IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

When are Parajubaea seeds ripe?

Collectorpalms

Anyone harvest and or germinate fresh parajubaea seeds? Normally, seeds that fall from palms that are green are immature and not viable. However are parajubaea seeds viable when they are large and green, OR only once they turn brown? I am Looking at a buying a few “fresh” seeds out of California, and the green thing bothered me. 
thanks,

Ryan

88BB62EE-892E-45FA-859A-2426DBEF7B06.jpeg

8406CC14-387C-4B9E-967A-AE9A60CE5199.jpeg

E0946255-4668-4FFC-81D1-9E00F26839E7.jpeg

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 2

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

I'd rot the flesh off in a plastic bag and then very carefully "de-lid" them.   They look pretty mature to me and green seeds can be viable.   If you don't de-lid you could be in for a very long wait as these are super-slow without persuasion!  Good luck.

• Like 2

I had around 20 green fruits of Parajubaea torallyi var. microcarpa from California that looked exactly like the ones in your picture. 3 germinated, 2 of which rotted. The 1 remaining is growing well.

Bugger to clean, but viable. I cleaned mine by cutting as much flesh as I could off first, fixing each one in a vice and blasting them with a pressure washer. Dried for a couple of months then cracked the endocarp off in a vice.

Edited by Jonathan Haycock
  • Like 1

For those of you that frequent Facebook, I’ve set up a group called “Pommy palms”, where many of the palms I’ve seen since emigrating to Australia have been documented. If you wish to be a member, copy and paste “Pommy palms” into Facebook to view the page and click “Join group”.

I bought a box last year that looked identical. When I removed the mesocarp, half were light in color and weight. A few were coconut color, but none germinated. I still have them in the box waiting hopelessly.

I would also like to germinate some, but only if the seeds are reliable.

Where are they for sale?

Edited by Dimovi

Are they edible? They look like coconuts.

If so, tasty?

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

On 9/26/2020 at 12:44 AM, Dimovi said:

I bought a box last year that looked identical. When I removed the mesocarp, half were light in color and weight. A few were coconut color, but none germinated. I still have them in the box waiting hopelessly.

I would also like to germinate some, but only if the seeds are reliable.

Where are they for sale?

Probably the same seller on ebay. I am going to try and rot the cover quick and then putting them in containers of sterile potting mix and see what happens. I would go through RPS but they are just so unreliable.

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

Just curious of which species of Parajubaea are you guys trying to grow?  I was advised that P. sunkha was probably the only option here and not much chance east of IH-35 due to higher humidity.

Jon Sunder

Who. Know. Seller says parajubaea Torallyi microcarpa. Based on the seeds shell itself.. I don’t think Sunka or hybrids grow too fast in the humid south either. I have grown then in pots ok. So If I have any luck I’ll send them to elsewhere. It’s more for fun anyhow. 

14 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

If I have any luck I’ll send them to elsewhere. It’s more for fun anyhow. 

Sounds reasonable to me!  For what it's worth I planted a 3-gal P. sunkha last spring and it's survived 2 summers in the ground and one "winter".  It's just recently started pushing new growth again but certainly not quickly.  We'll see how it does after a real winter, but I think it will be OK.  Hope you can get some seeds to germinate if you get those!

Jon Sunder

14 hours ago, Fusca said:

Just curious of which species of Parajubaea are you guys trying to grow?  I was advised that P. sunkha was probably the only option here and not much chance east of IH-35 due to higher humidity.

I am trying Parajubaea torallyi. I got it at the end of last year, I planted it in the spring and it made it through the summer.

On 9/26/2020 at 11:30 PM, GottmitAlex said:

Are they edible? They look like coconuts.

If so, tasty?

They look and taste like coconut, just smaller. It is not just Parajubaea, Butia and Syagrus seeds looks like coconut and the endosperm tastes like coconut too. Makes senses, they are all related.

By the way Parajubaea is not ideal name as it is more similar to Cocos than Jubaea. How about Paracocos :)

• Like 4