IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cool dypsis possibly a hybrid

Stevetoad

I got this (baronii complex) dypsis from the quaman a few years ago. I don’t know what it is for sure and it might be a hybrid. It’s a sort of slow but steady grower. Cold is no problem. Heat is no problem. Full sun no problem. It has some nice color and fuzz too. Sorry Brett but no give backs on this one :p 

4CEAAB18-9A2F-42AD-B22E-BFD47D5B546E.jpeg

271A3368-2A2E-47A2-B525-811B9C3D1E4E.jpeg

86934BA3-F589-4EDA-A0F1-237063EA707A.jpeg

E09DF58F-F467-43AB-AB86-CE8611BB1ABA.jpeg

423E559A-BF59-4013-AEF5-3807C42002AB.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

With the ramenta I'd say it looks like D. heteromorpha.

• Upvote 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Just now, MattyB said:

I agree. The leaves are really floppy and light compared to my heteromorpha. Its been in full sun for about 2 years now so I would have thought that it would be more stiff leafed by now. Im not 100% sure but i think it might be showing signs of splitting. Im not sure if heteromorpha splits or suckers. I know you do. Are there any other things that i can look for to tell if its is Heteromorpha or not? If it is that would be great! hope it will look like yours one day. 

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Steve,

I've got a couple D. heteromorpha in close proximity to compare with.  If it is, it sure grows a lot better & looks a lot nicer than they do.  Still, could just be a lot of variation within the species. I remember Bill Austin picking up seed at the base of a nice sparsely clustering palm, but it didn't look like these have turned out. And so far, all have remained solitary, while both heteromorpha I have are clustering.  With the reddish fur, I've even considered a hybrid with D. leptichielos or lastalliana. Unlikely I suppose, but that would be neat. Or years ago, I think it was Daryl in Queensland would post a super colorful, furry palm like this that he referred to as "sp. 251" or something like that. 

• Like 1

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

31 minutes ago, quaman58 said:

Steve,

I've got a couple D. heteromorpha in close proximity to compare with.  If it is, it sure grows a lot better & looks a lot nicer than they do.  Still, could just be a lot of variation within the species. I remember Bill Austin picking up seed at the base of a nice sparsely clustering palm, but it didn't look like these have turned out. And so far, all have remained solitary, while both heteromorpha I have are clustering.  With the reddish fur, I've even considered a hybrid with D. leptichielos or lastalliana. Unlikely I suppose, but that would be neat. Or years ago, I think it was Daryl in Queensland would post a super colorful, furry palm like this that he referred to as "sp. 251" or something like that. 

It doesn’t look like my heteromorpha. Matt has 3 heteromorpha that all look different too. He was saying yesterday that he’s not convinced that anyone has the true heteromorpha. Here’s mine at roughy the same size. Lots of fuzz all the way up the petioles and the crown shaft isn’t red. 

8D0495D0-90B9-4B90-8EE2-FAB5B32BA35C.jpeg

4D3101B3-B2FF-4802-87B2-943B56078AD4.jpeg

• Like 1

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Great looking Palm Steve. I have seen pictures in Jeff Marcus garden of lepto x Cabadae a cross that splits and has red fuzz with kind of floppy leaves maybe that's a thing ..

On 9/23/2020 at 10:13 AM, Stevetoad said:

Im not sure if heteromorpha splits or suckers.

I only have one Dypsis heteromorpha not 3 like Matty, but I'll share that mine has suckered from below the soil as well as suckers coming off the base of some of the larger shoots, but it hasn't really split from one growing point into two.

On 9/23/2020 at 10:07 AM, MattyB said:

I know that you (Steve) and Matt discussed the possibility of it being heteromorpha as well as Matt questioning whether any are "true" heteromorpha.  However, I do have to go back to the name which in Greek would refer to "different form".  Perhaps the floppy leaves are within the span of these different forms.  The other possibility is a hybrid with something we know as "heteromorpha" even if Matt is right and all the plants we are growing as heteromorpha are in fact something different.  It is interesting that it is slow if it is a hybrid.  What is going around as Dypsis heteromorpha has been a quick grow and vigorous sucker for me.

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

6 hours ago, Tracy said:

I only have one Dypsis heteromorpha not 3 like Matty, but I'll share that mine has suckered from below the soil as well as suckers coming off the base of some of the larger shoots, but it hasn't really split from one growing point into two.

I know that you (Steve) and Matt discussed the possibility of it being heteromorpha as well as Matt questioning whether any are "true" heteromorpha.  However, I do have to go back to the name which in Greek would refer to "different form".  Perhaps the floppy leaves are within the span of these different forms.  The other possibility is a hybrid with something we know as "heteromorpha" even if Matt is right and all the plants we are growing as heteromorpha are in fact something different.  It is interesting that it is slow if it is a hybrid.  What is going around as Dypsis heteromorpha has been a quick grow and vigorous sucker for me.

The one going around is a beautiful plant. Glad I got one. Matt said the name means the same as you said. He thought that it meant that it implies that it changes lead form and it gets bigger. All of mine have had the same leaf form all along. 

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

That’s going to be a great palm bigger Steve. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

• 5 months later...

So 6 months later I can say that it’s definitely splitting. 

56A756FE-5DEE-4EF8-89FC-F1922C11572D.jpeg

DD230F66-A75D-4172-859E-E0F42BB1A002.jpeg

92EDCDF5-9AF9-47E9-AB28-7C666AE87152.jpeg

• Like 1

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean