856-4757-91C4-9F34D80E62A2.jpeg

FC580AC0-4CE2-4C3E-BF05-FF1A51B1B952.jpeg

6D858EC4-B758-4987-AF6E-ECCDC2541B48.jpeg

03A9207A-3D1D-4990-9F9B-FAEF6799FCB2.jpeg

Update 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 6

On 10/2/2020 at 5:22 AM, Swolte said:

TxCamp.jpg

That looks like the one from the Botanical garden in Naples, Italy

• Like 1

• 4 months later...