IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mexican Fan Fronds Constricted

spdn4fun

Hello!  New to the group and have a question on my newly planted Mexican Fan.  We had 2 Mexican Fans planted back in June here in Texas.  One is thriving and continues to produce new fronds weekly.  However, the other Mexican Fan isn’t doing the same.  I can see new fronds but they almost look like they’re “constipated” and can’t push out.  Is there something I can do to help, or is it just a matter of being patient?  I’m watering it twice a week for 45 minutes.  First 2 pics are the palm struggling to have the fronds pushed out.  Last pic is the palm thriving.  Both planted the same day and watered the same.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The spears look good and healthy, and they are tough palms.  I think you just need to let it get over its transplant shock and don't fuss with it too much.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

They are having hard time establishing. June is a bad time to transplant palms in Texas, but since they made it through the summer they will look great next year. Just don't cut any old fronds until they turn brown and dry out. The one that is doing better may have gotten more water. 

• Upvote 1

I don't see anything on the "stuck" one that would indicate a disease or deficiency.  Sometimes a palm will take a bit longer than normal to get rooted in place and start growing normally.  You could try giving it a small amount of a timed release fertilizer like Osmocote or Nutricote.  Since it likely doesn't have a good set of roots yet, adding any generic "palm fertilizer" or "lawn fertilizer" would probably burn the new roots.  But Osmocote won't.  Some people use "fish fertilizer" with good results, I haven't tried it so I have no experience.

• Upvote 1

Just seen this post, which makes me think the CIDP and Washie issues are both related to transplant shock. The washie will definitely grow out of it as they are fast growers in general and pretty resilient. The CIDP however is going to be very touch and go over the next few weeks/months. Hopefully they will both establish themselves in their spots soon though, with adequate watering and warm, but not hot, weather. .

• Upvote 1

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

1 hour ago, UK_Palms said:

Just seen this post, which makes me think the CIDP and Washie issues are both related to transplant shock. The washie will definitely grow out of it as they are fast growers in general and pretty resilient. The CIDP however is going to be very touch and go over the next few weeks/months. Hopefully they will both establish themselves in their spots soon though, with adequate watering and warm, but not hot, weather. .

Great!  Oh, I’m glad you saw this post as well.  Yes, we had a total of 5 palms planted the same day.  2 Canaries, 2 Mex Fans, and 1 Mediterranean.  Just this one and the Canary I posted about seem to be struggling.  Hard to see the Canary that I posted about I’m this pic but you can see how well the other 3 are doing.

5355770E-9BC8-4080-86A9-93BD441AFE6A.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Merlyn2220 said:

I don't see anything on the "stuck" one that would indicate a disease or deficiency.  Sometimes a palm will take a bit longer than normal to get rooted in place and start growing normally.  You could try giving it a small amount of a timed release fertilizer like Osmocote or Nutricote.  Since it likely doesn't have a good set of roots yet, adding any generic "palm fertilizer" or "lawn fertilizer" would probably burn the new roots.  But Osmocote won't.  Some people use "fish fertilizer" with good results, I haven't tried it so I have no experience.

Thank you, I will look into the Osmocote :)  

3 hours ago, spdn4fun said:

Great!  Oh, I’m glad you saw this post as well.  Yes, we had a total of 5 palms planted the same day.  2 Canaries, 2 Mex Fans, and 1 Mediterranean.  Just this one and the Canary I posted about seem to be struggling.  Hard to see the Canary that I posted about I’m this pic but you can see how well the other 3 are doing.

5355770E-9BC8-4080-86A9-93BD441AFE6A.jpeg

I love the setup in your yard. It's unfortunate that you have had some teething issues with your palms, since planting them. Having seen your other posts though, I think it probably is an issue with transplant shock now, hopefully. I feared the worst initially, but I think you may be okay in the longterm. 

Obviously it is unrealistic to say that they will look great 6 months from now. But hopefully, 2 years from now you will have a great looking yard full of thriving palms that are putting on tons of growth. I think you just need to be patient as they settle in. I have planted palms in recent years that have taken 1-2 years to settle in, so I would assume that is the case for yourself too. Just be patient and keep at it, staying positive. Hopefully things will really pick up come spring.

Good luck pal... :greenthumb:

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

Yes wait at least one year and water it frequently robustas loves water in the heat. If it for some reason is still like this over 1 year later you can as a last measure saw away around 5cm or so of the top of the trunk/crown and it should push out a spear roughly one month later and start putting out fronds after that+-. 

Edited by Palmfarmer
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, UK_Palms said:

I love the setup in your yard. It's unfortunate that you have had some teething issues with your palms, since planting them. Having seen your other posts though, I think it probably is an issue with transplant shock now, hopefully. I feared the worst initially, but I think you may be okay in the longterm. 

Obviously it is unrealistic to say that they will look great 6 months from now. But hopefully, 2 years from now you will have a great looking yard full of thriving palms that are putting on tons of growth. I think you just need to be patient as they settle in. I have planted palms in recent years that have taken 1-2 years to settle in, so I would assume that is the case for yourself too. Just be patient and keep at it, staying positive. Hopefully things will really pick up come spring.

Good luck pal... :greenthumb:

Thank you, it’s been a work in progress over the last 5 years.  Little by little we are making it out oasis :)  Thank you so much for all your input and advise.  I will continue to be patient and giving them to best care I can to help them along.