IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Coccothrinax borhidiana question

Mark@PalmBeach

What would be the best soil and water conditions for this palm in south florida? The palm that is pictured, how old do you think it is? It is not mine, but I have an opportunity to buy it. How much do you think it is worth? IE What would you pay for it?

IMG_1824.thumb.jpeg.d7932333d7cba9e35ff2c4c4e54d826e.jpeg

• Like 1

Hot and humid Loxahatchee Florida. 16 miles inland from

West Palm Beach in Palm Beach County

This species does well with any free draining soil;mound planting might be helpful in your area as they don't like constantly wet feet. 15 gallon plant is probably about 12-15 years old and I would expect to pay $350-$400 in S. Florida. How's that?^_^

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 2

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Thanks for the reply, that is very helpful. They are asking for more but I don't  see them that size come up very often for sale.

It was kind of hard to judge the size from only the one picture and it's been awhile since I've lived there and visited the palm nurseries, but $400 still seems to be a fairly standard price on a 15 gallon borhidiana. Good news is that that particular plant is a pure borhidiana as there are a lot of hybrids out there.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

Great thanks! Those examples are great to get a comparative idea of cost  and good to hear it is not a hybrid.

Here's what the hybrids look like.Cheaper,similar looks, and 3x faster growers.Standard borhidiana are very slow.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

16007150078638749026394468364160.jpg

16007150479132370540134112660063.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Mesa, Arizona

19 minutes ago, aztropic said:

Here's what the hybrids look like.Cheaper,similar looks, and 3x faster growers.Standard borhidiana are very slow.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

16007150078638749026394468364160.jpg

16007150479132370540134112660063.jpg

Do you know what they cross it with?

Crossed with miraguama I believe.Very pretty palm,nice tight compact growth,less fiber,but MUCH faster growth.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

• 2 months later...
On 9/19/2020 at 4:48 PM, aztropic said:

It was kind of hard to judge the size from only the one picture and it's been awhile since I've lived there and visited the palm nurseries, but $400 still seems to be a fairly standard price on a 15 gallon borhidiana. Good news is that that particular plant is a pure borhidiana as there are a lot of hybrids out there.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

how can you tell the difference? I am about to buy one, a small one with 3 leaves, but I don't know what to look for to make a difference? Or you can't tell when they are still young? I really don't want a hybrid one.

On 9/21/2020 at 3:25 PM, Frond-friend42 said:

Do you know what they cross it with?

well now looking at it you can really tell that its not the same. The leaves are not circulating at all, am I correct with that?

Fronds are pretty much identical between the two... Visual difference is the burlap.On a pure borhidiana,the tan burlap comes up along with the new spear and is almost as long.First pic that started this thread shows it well.On the hybrid,little to no burlap comes up with a new spear and is whiter in color.Starting with a small plant is going to be a crapshoot on what an older plant will actually look like.Unless seed was collected from the wild in Cuba,chances are good you will end up with a hybrid,as young plants really don't show the trait.My first pic shows hybrid borhidiana spear.Second pic shows pure borhidiana spear.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20201123_131613778.jpg

IMG_20201123_131854173.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

6 hours ago, aztropic said:

Fronds are pretty much identical between the two... Visual difference is the burlap.On a pure borhidiana,the tan burlap comes up along with the new spear and is almost as long.First pic that started this thread shows it well.On the hybrid,little to no burlap comes up with a new spear and is whiter in color.Starting with a small plant is going to be a crapshoot on what an older plant will actually look like.Unless seed was collected from the wild in Cuba,chances are good you will end up with a hybrid,as young plants really don't show the trait.My first pic shows hybrid borhidiana spear.Second pic shows pure borhidiana spear.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20201123_131613778.jpg

IMG_20201123_131854173.jpg

I'm wondering if these are pure borhidianas. My reason is the first opening pic, and in Riffles Encyclopedia, these are so close to the trunk as to have little to no petiole. These pics here, however are held out slightly. This makes me think this is also a hybrid.

First pic is hybrid borhidiana.Second pic is pure borhidiana.Again,FIBER LENGTH is a key identifier for this species... Petiole length will vary with the amount of direct sun the plant receives.This particular plant is actually in all day shade now, under other palms, and petioles do stretch.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona