IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Nine Days

Palmlover_78

Hey, Is only 9 days long enough to start seeing sprouts from Christmas Palm seeds, under good conditions?

Thanks

Nine days is overly optimistic, esp. in NW Ontario. Figure several weeks to several months, maybe longer. I would expect several weeks here in SWFL and that's with ideal conditions of 90+F days, 75-80F nights, sweltering humidity and warm rain. Germinating palm seeds is not an enjoyable activity if you seek instant gratification.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

@Palmlover_78 I've had germination in 2 days, but visible above ground growth might take a bit longer than 9 days.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

they are in seed starter mix, with in a flat tray with a heating mat the temp is about 85F and covered with a dome. and a light overhead , i created there environment to the best i could :),

hopefully buy Thanksgiving i should see something.. Thanks Guys :D

• Like 1

How deep is that tray? Adonidia seeds should be planted in containers at least 6" (15cm) deep as they put out deep radicles.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

On 9/24/2020 at 1:49 PM, PalmatierMeg said:

Nine days is overly optimistic, esp. in NW Ontario. Figure several weeks to several months, maybe longer. I would expect several weeks here in SWFL and that's with ideal conditions of 90+F days, 75-80F nights, sweltering humidity and warm rain. Germinating palm seeds is not an enjoyable activity if you seek instant gratification.

No joke.  I think my Christmas palm seeds (two) took about two months to sprout in April and May here in Florida.

On 9/24/2020 at 11:00 AM, Palmlover_78 said:

Hey, Is only 9 days long enough to start seeing sprouts from Christmas Palm seeds, under good conditions?

Thanks

They germinate very quickly when fresh. The ones you have are from the 1st infrutescense this fall as you know because you were waiting for them to mature hahaha. They were in transit within hours of being picked. If you scroll through the thread linked below from last year you'll see the seed from the same tree would germinate in less than a week under ideal conditions. I'm out of the fresh seed at this moment but the next batch should be ready in about a week. I've also started shipping seedlings of various palms during the past year but haven't included them on the website yet because I'm having trouble getting the shipping cost calculator to combine different types of seeds and seedling costs into the same order so I have to do it manually. Anyone interested in common S FL palm seedlings or a order of various seeds and seedlings can send me a PM. I really need to make a list of seedlings so I'll do that this weekend.

Edit: Although expensive, shipments to Canada seem to go through customs with no problem (being declared as palm seeds on the export paperwork) although it slows shipping time a couple days.

• Upvote 1

Thank you, I had them for 11 days now and four out of 14 seeds have already have started to poke out a root, Is my progress good?

The two Adonidia seeds I germinated in Spring of 2019 took between 6-8 weeks to pop.  Temperatures were between 78-90F where I kept the seeds.

My double Adonidia is about two feet tall now, 16 months after germination.

D015303F-14D3-4451-897E-7C4129E4CEB1.jpeg.b23752f8616ff87eff280f3109059f20.thumb.jpeg.ed06c4a1c3353084443c03d02708136d.jpeg

• Like 1