IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Princeps trunking

WSimpson

The first picture is of my Nainital . 

The second is the trunk of my Princeps . The lower trunk is about as fat as it is going to get and it's beginning to move upward . The last picture is an overview of the palm .

IMG_0040.JPG

IMG_0041.JPG

IMG_0042.JPG

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, RJ said:

Hows the hardiness? I've got three that are still waiting to go in the ground. 

I think they are as hardy as a regular Trachy . Someone may know more than I do about that  , but I was told it was  just as hardy , and my Princeps has never had any damage and has seen as low  8F during  the three years it has been in the ground . You should be fine since I've seen Washys grow in your area . 

• Upvote 1

Yes I have some large washies growing just down the road from me, that are doing just fine CIDP's as well. 

Do you protect your princeps in winter? Tony Avent from Plant Delights Nursery told me that he has tried it multiple times but with no luck. He doesn't protect them, though.

No , I don't protect it . I was told it was as hardy as Fortunei . Maybe it's not ? I'll check around on the internet . It handled  8 days below 32F three years ago with 2 lows of 7F during that period and highs in the upper 20'sF much of the time during that period  with no damage . 

Edited by Will Simpson
  • Like 1

That is encouraging.  I have a couple in the ground, but I will definitely be giving protection for a while.

o

On 9/21/2020 at 6:40 PM, RaleighNC said:

That is encouraging.  I have a couple in the ground, but I will definitely be giving protection for a while.

In my previous  statement I said that it handled 8F , but it actually handled  he winter in 2017 that was considered a hundred year cold spell with 8 days in a row here  below 32F and two of those  days the  lows were  7F and many highs were upper 20'sF . So it's been in the ground for 5 years counting this year , and survived the 100 year event  . It is well sited though . 

Will

o

Edited by Will Simpson