IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Jacksonville Florida Shopping for palm trees

Jaxxx12

Looking to get a few palm trees in or around Jacksonville Florida,

any suggestions on where to get the best prices palm? 

looking for 2 silvestris possibly with some queens and a Christmas palm

I would check out the Home Depot or Lowe’s or even the Walmart garden center.  Adonidia and queens should be easy to find in the Jacksonville area (Spring would be an even better time to find a bunch of marginal stuff (meaning they are borderline cold hardy in the area in question) at the big box stores), though Adonidia is not cold hardy anywhere in the greater Jacksonville area, so plan to keep it potted.  Phoenix sylvestris is a common palm in Central Florida, but I just don’t recall seeing many small ones for sale at the big box stores.  Maybe they are and I just look through them because that species doesn’t interest me.

-Michael

• Like 2

Check out the Home Depot on Atlantic at Girvin. They order unusual (for a big box store) stuff with amazing prices. 

I hauled this across the Mayport Ferry to Fernandina Beach where I used to live. 

EF8A2B8E-1182-443C-A0F1-D47A99C7BE56.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Try Jax Palms, right off Atlantic Blvd just before you cross the ditch to get to the beach. Best prices I’ve found, and so far excellent customer service. If you’re looking for something potted, you may want to wait until next spring/summer when all the pop-up nurseries start selling in parking lots around town. I helped a buddy grab a Sylvester in a 30-gal pot for $50 a few weeks ago right before one of those places closed up shop for the year. The thing is already huge now.

And I agree that Walmart really has some surprising palms and deals if you look around.

Earthworks Jax even has a YouTube channel.

Here is link to the channel trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4RELIPsl_w

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

I was just there for the same purpose.  

You will be hard pressed to find crownshaft palms in jacksonville. I looked all around and saw one 3-trunk at the home depot Nick mentioned. None at any lowes. I wound up getting a Foxtail at a HD closer to St. Mary's. 

Jax Palms had some big sylvesters for like $500-$750 delivered/installed. They were HUGE.

Earthwork Jax had very big palms as well. Only crownshafts were a few large King Alexander's. 

I asked multiple palm nurseries why I couldn't find them and they said no one will guarantee them because it gets too cold in the zone.

• Upvote 2

I see Leonardi's Nursery by the St. Augustine Lighthouse has two large containers of Ptychosperma elegans for $299.  Leonardi's has a great assortment of tropical plants in general you don't normally see in northeast Florida. Really tempted to give them a try, especially since they are large.  I have had a very tall King Palm under very large live oak canopy for quite a few years.  I suspect the Ptychosperma elegans could survive here too in St. Augustine near the water, but I haven't seen any here.  What do y'all think?  There are multiple properties with King palms and even some Royals that have been living close to a decade here.

Lou St. Aug, FL

9 minutes ago, Lou-StAugFL said:

I see Leonardi's Nursery by the St. Augustine Lighthouse has two large containers of Ptychosperma elegans for $299.  Leonardi's has a great assortment of tropical plants in general you don't normally see in northeast Florida. Really tempted to give them a try, especially since they are large.  I have had a very tall King Palm under very large live oak canopy for quite a few years.  I suspect the Ptychosperma elegans could survive here too in St. Augustine near the water, but I haven't seen any here.  What do y'all think?  There are multiple properties with King palms and even some Royals that have been living close to a decade here.

Best place for Ptychosperma elegans is next to a building blocking wind from the north and west.  I'd say give it a roll.

• Like 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F