IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Red trunk Dypsis ID...Tribear?...and the 2nd one?

lzorrito

Hi, all!

Got this two seedlings recently, but I can't identify them...waiting for your contribute, please.

The 1st one has got a triangular trunk, so I think it is a D. decaryi x ? ... hybrid?

The 2nd one I just can't figure out what it is...

Sorry about the low light photos but it was quite cloudy today. I may post new ones if needed.

Thanks.

IMG_20200925_183108.jpg

IMG_20200925_183607.jpg

IMG_20200925_183627.jpg

IMG_20200925_183731.jpg

Greetings, Luís

Lzorrito, I wonder if #2 could Gaussia. Maybe G. princeps? It has quite the belly on it. The first one isn't pure decaryi as you've figured out, but I agree it could be a cross.

35 minutes ago, Frond-friend42 said:

Lzorrito, I wonder if #2 could Gaussia. Maybe G. princeps? It has quite the belly on it. The first one isn't pure decaryi as you've figured out, but I agree it could be a cross.

@Frond-friend42, yes, #2 could be G. princeps, but the grower from whom I got it told me it was some kind of Dypsis rare species, he even mentioned that it could de D. decipiens, but I doubt it...! He once germinated them and some are still "lost" on his property depths. I found them, just by luck, on a nursery box, deep under large weeds...jungle like. Its leaves are quite stiff compared to G. maya and G. gomez-pompae. Upper photos were taken just after cleaning and repotting.

Here are some today's photos along with Gaussia Gomez-pompae (left) and G. Maya (right) so that we can compare them. As you may access the leaves are quite similar indeed, but trunk structure is somewhat different. As for colours, as it was depply cleaned yesterday, trunk base colour is now obviously changing, I say we should wait and see.   IMG_20200926_153930.thumb.jpg.4e838caae4b25406ae49ca574d1b56de.jpg

1 hour ago, Frond-friend42 said:

The first one isn't pure decaryi as you've figured out, but I agree it could be a cross.

Agree, #1 is not a pure decaryi. I found them on the same conditions as #2 a couple months ago and these were tagged as D. decaryi, but at first glimpse I didn't bite that... One thing I know for sure, the trunk is getting more deep redish, new leaves are showing a nice bright green, an its growth rate is very good, a new spear every 30/40 days, it seems it's in a hurry. 

I've also got 3 other Dypsis, from the same nursery, that I still can't ID...

Greetings, Luís

2 hours ago, Frond-friend42 said:

#2 looks more like the G. Maya to my eye.

They have quite some similarities, but also some differences...hard to tell while seedlings.

And what about #1, what do you think?

Greetings, Luís

I'm really not sure. TriBear seems like a good possibility.  They are variable enough.  These have much more red than decaryi at this stage. 

29 minutes ago, Frond-friend42 said:

I'm really not sure. TriBear seems like a good possibility.  They are variable enough.  These have much more red than decaryi at this stage. 

Yep, that or other kind of hybridization. I'm really intrigued with that reddish and with the thin trunk. I'm really intrigued with that reddish and with the thin trunk. It grows in height but not widewards. D. decaryi and TriBear trunks are usually much wider than this one.

• Like 1

Greetings, Luís

My guess would be d Madagascarensis and chameadorea glauca. just throwing that out there to cloud the waters. 

• Like 2

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Yeah, more I look at lastelliana seedlings, more I am convinced it is D. decaryi x lastelliana. Redneck triangle. Or tri-Red.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stevetoad said:

My guess would be d Madagascarensis and chameadorea glauca. just throwing that out there to cloud the waters. 

A good guess, I say. Both redish and trunk thickness are compatible with such hybridization.

#2, Chamaedorea glauca or do you mean glaucifolia? Well, it has quite a waxy look, maybe, maybe... Trunk base is quite similar to my Chamaedorea radicalis, but #2 leaves are quite stiff for Chamaedorea standards. Here's a photo from a smaller seedling that I separate from #2, still with unclean trunk (ckeck C. radicalis trunk base on its right).

IMG_20200927_112122.thumb.jpg.cf0e878d3ade075d3414c9e842d225e7.jpg

4 hours ago, Frond-friend42 said:

Yeah, more I look at lastelliana seedlings, more I am convinced it is D. decaryi x lastelliana. Redneck triangle. Or tri-Red.

It also may be, it's a valid proposal for sure. They are both approached in appearance, although Redneck trunk is not as slick and thin as #1. Check my D. lastelliana?? trunk and new spear pulling:

g:P_20200725_085342_HDR.thumb.jpg.fb7c632793f9ef3d2d98291393382094.jpg:

BTW, here's another Dypsis ID challenge:

P_20200724_095828_HDR.thumb.jpg.494696b57c5825b2c1639cd9c3be5bab.jpg

Greetings, Luís

Looking again it looks like straight shade grown dypsis decaryi and chameadorea . Here’s a pic of a Cham rad volunteer in my yard 

D0B355FA-9010-40FC-B1AB-4505403AF0B7.jpeg

41BFFB83-849C-480A-B309-43926B0F315D.jpeg

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

15 hours ago, Stevetoad said:

Looking again it looks like straight shade grown dypsis decaryi and chameadorea . Here’s a pic of a Cham rad volunteer in my yard 

Possibly, yes. They both were grown in deep shade, under double canopy (large trees and weeds). You are probably right.:greenthumb:

Any guess on the other two I posted up, #3 & #4?

Greetings, Luís

3 hours ago, Frond-friend42 said:

I believe you. How did you figure it out?

After reading @Stevetoad post and looking at his photos...

On 9/27/2020 at 11:02 PM, Stevetoad said:

...I first compared, again, with my two C. radicalis (trunking and non trunking) and no chance, not the same...but then I looked up at my Chamaedorea costaricana upper trunk, leaves and petiole, and they resembled it a lot.

IMG_20200930_164147.thumb.jpg.de7d658d3456aeb724ad614e67349e87.jpg

Afterwards I made a net search and found this match seedling: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0271/9432/7138/products/IMG_20200716_121131_1200x1200.jpg?v=1594858453

As for #1 I'm still not convinced...and still trying to figure out #3 and #4, let them grow then.

Edited by lzorrito
  • Like 1

Greetings, Luís