IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

That time of year we all dread up north

Rickybobby

Hey everyone fall has hit hard abs fast. We had our first frost the other day and all the farmers here in southern Ontario lost there crops. Well crops that are tropical like veggies and tobacco. The palms has to come In but here’s a great pic of my foxtail 15g with my little girl for size. 

9F66A739-2049-4FB9-A4B2-CDCB7CF3D35D.jpeg

• Like 9

Side note as some have seen my YouTube channel. These foxtails are bulletproof indoors and outdoors here at 43 degrees north and they grow fast all year round 

1 hour ago, Rickybobby said:

The palms has to come In

I hear you Rickybobby,  that dreaded time of year.  I marked my calendar for Oct 15th as that is usually a warning for frost in my area.  Our killing freeze is around Nov 15 each year as our proximity to the ocean gives us some borrowed time.  I mentioned on another post that I have found a local commercial greenhouse to board all my potted palms, citrus, and orchids for the winter.  They charge on a square ft basis and this will be a relief for me until I build a solarium or greenhouse.

Great photo by the way--if you didn't mention Ontario I would have thought the photo was taken in Florida with that Foxtail!

Your success so far north gives me hope! Although this spear hasnt opened and a second one is coming in. I can tell it tried, maybe its all stuck together or it needs some boron. I might go with the boron first to see if that isnt the problem.

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 4 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 4 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 2 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

On 9/22/2020 at 7:12 AM, sashaeffer said:

Great job with the Foxtail! how long have you had it and how do you overwinter?

This foxtail had one a year. It goes to my dads where has has very tall ceilings with floor to ceiling windows. This allows for the tall spear height. It gets no artificial light at all

• Like 1

Here in coastal NJ (Zone 7), my first hard frost is also some time in mid November. Most of the hypertropical palms (coconuts) are still outside, but this season is still a LOT of work. I have been taking some Citrus and bananas into my garage/greenhouse in stages.  Still pretty warm at around 80 F and the cold front lows coming are held in check by the Atlantic Ocean for the time being. It's still the nicest time of the year here though..., usually very sunny and relatively dry.  Native trees are shedding foliage big time due to excessive dryness, so it feels more like like November in terms of raking.

wow you guys had frost down there eh

so far there have been two mornings where i got up at 3-4 am and turned the bbq on with an oscillating fan above it to try and keep the yard a degree or two warmer

the one morning i started to see my breath and brought a thermometer outside.. it read 3.5C!

i got a small electric heater out for an hour until the sun started to warm things up

looks like i will be plant sitting a couple of foxtail palms over the winter...

a friend bought them in the spring but does not have tall enough ceilings

i convinced my Mom to let them live in the front hall which is two stories

i will make a thread and post some pics soon