IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dwarf Sabal minors in Texas

Swolte

Hi all, 

I thought I'd share this spectacular Facebook post from the local plant legend Adam Black yesterday (He's OK with me sharing it). Does anyone live nearby this population to check for seed?

"The coolest find today was a population of miniature Sabal minor! There are several well-known sites in Florida with similar dwarf plants, but this is the first I have heard of from Texas. Note how they are mature at this size with the old inflorescences...a normal young Sabal minor would not flower at this size, there would be fewer leaves, and they would not be this divided. Like some of the FL dwarfs, these are growing among normal-sized plants...you can see one in the back of the photo with my backpack for scale. Saw about 20 of these tiny palms scattered along the base of a hill just above a floodplain in Liberty County Texas. Someone really needs to investigate further into these dwarf occurrences that come true from seed. No seed on these unfortunately."

Adam 1.jpg

Adam 2.jpg

Adam 3.jpg

Adam 4.jpg

Edited by Swolte
  • Like 11
  • Upvote 4

I second your request. I have a intense interest in what I call "uber dwarf" Sabal minors and I am eager to try seeds of this version. Too bad there are none at this time. I'm trying TX Sabal minor 'Welfare' but it will be nowhere near as tiny as these.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I also would like to stay tuned for a dwarf Sabal minor that comes true from seed.  It would be an excellent candidate for commercial distribution, too.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, RaleighNC said:

Cool. Seems smaller than Wakulla Dwarf.

As well as Blountstown Dwarf

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

5 hours ago, Swolte said:

Does anyone live nearby this population to check for seed?

Did he give any more specifics as to where in Liberty County?  I'm about an hour from there and pass through on my way to Beaumont for work about once a week.  

• Upvote 1

I just asked but the site is limited access. Adam said he will monitor for seed (through proper permits). I'll keep you all posted if I learn more!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Swolte said:

Hi all, 

I thought I'd share this spectacular Facebook post from the local plant legend Adam Black yesterday (He's OK with me sharing it). Does anyone live nearby this population to check for seed?

"The coolest find today was a population of miniature Sabal minor! There are several well-known sites in Florida with similar dwarf plants, but this is the first I have heard of from Texas. Note how they are mature at this size with the old inflorescences...a normal young Sabal minor would not flower at this size, there would be fewer leaves, and they would not be this divided. Like some of the FL dwarfs, these are growing among normal-sized plants...you can see one in the back of the photo with my backpack for scale. Saw about 20 of these tiny palms scattered along the base of a hill just above a floodplain in Liberty County Texas. Someone really needs to investigate further into these dwarf occurrences that come true from seed. No seed on these unfortunately."

Adam 1.jpg

Adam 2.jpg

Adam 3.jpg

Adam 4.jpg

Those are adorable.  I feel kind of silly using that adjective to describe a palm, but it was literally my first thought upon seeing them.

• Like 4

I want one! :D

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

Wow those literally look like a little grass clump! I love when new minor varieties are found, and there are likely many more out there! Thanks for sharing this post with us. 

• Upvote 1

PalmTreeDude

On 9/27/2020 at 9:58 PM, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Wow the crab grass around these parts grow taller then those :lol:

Haha same here!

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Interesting find.  My sister lives in Washington county, TX and has native Sabal minors along the creek banks in lower region of the property.  None of her’s that I have seen appear to be dwarfs. Her’s do produce some seed.  Very nice palm there @Swolte

• 2 years later...