IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Phoenix hybrid producing fruits almost true to type of real dates

Phoenikakias

1 hour ago, Fusca said:

Nice Konstantinos!  Which hybrid is it?  I've never seen a Phoenix palm flower at that size except for roebelenii.

It is a hybrid between a reclinata crossed with another hybrid of unknown ancestry (probably having also reclinata as an ancestor). I have two such hybrids a female and a male one next to each other so resulted plants from  fruits would actually be f2 hybrids.20200907_180305.thumb.jpg.fddeab6aac04d8401311b0d6cebfaa0f.jpg

Father of those hybrids is this one:

20200908_185244.thumb.jpg.32a55126409b6a5a192bc3b31485650e.jpg20200908_185239.thumb.jpg.6da6ef5cc37fe6faa0300711edb5708b.jpg20200908_185254.thumb.jpg.b0b5b30fbf48c124566d5f14cb074c2e.jpg

Not unusual for a short Phoenix to produce fruits. Last year one small dactylifera bloomed and got real tasty dates from it.

20190914_162653.thumb.jpg.f8f1d2e3f5e2c1a54b47f69d1a5b298f.jpg20190602_193004.thumb.jpg.b235a057beebe222a02f7aaf424af147.jpg20191010_213941.gif.c2f337d330bea8f662489a8748e0a0f5.gif

• Like 2

That's good to know.  My theophrasti and dactylifera/sylvestris hybrid are roughly the size of your mother palm.  My reclinata is still in juvenile stage but will be planted in the ground in February or March.  I'm looking forward to growing the loureiroi x roebelenii that I got from your seeds but it will probably stay another year or so in a container first.

Edited by Fusca
  • Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

This is great. The one next to the small building looks like Dactylifera. True to type means the fruit of the offspring is the same as the mother. Dates are not true to type, but that does not mean the fruit will not be as good as the mother's, it just means it wont be identical. In other words, you can have have offspring with better fruit than the mother. That is how all date cultivars originated that we have today. People then clone the plants with the best fruit to get consistent quality.
If the fruit is good and the plant looks nice that is bonus and I would save some offshoots.

On 9/24/2020 at 9:18 AM, Fusca said:

Nice Konstantinos!  Which hybrid is it?  I've never seen a Phoenix palm flower at that size except for roebelenii.

I also thought it took years for dates to flower, but this summer one of my dactylifera flowered 2.5 years after germinating. 

1 hour ago, Dimovi said:

I also thought it took years for dates to flower, but this summer one of my dactylifera flowered 2.5 years after germinating. 

I'd forgotten about that thread of yours!  So the info that they can flower and set seed early is reinforced!  :)  I hope you can get yours pollinated and get some decent fruit!

Jon Sunder

34 minutes ago, Fusca said:

I'd forgotten about that thread of yours!  So the info that they can flower and set seed early is reinforced!  :)  I hope you can get yours pollinated and get some decent fruit!

I had no male flowers to pollinate with, but I'm hoping next year I will.