IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Fan Palm Theme back yard.

Briank

So need some ideas or Palm recommendations that I might not have.

will post some pics later.    I am doing a Fan Palm theme in back yard.     Been collecting lots of them and planing the past few years.  And I know there’s others I don’t have and would like thoughts on what is missing.  

there is not much shade,  most of yard site in full sun.  Things are growing but I had this idea and think it be cool to show off cool, unique and regular Fan Palms.  Doesn’t have to be Uber rare just want cool looking Fan Palms.     So I have as follows: 

Brahea Edulis 

Brahea Dulcis Blue and Green Form 

Brahea Elegans 

Brahea Decumbens 

Brahea Clara Blue 

Trachycarpus Princeps 

Trachycarpus Fortunei 

Livistona Languinosa 

Livistona Nitida 

3 Bismarkia Noblis 

2 Livistona Fulva 

Trithrinax Accanthocoma 

Sabal Pumos 

Sabal Muaritiformas (Still in 15ga Pot) 

2 sabal Yapa (Still in 5ga Pot),

Washingtonia Filifera (2@ 15ga Pot) 

Pritch Beccariana Hybrid 

Pritch Hildibrandii 

Prich Martii 

Pritch Sp. (Beccariana Hyrbid?) 

Prich Loweyrana 

Prich Minor 

Palms I have lost :

Livistona Enduensis 

Livistona Victoraie 

Brahea Sarukhani

Brahea Pimo ! Ugh still upset on this one 

Chamerops Volcano ( Had to remove to do bad placement) 

What other Fan Palms are a Must have and will grow in full sun and in Clay soils.  

My wish list Includes 

Brahea Pimo 

Tahina Sp 

Trachycarpus Martianus 

A Wrightii Blue 

Cocothrinax Bardensis Azul 

Chamerops Humulis Volcano 

Any thoughts or ideas be great.   I’ll post pics later today.  

Wow, that's a   LIST.   How big is your "back yard"?  LOL

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

50 minutes ago, WaianaeCrider said:

Wow, that's a   LIST.   How big is your "back yard"?  LOL

It’s not huge.   It’s L shape but big enough to place a bunch of Palms that are slow medium growing.   It’s all in how you do it and planning.   

• Like 1

@Briank How about Nannorrhops?

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Latania...one of the three, or them all... Slow growers, but for what I've seen from your place overall characteristics I think you should try and push them.  

Greetings, Luís

7 hours ago, Briank said:

It’s not huge.   It’s L shape but big enough to place a bunch of Palms that are slow medium growing.   It’s all in how you do it and planning.   

While it may all be full sun now, once you get some of those palms growing there won't be much sun left or ability to see the crowns of many.  Having some clear sky isn't a bad thing, particularly if you have some that will grow faster than others.  Of course "It's not huge" is a relative term as well, so we can only speculate as to what that means in hectares, square feet or acres.

Rather than planting multiples of some of the larger species, maybe substitute some smaller palms.  Just as a yard with exclusively pinnate palms one could "pine" for some diversity, you might want to consider mixing in some pinnate palms in your back as well.

Some smaller fan palms you could add if you provide them with sufficient sun both now and as faster growing species fill in:

Coccothrinax species: crinita, argentata, miraguama

Mostly medium to large size fan palms missing from your list are any of the Copernicia species.  Because these are slow here in California, you wouldn't want to overplant around them and end up having them get shaded out, which would even further stall their growth here in California and make them more vulnerable.  I would sketch your yard and plug the plants in on a  map with mature sizes so you can visualize what 3 mature Bismarkia's will take in footprint, along with the other palms you listed.  When they are all small, it's tough to visualize how they will spread.  I thought I planted my Bismarckia nobilis with plenty of room, but it's pushed over the adjacent Dypsis pembana on one side and lutescens on the other side.  I'm waiting for the neighbor to start complaining about the pressure it's putting on his queen palm on the other side of the wall.  Three Bizzies plus the list of other palms you have provided will cover a big footprint.  Post a picture or two of what you have already planted.

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

I have a 3 gallon C. argentata, that you’re welcome to, if you want it.  It needs to go in the ground.  It’s a nice palm, whose sibling is doing well, in my front yard.

Edited by The Steve
  • Upvote 1

On 9/20/2020 at 8:04 PM, Tracy said:

While it may all be full sun now, once you get some of those palms growing there won't be much sun left or ability to see the crowns of many.  Having some clear sky isn't a bad thing, particularly if you have some that will grow faster than others.  Of course "It's not huge" is a relative term as well, so we can only speculate as to what that means in hectares, square feet or acres.

Rather than planting multiples of some of the larger species, maybe substitute some smaller palms.  Just as a yard with exclusively pinnate palms one could "pine" for some diversity, you might want to consider mixing in some pinnate palms in your back as well.

Some smaller fan palms you could add if you provide them with sufficient sun both now and as faster growing species fill in:

Coccothrinax species: crinita, argentata, miraguama

Mostly medium to large size fan palms missing from your list are any of the Copernicia species.  Because these are slow here in California, you wouldn't want to overplant around them and end up having them get shaded out, which would even further stall their growth here in California and make them more vulnerable.  I would sketch your yard and plug the plants in on a  map with mature sizes so you can visualize what 3 mature Bismarkia's will take in footprint, along with the other palms you listed.  When they are all small, it's tough to visualize how they will spread.  I thought I planted my Bismarckia nobilis with plenty of room, but it's pushed over the adjacent Dypsis pembana on one side and lutescens on the other side.  I'm waiting for the neighbor to start complaining about the pressure it's putting on his queen palm on the other side of the wall.  Three Bizzies plus the list of other palms you have provided will cover a big footprint.  Post a picture or two of what you have already planted.

I will take pic.    But I have been layering these palms accordingly.   Taking into account ones that grow slow and ones that grow faster.    I have also added some Kings and Queens in between several to add separation of just a glob of Fan palms.  

Just like I did with my Jungle in Front, I always over plant and add or subtract as you go.   It’s much easier in my opinion to do that.  Things always die in the process. 

And example would be I have a Brahea Edulis that was 15 ga when planted.  

on both sides of this Palm is a Livi Languinosa and Fulva.    Those are Slow Palms.  I’ve also staggered them in a way so when they do grow one is in front or behind the other.   

There is always a way to make them growing in groups, especially since no Palm grows the same in speed. 

I also buy them at different sizes I’m not starting them out all at 1ga size.   

I only have 1 Bizzy in backyard planted the other 2 are in the Front.  It’s got its own Space.   

My Issue w Copernecia palms are they are way to Slow in CA.  I only have 1 and it’s ALba.   

My backyard has Pinnate Palms scattered and layered back there, but over theme I would like Fan palms.  My front yard has Tropical Jungle Theme and has a few Fan palms but is mostly large Tropical Palms.  

Id like to have All the Livistona and Brahea Species that will grow in So Cal.  I’m not a big Sabal Guy but I have 2 back there.  

Trachycarpus are good grows and work well in between larger fan palms.    Have Princeps and Waggies   Can’t find Martianus growing anywhere.  It’s on the wish list   

Brahea Brandeggei 

Brahea Aculeata 

Brahea Armata 

Brahea Nitida 

Brahea Moorei 

Livistona Decora 

Livistona Alfredii 

Livistona Muelleri 

Livistona Mariae 

Livistona Chinensis 

Livistona Saribus 

Trithrinax Campestris- slow but steady. 

Serenoa Repens- blue or green or both.

Rhapidophyllum Hystrix 

Zombia Antillarum 

Sabal Tamaulipas- something different than most minors. 

Hemithrinax Ekmamiana- already suggested,  I 2nd this one :greenthumb:

• Upvote 2

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

On 9/20/2020 at 5:09 PM, Briank said:

I have one in Front Yard.   Might be good plant in back as well.  

I see you have Bismarckia.  If you have a spot that's suitable for what is effectively a thinner version of it, try Latania loddigesii:

http://www.palmpedia.net/palmsforcal/Latania_loddigesii

Latania in Ellenton

A few other Bismarckia relatives you might like:

Hyphaene coriacea: https://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Hyphaene_coriacea

Hyphaene thebaica: https://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Hyphaene_thebaica

Medemia argun: https://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Medemia_argun

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

On 9/20/2020 at 12:11 PM, Briank said:

Call me a skeptic in fitting all those in as adults. The most common error I have seen in planting ut a blank slate is misjudging how large full grown fan palms can be and spacing them too close.  Many fan palms have big crowns and are more difficult to pack than pinnate palms in bunches.  So plant a slow grower next to a faast one and the crowns wont compete for space, just ensure adequate sun by exposure, smaller one towards the west. Some need to be shade loving as those bizzies and washies will put up some shade much faster than others on the list.   I would put in the fast ones first(to a plan/map) and let them grow in a bit, then add slower more shade tolerant palms.  For your area the brahea clara blue is a must and it needs direct full sun(away from bizzies, washies).  Proper spacing of such an ornamental palm demands some clearance around it to frame it.For example, my copernicia fallaensis(20'+ now) has no other palm within 25' so the crown is visible against the sky and so the color is maximum.  For light colored palms(blue, grey) shading just about kills the color to the observer regardless of palm wax. on the palm.  I am interested to see your plan, you can fit a lot of palms if you layer.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

12 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

I would put in the fast ones first(to a plan/map) and let them grow in a bit, then add slower more shade tolerant palms.  

I like the idea of a map with approximate crown diameters sketched out.  Because I'm an engineer I sketch my areas out in AutoCAD, but that's only because I learned to use it in the 90's.  But you could easily sketch the layout shape on paper or in any computer Paint program and then draw your various circles for each plant.  I found it easier to print out a bare layout and sketch them, then put in each palm in AutoCAD as I planted them.  Without a layout on paper I'd get stuck in "paralysis analysis" with too many options.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

Call me a skeptic in fitting all those in as adults. The most common error I have seen in planting ut a blank slate is misjudging how large full grown fan palms can be and spacing them too close.  Many fan palms have big crowns and are more difficult to pack than pinnate palms in bunches.  So plant a slow grower next to a faast one and the crowns wont compete for space, just ensure adequate sun by exposure, smaller one towards the west. Some need to be shade loving as those bizzies and washies will put up some shade much faster than others on the list.   I would put in the fast ones first(to a plan/map) and let them grow in a bit, then add slower more shade tolerant palms.  For your area the brahea clara blue is a must and it needs direct full sun(away from bizzies, washies).  Proper spacing of such an ornamental palm demands some clearance around it to frame it.For example, my copernicia fallaensis(20'+ now) has no other palm within 25' so the crown is visible against the sky and so the color is maximum.  For light colored palms(blue, grey) shading just about kills the color to the observer regardless of palm wax. on the palm.  I am interested to see your plan, you can fit a lot of palms if you layer.

I have been doing this.

I plant Fast ones First, then I plant the really slow ones staggered next near by.   Because The backyard is South Facing, the sun Exposure is All Day even if the Larger one grow up and will block the slower ones, they will get 2/3 full sun still. 

I always Plant the Larger Palms/Fast first, then I will Plant accordingly after that.   

I do a lot of planning mainly because my dad loves to water the shit out of everything, so I have to plan to plant the ones that dont like to sit in water next to ones that do cause he will over water! He has killed a few this way so i know better.   I also have cycads i am going to mix in with the Landscapes and have told him a million times do not water ! hahaa.

I Have a planter that runs 90' across my backyard that i want to plant some Palms in but the soil is old and dry.. I need to amend it alot and get it better before I plant some nice ones in there   I really want to cover the back Fence all the way acorss.. 

THanks for the Ideas,   I will look out for some of these to start collecting and Plotting.    I Truly do not mind seeing a bunch of Fan Palms in JUngle Type Group.  I thnk it will look very INteresting and Cool.    Cant wait to take pIcs along the way

15 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

5D5CB0DC-4313-44C5-8A6A-1B0B8A49CAC3.jpeg

D4694D38-112E-4B0C-8EBF-2381590CE306.jpeg

F644B5AF-C4D2-49D2-820E-8C39A0DD02AF.jpeg

2958C0B3-3F83-40AF-A0D2-37F843754E0E.jpeg

39D03677-3B3A-47FD-9116-F75DA00EE833.jpeg

DCC94346-5F0F-4968-80B8-7E60D4834C1C.jpeg

1F562B64-2B01-46C5-B404-C6CCF21FDFE0.jpeg

1A3578E9-1025-446F-8814-7742B15D9009.jpeg

F49ECA3C-566C-4C7C-9E5A-F465E25040F6.jpeg

5E34452F-727D-4B52-A430-4AB8C4D3890F.jpeg

2772480D-9287-4A02-8EDB-B6DA9FB32BB1.jpeg

EC24EA28-9152-4AD2-843B-5F9ACD8EFAF6.jpeg

• Like 4

Brahea super silver, would fit in nice with your other braheas, or a brahea Brandegeei. Here’s mine.

DA3B11D2-8896-4F10-93BF-991226C1F257.jpeg

Edited by xoRudy
  • Like 4

Looks like a palm fanatic owns that house!  Good luck!  Remember that the summer sun is out of the N(E rise,W set), winter out of the south(E,W).  SInce there is little little growth in winter, the north facing is going to get better hrs of exposure.  SO I would place larger palms to the south of the smaller ones that need sun.  As they grow in, that place will be crowded like a jungle.  Sounds like you are planning ahead instead of spontaneous planting.  Im looking forward to see how it all grows in, that is exciting! 

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

9 hours ago, xoRudy said:

Brahea super silver, would fit in nice with your other braheas, or a brahea Brandegeei. Here’s mine.

DA3B11D2-8896-4F10-93BF-991226C1F257.jpeg

I just Planted a Nice 5GA in Front yard on the Street!   I had 4 small seedlings that for some reason just crapped out.  Was hoping to plant some in back.  I can get another 5 ga no problem and Im planning on doing so.  

i think I have Brandeegi but not 100% sure.   Nice Palm.  Love Brahea

• Like 1

Wow, you have a pretty amazing collection. I have a Sabel maritima which isn’t a fast grower but is beautiful. Perhaps try an Attalea cohune and maybe a thin Trachycarpus. 

Keep the photos coming!

22 minutes ago, Matt from LA said:

Wow, you have a pretty amazing collection. I have a Sabel maritima which isn’t a fast grower but is beautiful. Perhaps try an Attalea cohune and maybe a thin Trachycarpus. 

Keep the photos coming!

I would love to try Attlaea but I think they Marginal here,  Just like Raphia,  huge palms that love to be near WAter.... And they get so big not sure i have the space haha but maybe next Landscape Ill try.

i have several Trachy Carpus Princeps in Pots and in the ground i love em.. I have one Waggie n Front yard going well... I really want a Martinaus Trachy but cannot find anywhere!